DVDVR Message Board

Predictions for the Best of the 2010s

The Natural

I've made this thread for previous film projects so here's for the latest one.

Highest ranked animation film will be Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Confident in that call.

Taika Waititi has a shot at the director who appears the most. Paul Thomas Anderson will be up there.

I think Mad Max: Fury Road will come out on top. Parasite has a chance. Get Out as well. I'm probably drawing a blank on others. What am I missing?

Avengers: Infinity War or Captain America: The Winter Soldier is the highest ranked MCU entry.

Coco beats Toy Story 3 as Pixar's highest movie.

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2020 at 2:54 PM, Bill S. Preston ESQ. said:

Paul Thomas & Wes Anderson, Denis Villeneuve, The Coens, Alfonso Cuaron had a pretty strong decade.

Not so sure on the Coens. Some people will probably go high on Inside Llewyn Davis, but aside from that I'm not seeing a lot of locks. Maybe I'm underestimating how much support there is for True Grit or Buster Scruggs. 

• Like 1

Okay, I'd like to make some predictions regarding the results for the first half of the decade:

Her won't be close to number one. I think there's a chance it drops out of the top ten altogether.

Looking at the top ten and the way best of the decade lists and discussions have gone elsewhere, I think Whiplash will hold its ground better than just about any of the others.

There'll probably be a bunch of superhero movies, but Guardians of the Galaxy ain't making anything close to eleven. That one's going to drop like a rock. 

Inception will experience a sharp drop but remain Nolan's highest-ranked film. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Not so sure on the Coens. Some people will probably go high on Inside Llewyn Davis, but aside from that I'm not seeing a lot of locks. Maybe I'm underestimating how much support there is for True Grit or Buster Scruggs. 

True Grit definitely made my list. Once I found out it was from the voting period that is. For some reason I had it in my head that it was from 2009. 

1 hour ago, MavsFan77 said:

True Grit definitely made my list. Once I found out it was from the voting period that is. For some reason I had it in my head that it was from 2009. 

Without tipping my hand too much, I considered a decent handful of what turned out to be 2009 films. So you’re not alone in having a poor memory for things that were close to that line. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I don't think I ever looked at that poll for the first half.

No way Under the Skin and Black Swan stay that high.

Under the Skin is an interesting case. While certainly looking at a drop from third place, on lists I've seen elsewhere it's had impressive staying power. Not sure how that'll translate here.

Black Swan, on the other hand, is largely absent. Noah and mother! happened, but Aronofsky feels like he hasn't existed in well over a decade. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

If "prurient reasons" were why it's memorable to you, I'm not sure we were watching the same film.  That's one of the single least sexual pieces of nudity ever committed to film, which, given the actor in question, is a pretty goddamned remarkable piece of work from her and the director.  I'd rate it pretty highly if I were submitting a list (but I'm not, because, seriously, fuck aggregating).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Is there really anything worth noting for Under the Skin other than for prurient reasons?  I recall it being like a pastiche of 70s artsy sci-fi. 

All I'm going to say about that is if "prurient reasons" affected my vote then Black Swan would have stayed nearly as high on my ballot as it was for the half-decade poll. It has dropped quite a bit. As for others mentioned that I rated highly then, as I finalize my ballot I don't know if I'll have room for True Grit. There is no room at all for Whiplash.

Edited by Execproducer

Does prurient reasons mean bewbs? I'm not going to google it.

Also Under The Skin pretty much set the table for A24's sci-fi and horror offerings up until now. You basically have Blumhouse style Conjuring flicks or Under the Skin style art house dread. And some other stuff.

On 9/10/2020 at 4:44 PM, odessasteps said:

Hopefully none of you vote for Silence.  What a terrible viewing experience that was.

On 9/10/2020 at 4:55 PM, Andy in Kansas said:

@odessasteps I turned Silence off after about fifteen minutes. So I'm doing my part. 

Very high on my list. I was nervous going in but it exceeded my expectations and I found it to be an layered experience. EDIT: to each their own, my friends!  I enjoyed the pacing of it but totally see why people dislike it for various reasons. I’ll try and make a post once ballots are posted with spoiler tags as a “in defense of” type thread. Similar to what I did for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. ?

I’m not a Scorsese guy. I enjoyed The Irishman, watched it with my wife while drinking Laphroaig and Disaronno. Coming to think of it, I poured myself 5 or so of those so maybe I was in the right zone. I didn’t enjoy Shutter Island, missed Hugo, liked The Wolf of Wallstreet.

Edited by Octopus

I was a big Marty guy as an undergrad, seeing most of his 70sand 80s stuff for the first time. I really haven’t dug anything since Gangs of New York as much as his peak stuff. 

I appreciate  him more for all his film preservation And introducing me to Powell and Pressberger. 

• Like 2