DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF - FALL/WINTER 2020 SEASON

Dewar

I’m usually in here defending the committee for getting it right every year, but there’s no denying they blew this one.  I know it was a weird year and a lot tougher to nail down the best 4, but they were not even close.  Putting Ohio State in the bracket said the quiet part out loud.

And it’s not even something that can be fixed by expanding the field.  Cincinnati finished at #8, and you can bet if that was the 8th playoff spot, they would’ve lost the debate with Georgia in this committee, if there was any debate at all. 

Army HC Jeff Monken flat out said that teams threatened to pull out of bowl games if paired with Army

After a surge of Pac-12 teams opted out of bowl season and other teams, according to Monken, threatened to opt out if paired against Army, the Independence Bowl canceled its game and the Black Knights were left without a postseason destination. Monken and Army administrators informed the team following dinner at a 6:15 p.m. ET meeting.

Monken said he was concerned when Pac-12 teams began opting out of bowl season late last week. But he still thought Army would find an opponent for the Independence Bowl, which has been played in 44 consecutive years.

"The bottom line is there were enough people who kept saying, 'No, we don't want to play Army, we don't want to play Army,'" Monken said. "And I'm sure they don't want to have one week to get ready for the option [offense] or whatever, but our players, we've got guys on our team that wouldn't be invited as walk-ons to the teams we're getting ready to play. We've got guys from California, they didn't have a Pac-12 walk-on offer, and they are starting for us."

He noted that several teams seemed intent on participating in the postseason until losing games this past weekend.

"USC, a week ago, was saying, 'We deserve to be in the College Football Playoff if we go undefeated and win the Pac-12 championship,'" Monken said. "And the Pac-12 was saying, 'An undefeated Pac-12 team deserves to be considered.' So they go to the Pac-12 championship against Oregon and lose and they go from wanting to go to the College Football Playoff to not wanting to play at all? I don't get it. Boise State opted out today. They lost their championship game yesterday. So they went from being their conference champion and representing their conference in a bowl game to opting out? You couldn't go one more week and play us?

"It just doesn't make any sense to me that you can go from wanting to play to not wanting to play in a matter of 12 hours."

USC cited a recommendation from its medical team for why it opted out. And if USC hadn't opted out, it would have been almost guaranteed to play in the Alamo Bowl, which would have bumped Colorado to the Independence Bowl as Army's opponent.

Monken added that the situation is particularly unfortunate because neither Navy nor Air Force will appear in a bowl game this season.

"I'm not pointing the finger at any one person," he said. "It's just collectively, as a bowl season, whatever the system is, a 9-2 team should not be left out and a 9-2 Army team should not be left out. I don't know how we have an Armed Forces Bowl and a Military Bowl and a First Responders Bowl and at all of these bowl games, we're going to have service members coming back and being reunited with their families, we're going to put it on TV and it's going to be a feel-good story, and you're going to leave the Army team at home.

"How much bull is that? Somebody's got to fix that."

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

So is Mississippi St at 2-7

Swell...

I was going to make the point of Tennessee making a bowl game at 3-7 until I saw your posts.  Which begs the question would Vanderbilt have made it to a bowl game if they would have won just one game.  The answer seems to be yes

15 hours ago, EVA said:

I’m usually in here defending the committee for getting it right every year, but there’s no denying they blew this one.  I know it was a weird year and a lot tougher to nail down the best 4, but they were not even close.  Putting Ohio State in the bracket said the quiet part out loud.

And it’s not even something that can be fixed by expanding the field.  Cincinnati finished at #8, and you can bet if that was the 8th playoff spot, they would’ve lost the debate with Georgia in this committee, if there was any debate at all. 

You do realize that this year is just like every other year right?  You know that this shit is just a giant money grab where the people in charge do everything in their power to make as much money as possible while not sharing the profits with the workforce, right?  They always choose the teams that will make the most profit whenever possible.  That's the game, it's always been the game, and until they have to pay the players, it will always be the game.  If Ohio State is undefeated, they will be included every year no matter how many games they play.  There is not going to ever be a situation where they say, "you know that school that has been near the top of the sport for generations and has a huge fanbase that will spend all their money to travel to these games?  They aren't good enough."  You really thought there was a possibility that they'd pick Cincinnati or Coastal Carolina over Ohio State?  Why would they do that?  Seriously, give me one bit of evidence in the history of college sports...and I mean all college sports, that they'd ever do something like that.

I feel like I’ve been posting about college football on this board long enough that everyone should know that, despite how much I love the game itself, I’m as deeply cynical about the nature of the sport as anyone, so I could really do without the condescending tone here.

Everything you’re saying in that post is covered by the statement “saying the quiet part out loud,” so I’m not sure what wisdom you’re trying to impart on me.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, supremebve said:

You do realize that this year is just like every other year right?  You know that this shit is just a giant money grab where the people in charge do everything in their power to make as much money as possible while not sharing the profits with the workforce, right?  They always choose the teams that will make the most profit whenever possible.  That's the game, it's always been the game, and until they have to pay the players, it will always be the game.  If Ohio State is undefeated, they will be included every year no matter how many games they play.  There is not going to ever be a situation where they say, "you know that school that has been near the top of the sport for generations and has a huge fanbase that will spend all their money to travel to these games?  They aren't good enough."  You really thought there was a possibility that they'd pick Cincinnati or Coastal Carolina over Ohio State?  Why would they do that?  Seriously, give me one bit of evidence in the history of college sports...and I mean all college sports, that they'd ever do something like that.

Point of order...

• Haha 1

Something that’s interesting to me is how the different playoff teams are handling Christmas.  Notre Dame is making their guys stay on campus, while Alabama is letting their guys go home for 3 days.

Letting players spend the holidays with their families definitley seems like the more decent and humane way to go, but it does put you at risk of a big COVID outbreak if guys bring it back to campus, which could hugely impact  the game.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, EVA said:

I feel like I’ve been posting about college football on this board long enough that everyone should know that, despite how much I love the game itself, I’m as deeply cynical about the nature of the sport as anyone, so I could really do without the condescending tone here.

Everything you’re saying in that post is covered by the statement “saying the quiet part out loud,” so I’m not sure what wisdom you’re trying to impart on me.

I mean, this is a board based on arguing about pro wrestling, so I guess suspending disbelief is part of the conversation around here.  I find the NCAA to be one of the more reprehensible organizations in the world and take every opportunity to say fuck them and everybody down with them.  Don't take it personally, I'm just crusading.

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

So is Mississippi St at 2-7

Swell...

Vols and Arkansas (both 3-7), Kentucky (4-6) and Ole Miss (4-5) are bowling as well. 6-4 Auburn are in the Citrus Bowl. If anyone wants to make a compelling argument for a 4-loss Auburn team over the Chants at 11-0, I'm listening.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Well it looks like there are still chances for Army as Tennessee is now out of the Liberty Bowl because of an outbreak .  Chances it won't be the only team pulling out of bowls after being selected

The ESPN story theorizes that more likely what will happen is Mississippi State will move to the Liberty Bowl and then Army will take the spot in the Armed Forces Bowl

15 hours ago, Robert C said:

Y’all got me wondering what would happen if a playoff team has a major outbreak.  Can’t imagine they’d get pulled, but dunno what would happen. 

To the surprise of no one - they will wait basically as long as necessary

The College Football Playoff is willing to postpone most of its New Year's Six bowl games, including its two semifinal games and the national championship, if one or both teams can't participate because of COVID-19 issues, CFP executive director Bill Hancock told ESPN on Monday evening.

The games that could be impacted are the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic on Dec. 30, the two semifinal games and the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl on Jan. 1, the PlayStation Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 2, and the College Football Playoff National Championship Presented by AT&T, which is currently scheduled for 8 p.m. on Jan. 11 at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida. It's unclear at this time if the Jan. 2 Capital One Orange Bowl will have the same flexibility because the bowl has a different contract than others.

"We are planning to play the games when they're scheduled," Hancock said. "We've said all along that we will be ready for any circumstance, and we will. But if one or both teams are not available and have to postpone a bowl game or the championship game, we will do it."

Hancock declined to speculate about further contingency plans or any dates because it's impossible to determine when a team would be able to return to play. The CFP has said that each participating team will continue to use the COVID-19 protocols its conference has mandated all season.

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To the surprise of no one - they will wait basically as long as necessary

Is Brian Kelly still chirping about boycotting the CFP if parents aren't allowed to attend?