DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 9/2/2020

Death From Above

also, sorry for the double post, but the Taz/Jake segment we saw last week wasn't good. Kingston interrupting this week definitely grabbed my attention. Tully and Spears ruined that and the segment went downhill from there. But Kingston's presence makes everything better.

• Like 1

Personally, I have no problem with throwaway lines. Unless they actively take away from the show, whether a passing PWG reference or historical fact or person does not do. Sounds more like much ado about nothing.

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, twiztor said:

also, sorry for the double post, but the Taz/Jake segment we saw last week wasn't good. Kingston interrupting this week definitely grabbed my attention. Tully and Spears ruined that and the segment went downhill from there. But Kingston's presence makes everything better.

If a segment doesn't seem to be going well, the answer should always be sending Eddie Kingston out there to talk. 

Imagine the promos King would cut if he were ever in a political office.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 7

I like Excalibur a lot. I think his influence and importance in the modern pro-wrestling scene is severely under-appriciated. I can't think of anyone else stateside who's booked a single indie promotion (sorry, Sapolsky) with that much relevance, quality in-ring action and consistecy. Hell, compare his recent controversy to those of his indie booker contemporaries- shining examples of character like Ian Rotten, John Zandig, Mike Quackenbush, or whoever. Excalibur seems to have few enemies despite putting himself in a position to make dozens.

With that said, I don't like the Falcon Arrow call. It's obviously ironic and thereby buries a move that Hikaru Shida uses as a secondary finish. Don't do that to your champ.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

The JR hate is getting to be clownish.

You're not wrong, but a lot of people DO hate clowns, too! Just saying. ..

JR, like Mauro is definitely an acquired taste at this point, but he is giving an air of legitimacy to the product, despite the fact that he is starting to be pretty much out of touch with today's wrestling  (I refrain from using the word product ).

He will be phased out eventually, but as long as he keeps his foot out of his mouth for the most part, I see no harm in keeping him around, so he can do what he used to love. But I also think he shouldn't have to be on TV every week, either.

...also, JR is on record not liking Doink's green hair, so clowns in general, may have an issue with him.

Edited by Shartnado
more on clowns

Yeah,  so as you can see, if clowns hate JR, not only can it be because of JR'S intolerance of those with bright coloured hair, but also because they are just lashing out due to the hatred bestowed upon them  (unfairly or not ).

...oh, shit! JR hates clowns, because they are always trying to make him smile and keep pestering him, because he's physically unable to do so, and they are not aware of his condition. Fuck! I'm sorry. No more clowning on JR!

Edited by Shartnado
that's why. ..
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Yeahhhh but what were the NXT ratings on Syfy????????

(lol just a playful shit post, not actually trying to be a d-bag to ya)

Given the good number they drew on Tuesday night, probably miniscule. 

13 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Whenever this happens, I look back to when WWF was blowing up in the 80s.  Did McMahon or Ventura, on commentary, ever even reference wrestling from the decade before, let alone something 40 years old?

Lord Alfred Hayes once mentioned on commentary how all the great champions of the past paled to insignificance next to Hogan. Does that count?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

You're not wrong, but a lot of people DO hate clowns, too! Just saying. ..

JR, like Mauro is definitely an acquired taste at this point, but he is giving an air of legitimacy to the product, despite the fact that he is starting to be pretty much out of touch with today's wrestling  (I refrain from using the word product ).

He will be phased out eventually, but as long as he keeps his foot out of his mouth for the most part, I see no harm in keeping him around, so he can do what he used to love. But I also think he shouldn't have to be on TV every week, either.

Last night, Ross called a team "Lucha Express" and a person "Marty Janela."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dog said:

Last night, Ross called a team "Lucha Express" and a person "Marty Janela."

Open mouth, insert foot! Unless he was trying to be funny in some incomprehensible way? "Lucha Express" could be explained away  as  "senior moments" thinking Luchasaurus or Lucha Bros, and "Marty Janela" is close to "Marty Jannetty" , although how do you get "Marty" from "Joey" ?

Not his best outing,  obviously.

Ross said something about "too many Janetty's," or who the hell knows, while everyone else was trying to cover for him.

EDIT: Ha, sorry, it was actually "Wrong Marty"! ?

Edited by Dog

31 minutes ago, Dog said:

Ross said something about "too many Janetty's," or who the hell knows, while everyone else was trying to cover for him.

EDIT: Ha, sorry, it was actually "Wrong Marty"! ?

OK, yeah. Either way, pretty bad. I'll grant you that.

I actually thought Deeb blew Rosa out of the water in that match. Rosa, to me, didn't look a lot above the rest of AEW's non-Shida women's wrestlers. Deeb looked crisp and busted out a few moves and roll-ups that I haven't seen very often. Rosa just looked like Rosemary-lite. I thought the match actually did her a disservice as she rarely got any sort of momentum in the match structure to string more than a move or two together. Made me feel like they were building to a Deeb-Shida match, which would probably be better.

Didn't care for the promo/brawl-a-thon either. I think they should stop giving Jake a live mic, I think they're getting REALLY close to him saying something grossly inappropriate and having to take him off TV. As it is, you had Kingston awkwardly referring to Starks about not knowing whether he should "Take him on a date".

Main event was dumb (Your top guy wrestling a "lawyer"?!) but the post-match beatdown was entertaining.

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

I thought the Mildred Burke joke was funny.

It was at least self-deprecating, and acknowledged how old of a reference she was. 

JR is self-aware, but people are gonna shit on him anyway. I'm kinda in the middle. Fuck knows having sat through WCW announcing in its worst hours makes this a cakewalk. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Given the WWWF only started in the 60s, Vince only had 20 years of history to ignore, except for Bruno and maybe Pedro Morales. 

But in the 90s, every WWF PPV would start with "For over fifty years, the pre-emininent force in Sports Entertainment".

Edited by AxB

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

But in the 90s, every WWF PPV would start with "For over fifty years, the pre-emininent force in Sports Entertainment".

Even they were serious, it would have to be some arbitrary time during the formation of the Toots Mondt/Jess McMahon partnership as NWA Capital Sports only goes back to 1948 (when wrestling came back to MSG). Then four years later, it became Capitol Wrestling Corporation w/ Vincent J. McMahon taking over shortly thereafter when his father passed in '54.

• Like 1

My wife, who does not give a single fuck about wrestling, popped for Rosa’s tree of woe drop kick and DVD.  She was like, “Wow, a woman on this show actually did something that looks like it might hurt for once.”

• Like 4
  • Haha 2