DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Cedric The Businessman - 9/7/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Glad they finally pulled the trigger on Cedric turning.  That whole thing went on way too long.  

Speaking of going on way too long... I feel like that last segment might have meant more if it didn't take 4 people to beat down a jobber.  

20 minutes ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

It looked like Ivar hurt himself on that dive at the end of the match. I watched it back, and he threw up the X sign after landing. Looked to be a leg injury. 

PWInsider is saying he suffered a stinger.  Wonder if that messed up the ending of that match because Ricochet clearly kicked out at 2.

I did enjoy the Mysterio Family Pinata Party ending there.

Peyton/Billie was short but nice I guess. I do like that they still care for each other. They really need to just let Billie manage Peyton instead of going through a full break up.

Loved Cedric joining the Hurt Business. He was a wonderful little shit during the 8-man tag. I do have agree that they definitely dragged it out too long. We should have hit this point a month ago. Really hope MVP makes good on wanting to turn the Hurt Business into a franchise and we see Cedric, Ricochet, and maybe Shelton moved to NXT during the next draft. Would love to see Cedric go after the NXT title with Ricochet doing his damnedest to stop him.

The handicap matches were going ok before the Retribution promo. That said, it was good to see Retribution finally say something. I am left wondering how the hell does Dijakovic still sound so much like himself even with the damn voice modulator.

Asuka/Mickie vs. Lana/Nattie was ok. I am trying to figure out though how and why Mickie has a match with Asuka over Nattie. Mickie's only victory since returning was over Lana.

I assume Cesaro/Nakamura pushing to face the Street Profits means we are getting a merging of the tag titles. I sort of hope I'm wrong.

The Mysterio Family getting some deserved vengeance was nice. Feels weird though that it happened with an already discarded Murphy. I think it would have been better for Dominick to get the victory with a little less help. The weirdest thing about all of this to me though was that it was the main event. I like Murphy and Dominick, but I'm not sure how the hell they get the main event where they are currently.

Again I'm unnecessarily geeked over the idea of Dabba-Kato getting some screen time based entirely on the one training camp he spent with the Vikings.

Also, the IIconics being broken up sucks and needs to be remedied ASAP, but I'm sure this isn't the first time someone has expressed that.

I'm good with Mickie having a title match against Asuka.   Mickie James is a former 6x women's champion.  That's enough reason for her to receive title shots but more importantly for me I have always liked Mickie James and I think it will be a great match if they get time.  Honestly, I wanted it on the PPV. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm good with Mickie having a title match against Asuka.   Mickie James is a former 6x women's champion.  That's enough reason for her to receive title shots but more importantly for me I have always liked Mickie James and I think it will be a great match if they get time.  Honestly, I wanted it on the PPV

This is mostly why I'm disappointed they skipped the obvious no. 1 contenders match with Nattie. 

35 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Again I'm unnecessarily geeked over the idea of Dabba-Kato getting some screen time based entirely on the one training camp he spent with the Vikings.

Also, the IIconics being broken up sucks and needs to be remedied ASAP, but I'm sure this isn't the first time someone has expressed that.

I am too busy being a volatile mix out of outrage and denial w.r.t. the problem to express my thoughts and analysis on it as fully as one might expect from me, but yes.

Really curious how they're going to explain how people like Mia Yim, Dijak, Chelsea Green, etc. are suddenly in a "thug" anarchist group when we've all seen them on NXT (and recently, in Yim's case) and their characters that we've spent months to a year getting to know and watch are now doing complete 180 gimmick changes. I absolutely hate when they do shit like this.

Last time we saw Chelsea Green, she was a egomaniac prima donna. Now she's throwing molotov cocktails at WWE equipment? What?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

IIconics had one of the best themes in years.  They scrapped it and gave them two brand new generic WWE 2K13 themes.  

This is truly the biggest casualty of this split. RIP 

I’m already over Shayna and Nia’s act. Let the Riotts win already. 

Cool to see Mickie get some play but, did I miss something, or are they acting like she and Asuka didn’t already face one another in NXT? 

I laughed at Cole and Joe no-selling Retribution's antics during the handicap match until the light's went out completely.  The lights mostly dimmed and commentary ignored it.  Then all the video monitors went blank and Cole continued to call the match like nothing unusual was going on.  Great, even Cole and Joe are mentally checked out from the show.  They were probably busy answering email on their phones.

Didn't really dig the show.  Dominic doesn't do anything for me and the rest of the show was just there (for me, anyway).  I wish WWE made some attempt at storytelling.  Since the IIconics are still friends, I was kind of wondering why they signed contracts agreeing to wrestle each other.  Similarly, I was wondering why some matches require the wrestlers to sign contracts, and other matches get made during sixty-second commercial breaks?  Could they even get someone to ok the match that quickly?  And why would the participants agree to that when six of them were in a match earlier?

I'm starting to overthink WWE and it hurts the product.  For instance, WWE is doing two angles right now where heels seem to be turning babyface not because of anything the heels in question are doing, but because they're having problems with their tag team partners.  I usually dislike angles where the team can't get along, so it means one of them is suddenly a de facto babyface.  Just give us some reason to cheer these people.  Sasha is probably a babyface now solely because her tag partner got tired of losing and beat her up in frustration (Sasha's given us zero reasons to cheer her lately).  Andrade seems to be turning because.... his tag partner is an even bigger chickenshit heel than he is?

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

I am too busy being a volatile mix out of outrage and denial w.r.t. the problem to express my thoughts and analysis on it as fully as one might expect from me, but yes.

I legit don't know if this was something you actually said or it was due to a word filter. 

But I do know reading the results that if they're having the Iiconics face each other then one of them's moving to either SD or NXT.  I'm assuming Billie Kay because Peyton's gonna get that push.  That can maybe be a good thing for Billie if she's doing something meaningful but I have my doubts.  I do know that they're faces in my book and it'll be sad to see them split further apart.

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

I laughed at Cole and Joe no-selling Retribution's antics during the handicap match until the light's went out completely.  The lights mostly dimmed and commentary ignored it.  Then all the video monitors went blank and Cole continued to call the match like nothing unusual was going on.  Great, even Cole and Joe are mentally checked out from the show.  They were probably busy answering email on their phones.

Didn't really dig the show.  Dominic doesn't do anything for me and the rest of the show was just there (for me, anyway).  I wish WWE made some attempt at storytelling.  Since the IIconics are still friends, I was kind of wondering why they signed contracts agreeing to wrestle each other.  Similarly, I was wondering why some matches require the wrestlers to sign contracts, and other matches get made during sixty-second commercial breaks?  Could they even get someone to ok the match that quickly?  And why would the participants agree to that when six of them were in a match earlier?

I'm starting to overthink WWE and it hurts the product.  For instance, WWE is doing two angles right now where heels seem to be turning babyface not because of anything the heels in question are doing, but because they're having problems with their tag team partners.  I usually dislike angles where the team can't get along, so it means one of them is suddenly a de facto babyface.  Just give us some reason to cheer these people.  Sasha is probably a babyface now solely because her tag partner got tired of losing and beat her up in frustration (Sasha's given us zero reasons to cheer her lately).  Andrade seems to be turning because.... his tag partner is an even bigger chickenshit heel than he is?

I think Sasha is automatically a face upon her return because the needless severity of the attack. It wasn’t just Bayley turning on a tag partner. It was Bayley:

1) Turning on her well-established best friend

2) While her best friend was vulnerable from a knee injury sustained during the match

3) Going go insane lengths to end Sasha’s career by chair stomping her neck after further damaging her knee. It was next level vicious.

Sasha as a face has also been cast as a clever “Cheat To Win” Eddie Guerrero style type. You accept what she will do to win and root for her to do so because she is outsmarting everyone. She’s Bugs Bunny pretty much.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I think Sasha is automatically a face upon her return because the needless severity of the attack. It wasn’t just Bayley turning on a tag partner. It was Bayley:

1) Turning on her well-established best friend

2) While her best friend was vulnerable from a knee injury sustained during the match

3) Going go insane lengths to end Sasha’s career by chair stomping her neck after further damaging her knee. It was next level vicious.

Sasha as a face has also been cast as a clever “Cheat To Win” Eddie Guerrero style type. You accept what she will do to win and root for her to do so because she is outsmarting everyone. She’s Bugs Bunny pretty much.

So we are cheering her now because she was outsmarted by a vicious heel? This repeated type of weak booking is why many WWE "faces" are so meh. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I legit don't know if this was something you actually said or it was due to a word filter. 

But I do know reading the results that if they're having the Iiconics face each other then one of them's moving to either SD or NXT.  I'm assuming Billie Kay because Peyton's gonna get that push.  That can maybe be a good thing for Billie if she's doing something meaningful but I have my doubts.  I do know that they're faces in my book and it'll be sad to see them split further apart.

no word filter, made my own ?

What sucks about this is any long time wrestling fan can already see the writing etched onto the stone wall.  Vince hates tag teams (Vince also hates managers, more on that later) and the logic seems to be -- aside from 2 person acts being more expensive to pay than 1 person acts -- is that one person in the team is always wheat waiting to be harvested, and thus the other person "must" be chaff, because that's how it worked with The Rockers 30 years ago. The pattern is well established since.

Michaels and Janetty
Hitman and Anvil

Edge and Christian
And so on.  Furthermore, we know the established pattern of "don't get over on your own" and the perils of those who defy Vince's Calvinist Predestination of Character Success by actually trying to grab the mythical brass ring, as has been repeatedly confirmed by WWE recent alumni (Ryback, Moxley, Rusev, FTR, etc).

So not only is Billie already marked as the chaff of the IIconics, any attempt to prove that she might also be wheat -- nevermind the revolutionary idea that the team might be more than the sum of its parts and better off together -- is fated to be dismissed, ignored, punished, etc.

Really, it almost seems like the smart move is to triple down on Cameo, TikTok, et al. and dare the E to fire her, or just straight up retire and get into conventional acting with her physical health intact. Because precedent implies her WWE career is already effectively over.

Billie's already primarily been used as enhancement talent anyway, so getting to do something significant is at even slimmer odds (and that's probably the plan; be a journeyman heel for Smackdown's face-heavy women's roster to beat up as they cycle through failures to dethrone Bayley) . Ideally, she'd catch on as a mouthpiece & heater for someone who can't talk, but managers are virtually extinct as it is (again, the animus for paying 2 person acts).  Bayley obviously doesn't need either, though the character seems like she would want (or feel entitled to) one, and it could be a fun continuity wrinkle along the lines of Greggulator's bullet points to do the heelish thing of making a big deal of replacing her long time friend with one of their hated rivals, as Bayley further corrupts herself.  Of course, if we're booking ideas that I like we wouldn't be in this shitheap in the first place.

Jessie McKay to AEW confirmed.

Edited by BobbyWhioux
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

So we are cheering her now because she was outsmarted by a vicious heel? This repeated type of weak booking is why many WWE "faces" are so meh. 

Well, this chapter just started. Sasha got brutalized by someone she mistakenly trusted. Now she has to come for revenge.

It does not really make sense if she gets one up on Bayley to start with. Where is the payoff? Where is the chase? 

The villain has to incite the action almost all of the time. Then comes the quest to have a sense of personal justice. That Sasha has flexible ethics means she has more room to work with too. We know this about her already and it is something we have been taught to appreciate when she is a face.

Sasha realizing Bayley was about to attack her and heading her off at the pass really does not lead you anywhere. Who is rooting for that? And then when Bayley does eventually get Sasha, she either has to do so in a way that is so ridiculously different and clever or it is going to make Sasha look REALLY dumb. She could stop Bayley when she had the element of surprise. But she can’t stop Bayley when she knows she’s coming?

Or even worse — Sasha constantly having the upper hand on Bayley makes Bayley look like a completely ineffective heel. 

Also, sympathy is so important for a heel turning face. In a situation like this, you need to have a reason to emotionally root for the person. Sasha needs to suffer for her redemption to happen. She now has odds to overcome — a major injury, the emotional damage, etc. 

The only real face I can think of who constantly was a step ahead was Austin against McMahon. But Mr. McMahon always had the power of his authority to put the odds in his favor. Austin could give him a beer bath. But then McMahon can bring in a new opponent or put Austin in a handicap match or etc. 

But that was a once in a lifetime character.

• Like 3