DVDVR Message Board

Clash of the Champions XXXIX - 9/27/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I've enjoyed every I've seen on the Show Nak/Cesaro ve Lucas House Party was really good.

The 3 way latter match was great too. 

Apollo vs Lashley was good. 

ASUKA vs Vega was a nice squash.

Street Profits vs Garza and Andrade was excellent and I thought Dawkins was really impressive here.

I skipped to the Main Event, I've always been a fan of wrestlers shit talking their opponents especially when that person is really in control, like someone just mentioned Mark Henry. Not in a forcefully cinematic way like the latter Shawn Michaels WrestleMania matches or NXT Takeover main events. 

Roman brought it here, This was up there with his match with Brock at WrestleMania 31 because he was laying shit in, it was a fight. Yeah the storytelling was heavy especially at the finish but the execution was so well that it didn't seem forced.

I been saying for years if people listen to the few interviews and podcasts Roman does he shows all of arrogance and self confidence that he wasn't allowed to bring on of tv and in the ring until now thats why I'm loving this run. I'm sure he probably booked this angle with Jey. On paper its a great story plus the Uso's always deliver.  Both the Uces are guys anyone can bank on to have a great match with. Also remember they were killing it with the Shied in those tag team title matches before Roman was getting any type of significant push.

I really got emotionally caught up in that match , WWE/NXT tries to force it but this was perfect. I'll go back and watch Bayley vs Asuka and Drew Vs Orton but I enjoyed every match I did see

• Like 1

Cesaro/Nakamura vs. Lucha House Party was quite good.

Ladder match seemed nice enough, but it didn't have my full attention until the ending stuff with Sami and the handcuffs.

Asuka/Zelina was pretty nice. Zelina had to get clever to take control and fight to keep any of it with Asuka just being that much bigger and stronger than her. 

Lashley/Apollo is another match that seemed fine, but didn't have my full attention.

Profits vs. Andrade/Garza was good once against despite that clearly fucked up finish. 

Dug everything with Bayley. Loved her promo leading into the Asuka match and then dq leading into Sasha finally gaining some vengeance

Orton/Drew did little for me.

Roman/Jey was fantastic storytelling from beginning to end. Shit talker Roman was fully released here, and it was glorious. I loved how out of depth Jey was. That poor bastard never stood a chance though he fought hard and refused to give Roman what he wanted. 

This was a generally solid show, but damn did that main event make it something truly worth remembering.

57 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Who'd of known Roman is such a great, natural jerk?

55 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Mark Henry would approve Roman Reigns trash talking. One of Mark's biggest strengths.

Just a reminder that Roman was talking trash during his Shield days, and it was good stuff then as well. Here though, he took it Henry levels.

• Like 3

Two small complaints -

1) Are we going with another ref botch spot? And again with Rod Zapata none the less? I'm getting really, really tired of these, there's been so many in the past few months.

2) The two world championship matches had a lot of...stalling to start the matches. And I don't mean the good kind, like Memphis heel stalling, I meant the intros took forever, etc.

I love the subtle split with the Usos too. Jimmy coming in a tthe end and telling Roman he's the Chief, it's his WWE etc just adds more layers to the story going forward.

Jey never backed down. Jimmy bent the knee.

What next though? Do the Usos eventually submit as a team and back up the Chief? Do we get Jey reluctantly following his brother until he's had enough? Jey Uso, Rumble winner? Why not?

Some people speculating we get Rock v Roman at Mania but I see 3 issues with this - 

The natural end is to have someone beat Roman for the title. Rock shouldn't be going over anyone, let alone the biggest, baddest, coolest heel on the roster.

No way COVID is done in 6 months. I doubt Rock trusts WWE to look out for his health and the insurance issues with Hollywood would be insane.

Rock has just come out, very publicly, to endorse Biden. That has got to piss Vince off.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, The Green Meanie said:

I think most people who saw him in the Shield when they were heels would've at least guessed.

I haven't paid close attention to WWE in a long time, but isn't this the kind of character people have been clamoring for Reigns to play for years and years?

• Like 3

I'm on an island with the main event. Thought it was fine, did what it needed to do, stunned at the level of praise for it.

Here are 3 things I didn't like about it:

- My enthusiasm for it took a hit once I heard audible dialogue from both guys

- Never bought that Jey could win, so the hope spots did nothing for me

- I, and I'm sure many of you, knew going in that the point was for Roman to kill Jey. Predictable doesn't mean bad - as in, given that setup, that's the direction they should go with the story. Predictable DOES mean it's tougher to get a reaction from me. And when they put so much emphasis on that story beat, especially with the repetition ("Say I'm the Tribal Chief" over and over) it just makes me think that they're either very impressed with their predictable story, or they think I need to be hand-held through it. Both of those things are bad.  Ultimately I just don't get how people can be so in love with something they had to know was going to happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Green Meanie said:

I believe when he first started in FCW he was playing a very entitled rich football player or something. This has been simmering in him for years. Just imagine if they let him do all this after he beat The Undertaker.

The show's bar was so low yet the ladder match was a great opener. They were killing each other like they were wrestling in front of 5 people for Ian Rotten in IWA Mid South. Sami with the handcuff through the ear hole was great. Hopefully he has a long run as champion.

I really hope the Apollo/Lashley feud is over. Bobby destroyed him and it's time to move on. The Hurt Business vs. Retribution could be fun. Not likely though.

Asuka vs. Zelina was a pretty good match. Of course Asuka ends up ignoring all the work done on her arm but hey at least the ending with her wanting to kill Zelina for suckering her with a kick means this feud will last at least one more month. I thought it was dumb to have her be the "we have no one else to wrestle" opponent for Bayley. They could have just skipped to Sasha trying to attack her.

Orton vs. Drew was good. I found it amusing that everyone he attacked got their payback. I have no idea who challenges Drew now (it's gonna be Seth...meh).

Roman vs. Jey went better than anyone thought it could have. The first half was so slow, but when Jey tried to start winning and Roman got more and more pissed it was great. All the CALL ME THE CHIEF stuff was amazing. SAY IT. SAY IT. Jimmy begging for his brother's life and telling him that he is. Heyman must have a hand in all of this. I can't imagine WWE came up with anything this good.

Overall what should have been a disaster of a show was actually really good.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Orton/Drew was a pretty great blowoff to that whole feud. I thought Randy would be the guy to take the title next but I'm glad for Drew's reign to continue. 

I want Drew to take it through to Mania and drop it to Keith Lee.

Roman fights Rumble winner J. Uso 

Main Event is Bayley vs Banks (Rumble Winner) - Last Woman Standing

• Like 1

Shit-talking heel Roman in the Shield was why he won (I think he won?) March Madness that one year. He used to say so many awesome things in all of those Shield 20-minute classics against whoever. I was especially fond of him paintbrushing some face clawing his way back to his corner while Roman said "Did I give you permission to go over there? NO!" before blasting him. They also did a spot once where The Shield had to regroup on the outside and some fan was yelling at him and Roman said "HALFTIME ADJUSTMENTS FOOL!"  

I think the all-time best Heel Shield shit-talk though was when Dean told someone trapped in their corner "You're in the baaaaad part of town." 

I need to see this match.

• Like 4

WWE really was sabotaging Roman Reigns the entire time. Look. The fans hated Roman Reigns when he was a vanilla, white meat babyface right? So give them an actual reason to hate him. That's how it is in wrestling. Vince tried to turn Reigns into his new Hogan and it failed EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. And all I ever heard "he sells too much merchandise, he sells too much merchandise." Who gives a flying f***?!

Rusev sold merchandise too and they did jack crap with him. 

Not like they don't make merchandise for heels either. Geezus. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Some people speculating we get Rock v Roman at Mania 
The natural end is to have someone beat Roman for the title. Rock shouldn't be going over anyone, let alone the biggest, baddest, coolest heel on the roster.

I see Rock wanting to put over Roman if they work a Mania match.  The only way Rock goes over is if Vince insists he does. Why put Rock over unless they do the Cena deal and they do a Rematch at the following Mania or Summerslam. Its most likely Roman vs Big E which im all for for many reasons. That match will deliver, both guys are great Big match wrestlers and Big E hasn't even had many Main Event singles matches. I'm not ready for Roman to loss the belt anytime soon but even if he puts over Big Eat Mania atleast it'll still be a fresh matchup that hasn't been run into the ground plus it'll give reasons to put Roman up again Kofi and Woods in singles matches that's fresh too. 

• Like 1

Rock shouldn't go over anyone, especially someone they're giving a massive world title push to, but he went over Punk in 2013. Then you had Bautista winning the Rumble and Goldberg getting a world title win so who knows what other questionable decisions they're going to make. 

I realize he isn't related, but if they're going to have someone challenge Roman for "tribal chief" status, I'd rather it be Samoa Joe. Speaking of which, is there any word on what his in-ring status actually is these days?

I'm glad Drew won, though him needing help from three other people doesn't exactly put him over strong. I get the sinking suspicion we're going to get a blowoff match at HIAC next month.

• Like 1

Yeah, that main was a real good match. Methodical pace, well sold (Roman checking his shoulder and his jaw was great), stiff enough (both guys can throw a right that hits like Dustin), and Roman took advantage of the empty arena to shit-talk constantly in order to fill the air and tell the story. They deserve a violent blowoff after this, maybe it's because I just saw one but I'd like a chain match. Maybe if Jimmy is better with whatever ailment (leg?) he has he can be the avenging angel. And what was up with Jey's arm btw? The way he had it wrapped up looked like he accidentally walked into pyro, but then he took it off and I thought that maybe he was trying to protect a new sleeve tat. 

2 hours ago, L_W_P said:

I love the subtle split with the Usos too. Jimmy coming in a tthe end and telling Roman he's the Chief, it's his WWE etc just adds more layers to the story going forward.

Jey never backed down. Jimmy bent the knee.

What next though? Do the Usos eventually submit as a team and back up the Chief? Do we get Jey reluctantly following his brother until he's had enough? Jey Uso, Rumble winner? Why not?

Some people speculating we get Rock v Roman at Mania but I see 3 issues with this - 

No way COVID is done in 6 months. I doubt Rock trusts WWE to look out for his health and the insurance issues with Hollywood would be insane.

Rock has just come out, very publicly, to endorse Biden. That has got to piss Vince off.

Rock already got COVID, so he's prob got immunity long enough to do something.