DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 9/9/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Cody is such a mixed bag because he does some things, really important things, very well. Like great. Those promos ever since the start of AEW got a lot of people on board and his in-ring work has improved a lot. But there are certain creative decisions and life choices... Ahem... That just boggle the mind.

• Like 2

Honestly, the thing that I hated the most was seeing Burnt Chrysler having something to do with that game show. I fucking can't stand him at all. Or his fake as fuck high pitched laugh. He's one of the most unfunny comedians and he's been coasting off of one gimmick, being a shirtless fat drunk, for way too long. I love Tom Segura and can never understand what he or anyone else sees in Kreischer. He's just so fucking dumb. Unbelievably dumb.

I care more than Cody is doing something that Burt is doing. If Burt weren't doing it, I wouldn't even care.

• Haha 1

If Coy is turning heel, I think the game show announcement was brilliant.  All his friends and family are getting their asses kicked on a nightly basis, fighting for his honor, and he’s out here with a shit-eating grin, making Rednecks Got Talent.  There is no greater heel move.

• Like 5

Vince will never do it, but for the good of wrestling, NXT and AEW should be kept on separate nights. It's in WWE's best interests to do that. The more they can grow NXT viewership wise, the more people will tune in to eventually see those people get ruined on Raw or SD! They're never going to get anywhere competing on the same night.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

Agreed 100% on this. Like I was waiting for it when he was referencing Navarro and then even more with all the submission names. JR even helped pull some more context out of Excalibur in one instance. Best I've heard from commentary in a long time and it really does feel like they had a meeting on it after the rock bottom ppv job. I am anxious enough right now. I don't need my wrestling commentary team beefing to add to it. 

I do have one complaint.  I wish he'd tuck his shirt in.

Congratulations to AEW on joining the millionaires club!  Not the best shows this or last week, but I think it's in part a testament to their consistency.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Vince will never do it, but for the good of wrestling, NXT and AEW should be kept on separate nights. It's in WWE's best interests to do that. The more they can grow NXT viewership wise, the more people will tune in to eventually see those people get ruined on Raw or SD! They're never going to get anywhere competing on the same night.

I wouldn't be surprised if his main objective is still to just try to fuck with AEW viewership. But I'd be happy to see USA pull him aside and say look we do better on Tuesdays,  make the move. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I do have one complaint.  I wish he'd tuck his shirt in.

Congratulations to AEW on joining the millionaires club!  Not the best shows this or last week, but I think it's in part a testament to their consistency.  

This isn't the first time they've been over a million.

Haven't read through this thread yet, but did AEW hire one of WWE's writers to script this show?
-Miro debuting in a lame-duck wedding angle that nobody cares about? Sounds like Miro's last WWE return.
-Jericho saying that he and Hager are going after the tag titles despite barely beating a lower-tier team and Jericho not even seemingly trying to get his World Title that he never really got his rematch for (Did he get a rematch at Moxley? I don't remember one...)? That's very reminiscent of the WWE's booking of Kofi Kingston.
-FTR standing in the ring mocking teams at ringside and those teams just standing there taking it, not going into the ring to do anything about it? Sounds like WWE booking.
-The announcers spending the last 30-40 minutes of the show constantly talking about Cody's post-show announcement? Well that's more out of the Nitro playbook...

----

That Matt Hardy segment was dogshit. Hardy coming out and thanking the fans for caring about him without really addressing what was so fucked up about the situation. JR defiantly saying "HE LOOKS PRETTY GOOD TO ME!" as a shot at anyone who worried about him. No apology to your lead ref (Whom you were very quick to pat your back over making your top ref a woman, but not enough to stand behind her when she makes the RIGHT decision!) for being overruled. 

That FTR segment was lousy. FTR are a lot like Triple H, guys who think they are really funny but aren't. It's okay, not everyone is funny. They should just shut up and let Tully talk for them. 

JR laughing away at the Bucks kicking Marvez in the head before the other announcers try to talk about the "horrific" assault was really funny, even moreso when Ross acted serious about it later in the show.

Look, I like Miro and think he's a solid signing. But this was as much of a deflated fart debut as they could give him. Hey, you know that guy who's really only AEW claim to fame is that his girlfriend is a much better wrestler than him? Yeah, well Miro is his Best Man for a wedding nobody cares about! It would be like if you brought back Rusev after a yearvoff in the middle of a Bobby Lashley-Lana wedding segm-....oh. Plus someone should tell Miro that Brodie Lee already has the "bitch about Vince" gimmick, he's going to need to come up with something else.

The Omega interview as good, as was the Hangman one.

Also Jake Roberts last week talked about "busting a nut", this week talked about "getting wet". At some point, he's just going to be straight up reading erotica on the air as a way of promoting his charge's upcoming matches: "Jon Moxley, the Murderhawk Monster is coming for you. Her mouth was intensely ovoid, an almond mouth, of citrus crescents. And under that sling, her breasts were like young fawns, sheep frolicking in hyssop – Psalms were about to pour out of me."

Main event was great (until the rushed ending) which is especially funny as the combined age of the participants was 91 years! How is Dustin's Cross-Rhodes so much better than his brother's after the latter has used it as a finisher for YEARS? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was hoping this would happen, but can't say I'm all that surprised. The numbers were doing well despite all the changes due to the playoffs, and they also shot up last week when they weren't head to head with a new NXT episode. Coupled with everything else and coming off a PPV, it makes sense they'd do a number like this.

I think it's more impressive that this happened with all the pandemic related setbacks. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that they felt this show just flew by and I'm really feeling that the next day. They packed a lot in but at the same time it didn't actually feel like I sat down for 2 hours.

Yeah the pacing on these shows is nice. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

I wonder how much it is and is perceived to be a flow on from the NBA playoffs

I was going to mention.  This number was up against one of the best NBA playoff games of the year.  I had to pause AEW and come back to it later.  If not for the game this number might have been even better. 

1 hour ago, caley said:

Hey, you know that guy who's really only AEW claim to fame is that his girlfriend is a much better wrestler than him?

Aaron Solow?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dynamite = 1.016 million viewers 0.37 in 18-49. 45 million per year in TV/Media payouts.

Raw = 1.725 million viewers 0.48 in 18-49. 450 million per year in TV/Media payouts.

Khan and AEW are in line for a massive increase in TV/Media payouts when their current contract ends in 2022/23. 

WOW!

Edited by Flair’s Shadow
  • Like 1

Hey yall, dunno if this was covered already, apologies if it was, I might have missed it

Is the game show supposed to be the second AEW show from back at the start of the year? Seems dumb if the second show is nothing but a game show, assuming that's what TNT did

Or is it something where AEW gave it some promotion as gratitude for all the AEW promos airing on the Finals and other programming? Like, is the second AEW show still unannounced or was this game show the "second AEW show"?

Legit unsure ? I'm probably reading things out of context in this thread but I get the feeling this is the new AEW show?