DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF - FALL/WINTER 2020 SEASON

Dewar

The Urban to Texas rumors always felt like the Saban to Texas rumors from years ago.  It even had the “His wife has been house shopping in Austin” angle.  Ultimately, I think both were cases of high-powered Texas boosters thinking they’re the Masters of the Universe and that, if they wanted it to happen, they could make it happen. But neither ever really had a chance of happening.

Edited by EVA

So West Virginia vs Oklahoma on a Saturday night on Thanksgiving weekend cancelled because of OK outbreak just went to a West Virginia vs Oklahoma a Saturday noon game this week that was just cancelled because of an outbreak on WVU side.     So I guess we will see if 5 wins is bowl eligible in 2020

41 minutes ago, EVA said:

The Urban to Texas rumors always felt like the Saban to Texas rumors from years ago.  It even had the “His wife has been house shopping in Austin” angle.  Ultimately, I think both were cases of high-powered Texas boosters thinking they’re the Masters of the Universe and that, if they wanted it to happen, they could make it happen. But neither ever really had a chance of happening.

The one thing they're missing this time is Texas fans being convinced that Saban would be carried into their senior banquet on a litter, Xerxes style, by 5 star recruits who were shifting their commitment to Texas.

Boston College becomes the first bowl eligible to announce they won't participate in a bowl goal this year

Per the AD and HC - the players had significant input on the decision and that multiple players stated that they were mentally and physically exhausted.

(It was also interesting that they specifically stated they didn't want to be in a position of preparing for a bowl game and then have it cancelled)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Boston College becomes the first bowl eligible to announce they won't participate in a bowl goal this year

Per the AD and HC - the players had significant input on the decision and that multiple players stated that they were mentally and physically exhausted.

(It was also interesting that they specifically stated they didn't want to be in a position of preparing for a bowl game and then have it cancelled)

On my question about whether 5 wins would be bowl eligible in 2020, apparently in October it was announced that all Division 1 schools are considered bowl eligible .    Which will make whatever bowl games that are available more interesting on selection day.  Usually the games are determined by taking something like the 5th place SEC team against a 4th place Big 12 team.  Now hell if they want you can give Penn State a bowl game this year 

Speaking of Utah State, the players have voted not to play the final game of the season as a protest over President Noelle Cockett's comments about interim coach Frank Maile's religious and cultural background.

I can't find any quoting or exact description of what Crockett said, but apparently she expressed concern about him being a member of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

A college president in Utah is concerned that a coach is Mormon. That's... An interesting thing to voice out loud in a zoom meeting with the football team.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Haha 1

Well also - apparently according to the players leadership council wasn't happy because last year the head equipment manager used a racial slur towards one of the players and Utah State's leadership (which I assume would include Cockett) did nothing about it

Alabama’s best LB just went out with a shoulder injury on the first play against Arkansas.  Out for the game and likely next week against Florida.  Maybe longer.

But, yeah, totally reasonable and fair that Ohio State is going to get in the playoffs by playing 6 games.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, EVA said:

But, yeah, totally reasonable and fair that Ohio State is going to get in the playoffs by playing 6 games.

There is a difference between "Should an OSU team at 6 games get in over other unbeatens (or even some 1 loss teams)"  vs. "Everyone who plays in the ACC and SEC with 2 losses should be ahead of OSU"

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

There is a difference between "Should an OSU team at 6 games get in over other unbeatens (or even some 1 loss teams)"  vs. "Everyone who plays in the ACC and SEC with 2 losses should be ahead of OSU"

I’m not saying the latter.  I don’t think Georgia should be in over OSU (although they’ve been playing a lot better with JT Daniels at QB and kinda look more like a playoff team!).  But, just to throw out a couple scenarios...

If Florida loses a close game to Bama, then they’d have 9 wins and 2 closes losses to Top 5 teams on the road and at a neutral site...you’d have a hard time convincing me Ohio State should be in over them.

If Iowa State wins next week, they’d have 9 wins, a Big 12 title, and 2 wins over Oklahoma.  You’re going to tell them they’re out in favor of Ohio State?  I feel like that’s not gonna get over with the Big 12, who has been explicitly left out of past playoffs because they didn’t have a conference title game.  A difference of one measly game!  But we’re gonna let OSU in while playing 4-5 fewer games???

Just for the record - I am not disagreeing with you regarding the unbalanced system but that was the bed the NCAA choose to make and lay in (though technically it is the Championship's fault for not expanding to 8.) but yeah there are better cases to be made beyond just "Well is OSU so we have to include them.

I mean it was know from the second the Big 10 changed course that any team was going to have significantly less games that most everyone else (I think the most games any team in the conference has is 8, which Iowa hits with today's game. I guess Iowa could hit 9, I can't remember who is playing next week or not) so there should have been some sort of threshold that needed to be reached to avoid this exact scenario (not just the Big 10 one that we all knew wasn't going to be enforced - NCAA wide)

Also - and Jesus do I fucking hate defending OSU - but two of the games were cancelled because of the other team. So it's not like they were going "We are OSU - we aren't play, just put us in the playoff" (That is the Big 10 itself doing that.) It is one thing to make decisions about opponents played/beaten and when and where (as arbitrary as that might be too) but to not have a minimum game limit... well why am I trying to finish that sentence because I have seen in every single field the passing the back to someone else and let them make the hard decision. So the NCAA wasn't gonna do a damn thing and try to avoid all responsibility.

(I am also not naive and recognize that if this was ANY other school it wouldn't be a discussion. Bottom like it is because of $$$ (which it is every single year). Every single year, OSU has a dog shit schedule that everyone ignores. Maybe if USC had played one more game because then they would be exactly the same as OSU but with only 4 games no one gives a fuck about the Pac 12)

Anyway to sum up - my issue was with the convenient cherry picking Dabo was doing. (And that isn't even factoring in teams like Cincy or Costal Carolina since I don't think Dabo knows those schools exist.)

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/12/12/watch-insane-play-to-end-ball-state-win-over-western-michigan/

TD didn't count because one of the passes was an illegal forward pass.

I am guessing both teams were called for offsetting penalties for having a billion players on the field

So after that Ball State plays Buffalo for MAC Championship

35 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/12/12/watch-insane-play-to-end-ball-state-win-over-western-michigan/

TD didn't count because one of the passes was an illegal forward pass.

I am guessing both teams were called for offsetting penalties for having a billion players on the field

So after that Ball State plays Buffalo for MAC Championship

The MAC has been so great this year.