DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF - FALL/WINTER 2020 SEASON

Dewar

Navy/Tulsa is postponed (more likely cancelled) due to positive COVID results at Navy

The teams don't share an open date but the AAC is still gonna try to figure out a way to have the game

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

This season was definitely not a bad idea, no sir.

I am not looking forward to the next couple months the way the pandemic is ramping up.  I just hope no one dies over this stupid ass decision.

5 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I am not looking forward to the next couple months the way the pandemic is ramping up.  I just hope no one dies over this stupid ass decision.

It feels inevitable an older coach is going to die. And even if they dodge that bullet, it seems almost impossible that at some point a player won't pass the virus along to grandma or grandpa, etc...

It's bad enough the NFL trying to just have business as normal. But college football, with it's hundred and thirty or whatever teams, and 100+ players/staff per team, relying on 18-23 year olds to be responsible? Just... Hating my favorite sport sucks.

7 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So  unless Michigan beats Ohio State, Jim Harbaugh has to be a lock for getting fired this year

Only thing that may save him is that the season was so screwed up he may get a mulligan.

Here in Philly it's 13-10 Owls HT.

Wait, SMU just scored to make it 17-13.

21 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Wait USC is playing a game at 9 in the morning their time?  That is weird 

It appears it was FOX call mainly because they are starting their season so late, if they wanted to be on TV they had to work around everyone else who is already playing

• Like 1

Between the unique circumstances of this pandemic season and how problematic it would be to eat his contract in these times, I feel like Harbaugh is safe for the time being.  But, man, it sure doesn’t look like he’s any closer to getting Michigan where they want to be.

43 minutes ago, EVA said:

Between the unique circumstances of this pandemic season and how problematic it would be to eat his contract in these times, I feel like Harbaugh is safe for the time being.  But, man, it sure doesn’t look like he’s any closer to getting Michigan where they want to be.

The offense is, if anything, a bigger mess than it has been, and the generally good defense is looking way down this year.

Harbaugh looks to be permanently stuck in mid-00's football, and absolutely incapable of adjusting to the ways the sport has evolved the last decade and a half. 

I didn't necessarily think hiring him guaranteed a National Title at any point, but I felt confident at the time that he would have gotten at least a couple B1G titles and gotten Michigan back competitive with Ohio by now. And the first few years saw some progress, though not nearly as much as expected. But this team is bad right now. Not even mediocre or below average. This is a bad team. This is back into at least bordering on the worst depths of the Rodriguez and Hoke eras.

And with Harbaugh looking like the third straight failed coach, and the general drop off in the program the last few years of Carr's tenure (one year excepted, obviously)... Michigan is not in good shape for a historic name brand school, and who knows if the program can ever get back to where it's "supposed" to be.

I’m not ready to consign Michigan to the ranks of Nebraska and Tennessee, faded national powers who are just never coming back.  For the most part, I think the defense during the Harbaugh era has been good enough to compete with top programs.  Sometimes even better than that.  But, man, they’ve gotta get somebody in there who can recruit elite offensive talent.  You’ve gotta be able to score in the modern game.  Harbaugh has failed to recruit/develop good quarterbacks.  He’s never been able to bring in a gamechanging RB.  Receivers have been, at best, okay.

Who on this Michigan offense would play for the likes of Bama/Clemson/OhioSt/Georgia/Oklahoma?  Ronnie Bell, maybe?

27 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Bell would probably get snaps, but not, like, full time on the field for most of them.

The struggles at quarterback are the most baffling though. That was supposed to be his strength.

Look at all of his starters - Rudock, Speight, Patterson - before this year. What do they all have in common? Harbaugh didn't recruit any of them. The guys he did recruit - Dylan McCaffrey, Brandon Peters, and so on - have either been terrible or never given a chance to play. McCaffrey, Peters, Shane Morris, and Speight all transferred away from Michigan. 

TL;DR - Harbaugh has failed massively at quarterback,supposedly his specialty. 

• Like 1