DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 9/9/2020

Dolfan in NYC

So either Tay's knee was hurt legit, or she's really good at selling.

I'm probably the only one that laughed when Puf came out as the first fake best man. If he's wrestling on Dark next week, that might be something. Not sure who he would gel with in AEW though, outside of Orange...

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

VERY excited to see Miro! show up tonight...  I've been out of the news loop so I had no idea he would be signing.  Awesome.  

But I want to talk more about the young talent in this company.  I feel like I've been discussing this a lot lately but it's worth discussing some more.  Ricky Starks AGAIN tonight hit it out of the park.  This guy reminds me so much of Nation/Corporate version of The Rock.  He's also a good worker.  I don't see how he isn't in main events down the road for years to come.  Him and Darby remind me of The Rock vs. Triple H in around 1998 where you knew you were watching the future of the company. 

Wardlow is a guy that I often forget about because he doesn't wrestle much right now but he also has a ton of potential. Big dude.. good wrestler..  kind of has the Roman look going for him..   his turn on MJF is shaping up like Batista on Hunter..   but I wouldn't mind if they played this out for another 6 months or even a year down the road. They have plenty of time.  I can't believe WWE missed on him.  

All of this, and it’s why I made that post about house cleaning. The roster is ridiculously deep, and you can have that same “this is the future of the company” reaction to any of Allin/Sammy/MJF/Starks/JB/Fenix. Even Hangman isn’t exactly old (6 years younger than Keith Lee, to put that in perspective). 

Im with you that Starks is my guy. But the young talent is just stupid. It’s why I struggle to understand why Matt Hardy is cutting 5+ minute promos on the same show.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Tying this back to wrestling, I wonder if they still even have room for PAC once he's able to return, with this amount of high end talent on the roster? I'm concerned, since he has been one of my absolute favorites since like 2014.

I felt like that promo was setting up Kingston, Butcher and Blade vs the Lucha Bros and their little British friend at some point when possible 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This could just be a personality flaw of mine, but I love petty shit. I’m always down to hear disgruntled former employees tell their old boss to go fuck himself, and no one (outside of maybe Cardona) has a more legit gripe than Miro. I’d listen to two hours a week of FTR and Brodie and Cardona and Miro calling Vince & Hunter pieces of shit. But again, I suspect there’s something wrong with me...

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, just drew said:

This could just be a personality flaw of mine, but I love petty shit. I’m always down to hear disgruntled former employees tell their old boss to go fuck himself, and no one (outside of maybe Cardona) has a more legit gripe than Miro. I’d listen to two hours a week of FTR and Brodie and Cardona and Miro calling Vince & Hunter pieces of shit. But again, I suspect there’s something wrong with me...

Yeah, me too. I chalk it up to being a fan of ECW when I was about 15 or something and it blowing my mind to see dudes talk crazy shit about WWF and WCW. That NEVER happened before I saw it in ECW.

If you can sound good doing it, then go for it. Talk that shit. Just not all the time. I thought Miro's promo was really good, dude was feeling himself while giving the promo, and I loved it.

• Like 2

I don't mind Miro starting off on some undercard stuff with weaker roster members since he sort of excels on all parts of the card, as a heel or a face, serious or goofy, and makes everyone he works with better and gets everything over. Him swooping to the top when he's ready feels just fine to me.

Was that FTR cake supposed to look like the Lagunitas IPA label? Are they working a hop-head dad gimmick? They are billed from Asheville...

Brodie vs. Dustin didn't have a single wrestling move in it through the entirety of the first PiP commercial break. Fuckin' dope.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Talent like Miro, FTR, and Lee can go off about glass ceilings and brass rings because those are the types of wrestlers we said the same exact thing about for years. Now if Tay Conti came in and gave that promo, it would sound ridiculous and undeserved. I definitely can understand why people don't want to hear the same thing every time a new talent from the other company comes in, but at least the gripe is pretty legitimate. 

• Like 4

Good show.  Entertaining.  

The opening MJFY2J promo was fine, but do we need the cutesy trucks parked perfectly.  I like the idea of both thinking the other is a loser, but I never dig magic cameras.  

Luchas-Jurassix was an excellent opener.  I dig Kingston, but his 'we need to stick together' bit is already tired.  I do like that they're doubling down on the non-elimination.  I hope it leads to a TV main against Mox.  

I could barely follow the Jake Roberts promo - my eyes were on that shirt (with the wonderful rectangle of snakeskin across the chest), and the idea of a TV pilot featuring Roberts going shopping making wardrobe choices.  *Speaking of bad taste: I'm thinking about that incredibly lame emocore Archer theme song and wanting to hear it again.

Matt Hardy segment was cornball and a complete waste of time.  I believe he was being genuine, but the whole thing felt disingenuous.  I guess it had to be done.  I'd like to see them follow their own lead with the no entrance openers, and cut in after the entrance for this kind of crap.  

OC-Angelico was fine.  I want to care about Besties and PnP.  I like both teams, and I hope the match is good.  That said, I'm completely bored with all these goofy guys.  Besties shirt is pretty rad tho.

Nice to see Marvez eat the superkick party.  Simple but effective segment.  

The Sabian segment certainly could have been tighter.  I didn't want to like it, but Kip's showing some flow on the mic.  The Pillman Jr portion gave me a bit of laugh.  I haven't seen more than highlights of Rusev, but I have a feeling I'm going to dig this man's business.  I shouldn't have liked this segment and I agree it was lame, but somehow it kinda worked for me.  I like that he's 'the Best Man'. 

Why on earth is a no DQ stip necessary for Janela/Kiss-Jericho/Hager?  I was confused there and thought Audrey was allowing a blatant chair shot until commentary mentioned the No DQ.  The match itself was fine.  I'd really like to see AEW stop devaluing stips like No DQ or Cage matches or whatever.  There's nothing here that happened that required a No DQ.  I dig Jericho and Hager going on a team pursuit.  And curious to see who they end up feuding with.

MJef promo was fine.  Glad the cartoon campaign is over.  Wardlow being under contract to Mjef is a good way of keeping him put.  I don't mind waiting on the emergence of Wardlow.  Too many big guys being protected and semi-forgotten as it is.  

Mox, Tully and Sparks were all on point.  The FTR segment could certainly have been tighter.  I did like the digs on SCU, Billy and especially the quick one on the Privates.  Seems a bit silly that all the teams would come to the ring for FTR's 'announcement'.  Looking forward to the Jurassix-FTR.  Both Luchasaurus and even moreso 'Jungle Jack' have been looking good lately.  I dig that they threw up a non-title clause - makes sense (and I appreciate that).  

Conti's debut was slightly disappointing.  I'd really liked her work in the tag cup.  Seemed like she and Nyla weren't quite flowing.  Certainly not bad, but I hope she bounces back with a better worked bout.  And a win.  Nyla winning here makes sense.  I like heel manager Vicki, but it might be a mistake putting her with Nyla.  If it means Nyla losing her mic time - she had gotten pretty good.  Whereas a ton of other ladies who have little to no ability on the stick could prolly better benefit a lot more from corner lady Vicki.  But it is what it is.  

I really liked Kenny getting the sitdown with JR.  Kenny is really funny to me in a way that doesn't take away from what he's saying, but just flat out entertains me.  Something about how he phrased 'singles action' made me chuckle.  Very stoked for the return of the Cleaner.  

The Page sitdown was fine, but, as mentioned, I'm tired of sadsack Adam.  Please return the give no fucks cowboy shit that made everybody care about him in the first place.    

Brodie Lee-Dustin was terrific.  As expected.  Kinda wish they'd replayed the Dustin promo from the PPV beforehand.  Got a chuckle seeing Brodie tell Colt to get lost. 

Lastly, commentary was much better tonight.  Tho, my audio had them a bit lower in the mix.  Judging from some of the crowd noise I was hearing I think they may have utilized a canned crowd effect (sounded a bit generic).  I may be wrong.  Even if I am correct it was a welcome addition.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, just drew said:

I don't think Cardona has a leg to stand on, complaint-wise.  WWE cut him off at the knees EIGHT YEARS AGO and he was happy to sit around and collect checks until they finally cleared the deadwood.  He's not some young, hungry dude who got screwed and decided to make his own way.  He just showed up in his pal's company, roided up and spray tanned, working the same shit style with the same garbage finisher, I guess figuring he can get a few checks out of AEW.  To sooner he's out, the better.  He sticks out like a sore thumb.

Anyway, just my opinion.  On to the rest!

Really solid show. Great post-ppv place setting.  Sure, it was a little promo heavy, but the promos were good.  None dragged or anything.

I like how AEW isn't afraid to backburner people and move them in and out in cycles.  I don't think we've seen Nyla Rose in a little bit, for example.

Liked that Matt Hardy promo.  The lapsed WWE fan in me kept waiting for a sneak attack or angle.  There's something so refreshing about a wrestler referring to himself as such and just saying "I'm going to heal up and go for a belt" and that's all.  Nice.  Minus points for the lame inclusion of Reby, which is kinda glurgy and sleazy.

Not exactly loving the dissension in the Friends of Eddie.  They were already fighting each other when Eddie came in and unified them.  Why go back to square one?  But let's see where it goes, I guess.

Cool reboot with Jericho focusing on the tag belts now.  I like how the tag titles are so important that the former singles champ wants them.

THE BEST MAN.  Excellent, organic promo from Miro, can't wait to see what's next for him.

Good job by JR tonight!!!  Does TK lurk here?  Did he take some advice?  Ross didn't even shit on Excalibur while he was calling Angelico's wacky lucha submissions and you KNOW I was waiting for it.  Speaking of suggestions made here, they kept Jake to a pretape!  Smart.  No talk of nut-busting this week.

Ricky Starks is a star.  The future of AEW is Starks, Wardlow, Darby, and Jungle Boy.

The Elite is scattered, aimless, hoping for the best but unsure, and maybe turning heel for some.  I love it.

Loving the slooooow build between MJF and Wardlow.  

More Thunder Rosa next week!  Niiiiiice.

Very good main event.  Good to see Dustin still knocking it out after a few subpar performances.  

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL WTF CODY?  Tease a Cody announcement all night and then it's about him cohosting some AGT knockoff bullshit?  OMG holy fuck holy fuck.  Whenever I start to feel like Cody is actually crazy like a fox and is pulling a long game ("is he a heel or just a tone deaf babyface?"), he pulls some bonehead shit like this.  God damn, shit, and what the actual fuck?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

Miro could probably read out 2002—era HHH promos from his phone and I'd be like "yes that was fine", he has an easygoing charisma that is endlessly endearing to me. As much as his heel run up to that Mania loss to Cena is where it went best for him in WWE, I'd have him be a babyface just because of that charisma and what a sympathetic seller he is

Dustin will be having *** matches with nothing but punches in them in five years

Edited by Firebreaker Chip
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Miro could probably read out 2002—era HHH promos from his phone and I'd be like "yes that was fine", he has an easygoing charisma that is endlessly endearing to me

Dustin will be having *** matches with nothing but punches in them in five years

That's a really good way of putting that. Mox and Kingston have that too, and they may be the only 3 guys in America with that easy believe-ability. Also, I'd pay to see Miro, Mox, and Kingston do exactly what you said.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, just drew said:

That's a really good way of putting that. Mox and Kingston have that too, and they may be the only 3 guys in America with that easy believe-ability. Also, I'd pay to see Miro, Mox, and Kingston do exactly what you said.

Totally - I literally just posted on the podcast thread about how engaging I find Eddie Kingston. As people have said it's not just about the verbiage with him, there's a whole suite of body language at play there

Those three guys all have a common thread of having some sense of "realness" and experience of dealing with hardship, which WWE of course produces out of everyone. A guy who grew up in hardship in Bulgaria and dismantles people with his hands but is disarmingly chill and funny = intrigue imo

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL WTF CODY?  Tease a Cody announcement all night and then it's about him cohosting some AGT knockoff bullshit?  OMG holy fuck holy fuck.  Whenever I start to feel like Cody is actually crazy like a fox and is pulling a long game ("is he a heel or just a tone deaf babyface?"), he pulls some bonehead shit like this.  God damn, shit, and what the actual fuck?

He starts off saying that instead of going home while injured he's gonna do a game show.  I would have much preferred if he didn't talk about that at all and just announced the show.  At least that way you know it was an announcement that was done before he got his ass handed to him.  But as it is it sounded like it part of the continuing canon where he's doing a game show instead of plotting revenge.  We were both incredibly confused by this but I kind of hate that I might check out the first episode anyway for giggles.

4 hours ago, just drew said:

Not that there's something wrong with you, but yeah, its incredibly smalltime and early-10s TNAish to trot new arrivals out in that manner. There's no greater way to ensure you one keeps living in another's shadow than to frequently reference it. I believe "rent free" is the term?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I don't think Cardona has a leg to stand on, complaint-wise.  WWE cut him off at the knees EIGHT YEARS AGO and he was happy to sit around and collect checks until they finally cleared the deadwood.  He's not some young, hungry dude who got screwed and decided to make his own way.  He just showed up in his pal's company, roided up and spray tanned, working the same shit style with the same garbage finisher, I guess figuring he can get a few checks out of AEW.  To sooner he's out, the better.  He sticks out like a sore thumb.

Anyway, just my opinion.  On to the rest!

Really solid show. Great post-ppv place setting.  Sure, it was a little promo heavy, but the promos were good.  None dragged or anything.

I like how AEW isn't afraid to backburner people and move them in and out in cycles.  I don't think we've seen Nyla Rose in a little bit, for example.

Liked that Matt Hardy promo.  The lapsed WWE fan in me kept waiting for a sneak attack or angle.  There's something so refreshing about a wrestler referring to himself as such and just saying "I'm going to heal up and go for a belt" and that's all.  Nice.  Minus points for the lame inclusion of Reby, which is kinda glurgy and sleazy.

Not exactly loving the dissension in the Friends of Eddie.  They were already fighting each other when Eddie came in and unified them.  Why go back to square one?  But let's see where it goes, I guess.

Cool reboot with Jericho focusing on the tag belts now.  I like how the tag titles are so important that the former singles champ wants them.

THE BEST MAN.  Excellent, organic promo from Miro, can't wait to see what's next for him.

Good job by JR tonight!!!  Does TK lurk here?  Did he take some advice?  Ross didn't even shit on Excalibur while he was calling Angelico's wacky lucha submissions and you KNOW I was waiting for it.  Speaking of suggestions made here, they kept Jake to a pretape!  Smart.  No talk of nut-busting this week.

Ricky Starks is a star.  The future of AEW is Starks, Wardlow, Darby, and Jungle Boy.

The Elite is scattered, aimless, hoping for the best but unsure, and maybe turning heel for some.  I love it.

Loving the slooooow build between MJF and Wardlow.  

More Thunder Rosa next week!  Niiiiiice.

Very good main event.  Good to see Dustin still knocking it out after a few subpar performances.  

I like your analysis on the Hardy promo.  You’ve changed my mind on it.  

The fact that I’ve yet to see a dump on JR in this thread says you may be right.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Agreed 100% on this. Like I was waiting for it when he was referencing Navarro and then even more with all the submission names. JR even helped pull some more context out of Excalibur in one instance. Best I've heard from commentary in a long time and it really does feel like they had a meeting on it after the rock bottom ppv job. I am anxious enough right now. I don't need my wrestling commentary team beefing to add to it. 

• Like 4

The Young Bucks Superkicked Alex Marvez (aka Officer Barbrady) and I wondered why they would turn them face so suddenly, before their actual heel turn has fully gone through. But then I remembered Coach Tony K likes Alex Marvez.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, AxB said:

So either Tay's knee was hurt legit, or she's really good at selling.

I'm probably the only one that laughed when Puf came out as the first fake best man. If he's wrestling on Dark next week, that might be something. Not sure who he would gel with in AEW though, outside of Orange...

I got a kick out of Puf coming out as well. Most of my exposure to him has been in Toronto's Smash Wrestling.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

He starts off saying that instead of going home while injured he's gonna do a game show.  I would have much preferred if he didn't talk about that at all and just announced the show.  At least that way you know it was an announcement that was done before he got his ass handed to him.  But as it is it sounded like it part of the continuing canon where he's doing a game show instead of plotting revenge. 

Right?  How does AEW not have someone to pump the brakes and tell Cody, no, this is a bad idea?  I mean, to reiterate, Cody was beat to shit and stretchered out in a really heavy, serious angle.  We don't hear from him for weeks.  Then throughout the show, an announcement from Cody is promoted. 

And the announcement happens and it's that Cody is hosting a game show on TNT.  Not that he's plotting his revenge on The Dark Order and going to kick their asses.  Not that he's hurt but he'll be back better than even.  No.  He's going to be the next Simon Cowell. 

I am seriously blown away.  I mean I know Cody is pretty much given complete free reign to do whatever he wants, regardless of how nonsensical it is, but this is something else entirely.  I really need to know what AEW's creative structure is and how something like this happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1