DVDVR Message Board

Predictions for the Best of the 2010s

The Natural

My big missed viewings are: Silence, Phoenix, Cold War, Only Lovers Left Alive, Columbus and a missed opportunity to rewatch [i]L'Illusioniste[/i] (I'm a huge Jacques Tati fan and regularly put 2-3 of his films i the Top 10-20 of my all-time lists so I expected to love this animated version of an unmade Tati script but it left me rather cold the first time and I intended to rewatch it before this poll, alas...)

Edited by caley
  • Like 2

@caley, always enjoy your thoughts. Because you mentioned Top 10-20 all time do you have one in mind you’d be willing to share?

Ones I missed that I wish I had time to watch: Museum Hours, Story of My Death, The Act of Killing, No Home Movie, Get Out, Norte the End of History, and From What is Before. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Octopus said:

@caley, always enjoy your thoughts. Because you mentioned Top 10-20 all time do you have one in mind you’d be willing to share?

Ones I missed that I wish I had time to watch: Museum Hours, Story of My Death, The Act of Killing, No Home Movie, Get Out, Norte the End of History, and From What is Before. 

My DVDVR ballot for the all-time poll (which was somehow already over three years ago!) was

20. Rocky
19. M.Hulot's Holiday
18. Rio Bravo
17. Manhunter
16. Ride the High Country
15. Mon Oncle
14. Make Way For Tomorrow
13. Ikiru
12. Planes Trains and Automobiles
11. Fargo
10. Yi Yi
09. In A Lonely Place
08. Spirited Away
07. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
06. Play Time
05. Heat
04. Once Upon A Time in the West
03. The Big Lebowski
02. The Tree of Life
01. It's A Wonderful Life

I probably wouldn't re-do much of now, I'd probably have Rio Bravo way higher (Maybe swap it straight up with OUATITW).

• Like 2

We probably had this conversation back then, but placing Planes Trains and Automobile ahead of Ikiru is one of my favorite rankings ever. Realest dude in the room.

Tree of Life being two all time tho....

3 minutes ago, Control said:

Ride the High Country as the highest Peckinpah entry is also something.

I don't even know what my fave Peckinpah would be. Probably Convoy. Then Cable Hogue/Staw Dogs/Fredo Garcia.  

Haven't seen Ride the High Country so no comment. 

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

We probably had this conversation back then, but placing Planes Trains and Automobile ahead of Ikiru is one of my favorite rankings ever. Realest dude in the room.

Tree of Life being two all time tho....

'Ikiru' is one of those films that had a profound impact on me and I was so blown away when I found a Criterion DVD copy at Value Village which I have watched exactly 0 times since I bought it. So that weighed into my rankings: I love both movies but one I watched at least twice a year, and 1 I haven't watched in some 15 years.

And man, I adore TOL. I also love that you can read it in two entirely different ways: about a guy reliving his childhood and the role of God in his life and a vision of their afterlife; or a guy daydreaming, reaching out to God and receiving no answer and having a dream of the afterlife before realizing it was just a dream. There's a completely rewarding narrative on the importance of faith or the absence of God at the same time that seems to be entirely based on your own interpretation or mood on the day that you watch it.

52 minutes ago, Control said:

Ride the High Country as the highest Peckinpah entry is also something.

The ending of RTHC is one of the most, for lack of a better word, "manly" things I've ever seen with a guy just standing up for what he thinks is right, knowing full well no one else really cares and that he'll probably die, but that he's going to stand up for his principles regardless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Control said:

So where’s High Noon, then?

(like Jae, I haven’t actually seen RTHC. Boring ol’ Wild Bunch for me!)dvd version of it

I'm pretty sure 'High Noon' would have been on my list (I bought a big fancy DVD set of it after all) but while 'High Noon' is kinda stately and noble, 'Ride the High Country' is a little gritter and more badass in its nobleness. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

And Gary Cooper is great and all, but Joel McCrea and Randolph Scott as former lawmen in the twilight of their years and their era are perfect in those roles.  

Randolph Scott!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, caley said:

I probably wouldn't re-do much of now, I'd probably have Rio Bravo way higher (Maybe swap it straight up with OUATITW).

I love Rio Bravo, but it straight leapfrogging Liberty Valance is a controversial choice in my book. And now I'm curious where I ranked both of those on my GOAT list...

Going through the GOAT reveal thread recently, I've come to the conclusion that I'd re-do a bunch.

Edited by Andy in Kansas

5 hours ago, Execproducer said:

And Gary Cooper is great and all, but Joel McCrea and Randolph Scott as former lawmen in the twilight of their years and their era are perfect in those roles.  

Gary Cooper and Gregory Peck are two of the biggest names in acting that I can think of that don't connect to me very well. I just haven't found my in with them. Like I love Cape Fear and High Noon, but in both cases it has little to do with them.

8 hours ago, Control said:

Now you are trolling 

Convoy is awesome. They create a revolutionary movement by driving big trucks together and pissing off cops. It's practically the most important movie of 2020 made in 1978.

On 9/28/2020 at 1:57 AM, RIPPA said:

We could redo the GOAT every six months and my ballot would be wildly different every time

Same here. My Top Twenty Greatest Film of All Time Ballot to go with my friend, @caley's:

20.  Dawn of the Dead (Romero, 1978) [#161] *HV*

19.  Se7en (Fincher, 1995) [#76]

18.  The Usual Suspects (Singer, 1995) [#156] *HV*

17.  Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Gondry, 2004) [#37]

16.  Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968) [#246] *HV*

15.  Almost Famous (Crowe, 2000) [#104] *HV*

14.  The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Hooper, 1974) [#188] Only two who voted for it.

13.  The Crow (Proyas, 1994)

12.  Shaun of the Dead (Wright, 2004) [#171] *HV*

11.  Die Hard (McTiernan,1988) [#63]

10.  Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (Radomski/Timm, 1993) [#118] *HV*

9.    WALL·E (Stanton, 2008) [#27]

8.    Let the Right One In (Alfredson, 2008) [#121] *HV*

7.    Batman Begins (Nolan, 2005) [#226] *HV*

6.    Memento (Nolan, 2000) [#41] *HV*

5.    Pulp Fiction (Tarantino, 1994) [#2]

4.    Unforgiven (Eastwood, 1992) [#20]

3.    The Dark Knight (Nolan, 2008) [#42] *HV*

2.    The Shawshank Redemption (Darabont, 1994) [#23] *HV*

1.    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Leone, 1966) [#7] *HV*

Edited by The Natural

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 3:21 PM, The Natural said:

I've made this thread for previous film projects so here's for the latest one.

Highest ranked animation film will be Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Confident in that call.

Taika Waititi has a shot at the director who appears the most. Paul Thomas Anderson will be up there.

I think Mad Max: Fury Road will come out on top. Parasite has a chance. Get Out as well. I'm probably drawing a blank on others. What am I missing?

Avengers: Infinity War or Captain America: The Winter Soldier is the highest ranked MCU entry.

Coco beats Toy Story 3 as Pixar's highest movie.

Correct predictions in bold. 

• Like 1