DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 9/2/2020

Death From Above

Yeah, I don't get why Santana & Ortiz vs. Best Friends isn't a match on the PPV. It's had a very good build. It's also a strange feud because traditional logic would have P&P winning the blowoff match if that wasn't it last night because Best Friends just lost a title match. However, with how dirty P&P did Best Friends, the latter would look like goobers without getting some semblance of revenge like not having Santana and Ortiz apologize to Sue.

2 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Of course you’d be an Excalibur fan. Excalibur sounds like an insurance salesman doing commentary and makes lots of references to a niche indy promotion that most people have never watched, so it’s confusing to casual fans of a national promotion trying to grow into something big that lasts.

And whose fanbase is largely smart fans who know what he's referencing and have phones with the internet if they don't and have any interest. Pretending that there's no world outside of your own promotion is dumb. 

While there were still some timing issues, particularly with the battle royal shit, the show felt less thrown together and better planned out. I agree the main event match/angle went on too long, but I think they may have overcompensated after last week. They had Mark milk everything he could, which is fine, but diminishing returns and all that. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

You could say they were so pissed off and out for revenge that they lost focus, playing right into PnP's hands, leading to the loss.  ?  Santana and Ortiz, master manipulators in need of a win, got the Best Friends off their game and took advantage.

Wrestling genius Ortiz! I’m all in on this line of thinking. More back rakes! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

It is interesting to see younger and progressive fans shit on AEW as a whole because they don't feature bad women's wrestling on TV. Voices of Wrestling did an article on how they've managed the division that I agree with entirely. 

I don't disagree with the article in terms of how they've handled their fantastically bad luck in 2020 but there's little things like Brandi's promo on Anna Jay being on Dark instead of Dynamite and Baker/Swole being on the Buy In that lead me to believe they simply don't care about the women as much as the men. If you want to invest in the women's division, you have to amplify them too and that means featuring them as equals.

I agree in principle but there is such a large disparity of talent between the two divisions right now that it would be foolish to pretend that it's all an equal playing field. Unless you're going from a lower end men's match, there will be a noticeable gap in quality that only makes most the women come off even worse. I have been surprised that they debuted Vickie with Nyla and she's been left off TV for the most part. Has Nyla been around on Dark outside of that tournament match a while back?

I do agree that with all the attention its gotten, the great character work put in by everybody involved, and especially now that it's going to be a cinematic match in all likelihood, Baker/Swole should be on the show proper with the 8 man tag being on the buy-in seeming as that was thrown together last minute. I think with smoke and mirrors zany shit, Swole and Britt could have a fun brawl.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Also, just SMH at being thrilled about a reference to 15% (In PWG in 2014 the Young Bucks did...) and bitching about JR making Ray Stevens’ references.

If you can't tell the difference between Excalibur having one dumb catchphrase based on his home promotion* and JR working in a promotion aimed at a younger demo and constantly dropping references to wrestlers who died before their key demo was born, I don't know what to tell you.  One is just a dumb little inside reference and one is actively detrimental. 

*(whose past roster now make up a large chunk of AEW, WWE, and NXT so they must have done something right)

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thunder Rosa vs Senera Deeb was really good. Sign Rosa and maybe even Deeb to see if she’s got anything left in the tank.

Given JR’s penchant for old stuff, I assume they weren’t airing the most recent version of Magnificent 7 after Dynamite. Surely he’d have found a way to talk some shit. 

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Excalibur, Schiavone, & Taz as a 3 man booth would be pretty great.  Move JR to pretaped sitdown interviews.

JR in the rarely-seen elder-statesman role NBC has for Tom Brokaw is really the best use for him. Not that I have a lot of time for either. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CanadianChris said:

It’s like the Royal Rumble. We don’t know the order. 

Maybe I'm misremembering, but weren't there 4 groups of 5, representing the 4 suits, and the 21st entry was the "wild card"?

And then the suits/groups of 5 were drawn to come out at intervals?

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

I agree in principle but there is such a large disparity of talent between the two divisions right now that it would be foolish to pretend that it's all an equal playing field. Unless you're going from a lower end men's match, there will be a noticeable gap in quality that only makes most the women come off even worse. I have been surprised that they debuted Vickie with Nyla and she's been left off TV for the most part. Has Nyla been around on Dark outside of that tournament match a while back?

I do agree that with all the attention its gotten, the great character work put in by everybody involved, and especially now that it's going to be a cinematic match in all likelihood, Baker/Swole should be on the show proper with the 8 man tag being on the buy-in seeming as that was thrown together last minute. I think with smoke and mirrors zany shit, Swole and Britt could have a fun brawl.

I don't think they should stick a bunch of women out there in a 6-man and tell them to get over, my point is that since that is not an option perhaps somebody should be working on a way to elevate the division another way. We all recognize the disparity in available talent which means there aren't women their to push for their own angles like the men, so let's get somebody in charge of the division to get that going. They're very proud that they don't have writers in AEW but maybe they need one or two.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

If you can't tell the difference between Excalibur having one dumb catchphrase based on his home promotion* and JR working in a promotion aimed at a younger demo and constantly dropping references to wrestlers who died before their key demo was born, I don't know what to tell you.  One is just a dumb little inside reference and one is actively detrimental. 

*(whose past roster now make up a large chunk of AEW, WWE, and NXT so they must have done something right)

Saying nobody kicks out of the falcon arrow when literally everyone kicks out of the falcon arrow isn’t detrimental to a casual fan’s understanding of what is going on (since everyone kicks out of the falcon arrow) but referring to a wrestler from another period is?

Yep, detrimental like when NBA announcers reference Wilt Chamberlain, Bob Cousy, or Larry Bird (All were referenced during these playoffs). Wait...

And I guess it’s great that PWG guys have contacts in major promotions but none of them are stars and Wrestling shows either draw less than a Million viewers or struggle to say above that for established shows that used to draw several million viewers, so...

JR’s references might be a little dated but the point is always to get someone or something over—and according to the guy above AEW fans are smart and can google things they don’t immediately pick up on. 

On the other hand, the purpose of Excalibur’s “catch phrase” is to wink at the fans of PWG, or in other words to get himself over.

You like it and him because he’s winking at you but does him doing that actually make the wrestler seem more impressive or make the move more impressive or does it kind of turn the falcon arrow into a kind of joke?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

FWIW, i've never watched a PWG card (probably caught a random match on the youtube here or there, but never seeked anything out) and X's enthusiasm is enough for me. i don't know what the 15% thing means but it's never bothered me. i don't know where the falcon arrow line started but it makes me laugh.

OTOH a reference to Mildred Burke (i thought the date line was funny) or Brisco are also fine. talking about wrestling and the history of it on a wrestling show are totally fine with me

• Like 2