DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 9/9/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Someone predicted Miro would be the Best Man. And it wasn't the guy doing a Predictions Guy gimmick either.

This was one of those AEW shows that had the thing where you realise the show started 90 minutes ago but you'd swear you've only watched like 20 minutes. Like when they had big crowds in big arenas. That sort of got lost when lockdown happened and the shows started feeling like 2 hour shows. But this was another flier.

• Like 4

What the hell did they do differently tonight than they've done on Saturday and other Wednesdays to get better crowd noise both in the cheap seats and around ring side? They all sounded great tonight. I was honestly disappointed to even see the ringside folks just do nothing on Saturday.

Also, no one has mentioned Eddie pointing out he was legally eliminated from the battle royal? I laughed at that. Kingston is the best.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Also, no one has mentioned Eddie pointing out he was legally eliminated from the battle royal? I laughed at that. Kingston is the best.

We're going to get Moxley vs. Kingston at some point and it's going to be an awesome tv main event. Drag it out so we can get several weeks worth of dueling promos from Mox and King.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Craig H said:

What the hell did they do differently tonight than they've done on Saturday and other Wednesdays to get better crowd noise both in the cheap seats and around ring side? They all sounded great tonight. I was honestly disappointed to even see the ringside folks just do nothing on Saturday.

I think the sound presentation and production for tonight's show did sound a lot better.

• Like 2

Very happy for Miro but please, please Cody - tell your ex WWE guys to leave the "Fuck you Vince/Hunter" promos at the door. I do not want to see AEW turn into Impact with every other signee getting TV to complain about how awful their time in WWE was.

I don't watch AEW all the time but seeing big names come in a sook about glass ceilings and brass rings is off putting. Just give them the space to shine and go from there.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

So Twitch is people paying to watch other people do good at video games? Is that correct? 

To each their own and whatnot, but if this is a thing (and I suspect it very well may be) is it really a wonder that the children born today will probably not have functioning civilization or a planet to live on by the time they would be our age?

I mean there is obviously million times worse stuff going on everywhere and that is hardly malignant in comparison, but I'm obviously well on my way to becoming even more obsolete than I already am, if this is the shit people get around to, in 2020.

It's good that there are still ways to make a living these days, but I'm just amazed that this is a service someone would be willing to pay money for, especially considering all the services people seem very unwilling to pay anything for!

Anyway, sorry for getting sidetracked, show seems like it is moving in the right direction. The roster starts to be really stacked as people have already mentioned. Do carry on.

• Like 1

It's cool that Rusev/Miro is here now but saddling him with one of the worst guy's in the company talking about their twitch channels is about as lame a way to debut him as possible. He's seemingly bulletproof so I assume he'll be fine, but it is the rare situation where doing literally anything different would have probably been better.

But hey, he's back so yay!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

VERY excited to see Miro! show up tonight...  I've been out of the news loop so I had no idea he would be signing.  Awesome.  

But I want to talk more about the young talent in this company.  I feel like I've been discussing this a lot lately but it's worth discussing some more.  Ricky Starks AGAIN tonight hit it out of the park.  This guy reminds me so much of Nation/Corporate version of The Rock.  He's also a good worker.  I don't see how he isn't in main events down the road for years to come.  Him and Darby remind me of The Rock vs. Triple H in around 1998 where you knew you were watching the future of the company. 

Wardlow is a guy that I often forget about because he doesn't wrestle much right now but he also has a ton of potential. Big dude.. good wrestler..  kind of has the Roman look going for him..   his turn on MJF is shaping up like Batista on Hunter..   but I wouldn't mind if they played this out for another 6 months or even a year down the road. They have plenty of time.  I can't believe WWE missed on him.  

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

To each their own and whatnot, but if this is a thing (and I suspect it very well may be) is it really a wonder that the children born today will probably not have functioning civilization or a planet to live on by the time they would be our age?

I mean there is obviously million times worse stuff going on everywhere and that is hardly malignant in comparison, but I'm obviously well on my way to becoming even more obsolete than I already am, if this is the shit people get around to, in 2020.

It's good that there are still ways to make a living these days, but I'm just amazed that this is a service someone would be willing to pay money for, especially considering all the services people seem very unwilling to pay anything for!

Anyway, sorry for getting sidetracked, show seems like it is moving in the right direction. The roster starts to be really stacked as people have already mentioned. Do carry on.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

You know what a radio DJ is right? Do those make you mad too?

EDIT: Why am I even engaging a guy named Sharnado, it's probably Southside Jim again.

So this is what it feels like when people think you are someone who was on the board with a different name. I was Midnight Express Fan on Wrestling Classics and some Finnish wrestling board, but that was a decade and a half ago.

As far as DJ's go, radio hasn't been my thing because I like to choose what I listen to, but I do get that the question was rhetorical.

Tying this back to wrestling, I wonder if they still even have room for PAC once he's able to return, with this amount of high end talent on the roster? I'm concerned, since he has been one of my absolute favorites since like 2014.

4 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Thank you! It's all clear to me now! South Park to the rescue. "Ok, granpa!" Yeah, I deserve that. ..

The great thing is, this totally ties in to AEW: Back in, say, 2016, I was totally the guy saying that Kenny and The Young Bucks were doing pro wrestling all wrong and should work more like my generation of wrestlers. But, I have a gaijin friend who also like pro wrestling and he was way into modern NJPW and we'd watch shows together... and I had to get over myself and stop being a grandpa about the go-go-go high-risk CrossFit style  so that I could enjoy those shows with my friend. 

And, if I hadn't had that particualr epiphany, I'd probably be unable to enjoy AEW today... and I enjoy AEW a lot

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Vehemently disagree that Lance Archer has not done much in AEW before the battle royal. He was awesome from in is in-ring debut through the inaugural TNT title match (which was still a very good match despite being a bit overbooked for the finish). He did not do a ton between Double or Nothing and All Out, but makes a ton of sense as Mox's next challenger, and I would have been with that being the main event of Full Gear (though I'd guess that will be an Omega-Moxley re-match from a year ago). Hell, it would be cool if Archer wins the title, and they do a re-match at Full Gear. 

• Like 1

Was thinking the exact same thing. She was talking like she was ready to lawyer up so Tony must have gotten them fat sacks out to pay her off. 

Chico Dusty Khan. 

Lance Archer crushes it every time he has been on AEW TV. He has been incredible smashing jobbers and jtts alike. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, gordi said:

The great thing is, this totally ties in to AEW: Back in, say, 2016, I was totally the guy saying that Kenny and The Young Bucks were doing pro wrestling all wrong and should work more like my generation of wrestlers. But, I have a gaijin friend who also like pro wrestling and he was way into modern NJPW and we'd watch shows together... and I had to get over myself and stop being a grandpa about the go-go-go high-risk CrossFit style  so that I could enjoy those shows with my friend. 

And, if I hadn't had that particualr epiphany, I'd probably be unable to enjoy AEW today... and I enjoy AEW a lot

Everyone has their wrestling preferences and that's fine. But IMHO there isn't a single way to do professional wrestling. And styles are always changing or being tweaked. 

I credit the Bucks because they basically just started doing what they wanted, had fun, engaged with their grassroots fanbase and became big stars and millionaires. They did it mostly on their own getting overlooked by TNA and without help from WWE.

• Like 2

I don't know how you can watch Omega vs. Goto from the 2016 G1 or the Naito semifinal and not lose your damn mind. Just so fucking wild. I'll never forget that tope con giro over the guard rail. The way he floated in the air was unlike anything I've seen. I want the CLEANER back! 

• Like 4