DVDVR Message Board

Bellator 106: Chandler vs. Alvarez II (11/2/2013) - Long Beach, CA (Long Beach Convention & Entertainment Center)

Elsalvajeloco

All three favorites in the title fights lost tonight.  How often do you see that happen?

Not often, but if you're going to make up a fake title to try and get your money guy over, you should make damn sure that you don't put him in the ring with someone that might actually, y'know, beat him... King Mo is now officially overrated, damaged goods, and when Eddie beats Chandler in the next fight Bellator is really going to look second rate. It's too bad, because I like seeing legit competition for UFC, but Bellator is having the worst luck possible. Well, maybe not, at least we didn't have to watch Tito and Hampage stink up the joint.

• Like 1

Showing he has learned nothing from his mistakes, Bjorn is already talking about doing Alvarez vs. Chandler III...ON PAY-PER-VIEW!

I wonder if somehow Bjorn is related to Eric Bischoff? Wonder what else they'll have on that card? Hampage against a guy with a 2-7 record? (Oh, wait...) King Mo against someone else that will figure him out? Perhaps roll out Mr. Riggs to bore everyone to death? Hard to say. There are so many ways to screw things up and Bjorn seems hellbent on doing all of them...

King Mo in a 2-man tournament against Keith Jardine. ;-)

Yeah, that'll put meat in the seats. ;-)

Seriously, "The Dean of Mean" is considered a great embarrassment here (a State which has a great many things to be embarrassed about...)

They need to book King Mo in a one-man tournament just to be on the safe side. ;-)

Yes the Newton/Mo interim title fight was a terrible idea.  Bellator really would've just been better off letting the Vegh/Newton fight take place and waiting to put Mo in an actual title fight.  Considering they gave Mo an easy track to winning a 2-man tournament.  I feel bad for Newton though.  He had to win a 3-man tournament and had to beat Mo again and he's still not the real champion, who is not even injured now.  

But yes this card is the perfect of example of why you should never put three title fights on one card.

• Like 1

Yes the Newton/Mo interim title fight was a terrible idea.  Bellator really would've just been better off letting the Vegh/Newton fight take place and waiting to put Mo in an actual title fight.  Considering they gave Mo an easy track to winning a 2-man tournament.  I feel bad for Newton though.  He had to win a 3-man tournament and had to beat Mo again and he's still not the real champion, who is not even injured now.  

But yes this card is the perfect of example of why you should never put three title fights on one card.

Also a perfect example of what not to do with your money guys. Don't put them in fights with guys likely to beat them until you've built them up by feeding them some cans. King Mo needs to work full time in TNA and anyone that thinks Chandler will take the third fight with Eddie is a damn fool. I don't care how close it was on the scorecards, Eddie looked like he was ready to go out on the town and Chandler looked like he was headed for the hospital. You absorb a beating like that, you're likely never going to be the same. That said, Chandler will do just fine after Eddie goes to UFC, but he always be viewed as second rate, just like the promotion.

That's a little harsh on Chandler. He's one of the best fighters in the division. And it's the deepest division in the sport probably. You'd have to be a complete moron to watch the two fights between these two guys and come away thinking "that Chandler guy is second rate"

Chandler is going to be a perennial top guy IMO. It just depends on who he is going to fight. He would destroy Nate Diaz and beat Donald Cerrone and Maynard convincingly enough. That's enough to get you a title shot in the UFC at the moment.

That's a little harsh on Chandler. He's one of the best fighters in the division. And it's the deepest division in the sport probably. You'd have to be a complete moron to watch the two fights between these two guys and come away thinking "that Chandler guy is second rate"

I don't think that Chandler is second rate, however, casual fans will think so after he loses two fights in a row with Eddie. As to whether or not most casual fans are "complete morons", you said it, I didn't. Bellator has a really tough row to hoe to get fans to think that any of their fighters are at the UFC level. It's asinine as they have plenty of talent, but smart marketing has made UFC #1 and the perception exists that everything else is second rate. Doesn't help matters when you try and showcase a couple of has-beens like Hampage and Tito as a "main event".

I think you're half right. Organizations have never stood much of a chance at unseating the UFC but fighters are a different story. Nobody starts in the UFC at 0-0. Every fighter grows elsewhere and I think everybody knows that and people like to spot the next big star of course. If Chandler and Alvarez fight again and deliver another classic and Alvarez wins, fans aren't going to point out how Chandler lost twice to Alvarez and therefore would never belong in the UFC. That's ridiculous. They'd look at the awesome fights and say how they wished they could see these guys fight people like Bendo, Pettis, etc.

I think you're half right. Organizations have never stood much of a chance at unseating the UFC but fighters are a different story. Nobody starts in the UFC at 0-0. Every fighter grows elsewhere and I think everybody knows that and people like to spot the next big star of course. If Chandler and Alvarez fight again and deliver another classic and Alvarez wins, fans aren't going to point out how Chandler lost twice to Alvarez and therefore would never belong in the UFC. That's ridiculous. They'd look at the awesome fights and say how they wished they could see these guys fight people like Bendo, Pettis, etc.

I would hope that you're right, however, from going downtown to watch lots of MMA events at either the Coal Street Pub or Sammy C's I'm not overly impressed with the mental faculties of the average fan... (This says nothing of the inevitable drunk that wants to start shit with me because of my size).

Finally got round to watching Michael Chandler vs. Eddie Alvarez II yesterday. Great fight, another for 2013. I scored it for Chandler 3-2.

You didn't give round one to Eddie? I had it 3-2 the other way, 1,3,5 Alvarez. However, Chandler so dominated Rd #4 that it could have been a 10-8. Great, great fight, though I still wonder about Chandler keeping his hands down, either he thinks he's a lot faster than Eddie, or he forgot that Eddie knows how to hit people in the face...