DVDVR Message Board

NXT Super Tuesday - 9/1/2020

Dolfan in NYC

35 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think maybe it's Dusty's passing and Road Dogg and HBK having more influence on NXT than Ryan Ward leaving. Or maybe not. I don't know. Ward isn't even with the company anymore and his stint on SmackDown largely sucked hard. Now, that could also be due to Vince or Hayes fucking with everything, but it's hard to know for sure.

Eh, the problem with this theory is that NXT has had the problems it has gradually growing even before the two of them got involved on the creative side. 

38 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Back to NXT being heel dominated, that's a problem for WWE in general and a big reason why I fucking hate most everything in WWE. For over 10 years now they've been so focused on heels dominating and faces being the dumbest fucking people on the planet. It's hard to get behind faces that are so ungodly stupid, that get outsmarted all the time, that lose as much as they do, and that get no time to shine. They finally took a fresh and new direction with Reigns, the direction he should have had this entire fucking time, he's appeared all of 3 times since returning, and he's maybe my favorite thing in the whole company at the moment because he doesn't get outsmarted, he whoops ass, and he's a tough motherfucker.

You do realize Roman Reigns is a heel, right? Not saying you're wrong, but these statements slightly counter each other. 

If I can point to an apex, I think the NXT house style peaked with Gargano/Almas, and it’s all been down a hill of masturbatory 2.9 endulgence ever since. I disagree that this is itself WWE Main Event Style - what main roster mains this year have had the Gargano/Cole/Ciampa excess formula/layout? The only one I can think of is Orton/Edge. None of Drew’s matches do, and none of the big dude Brock/Goldberg/Braun/Fiend matches do.

So I don’t think it’s WWE Main Event Style, but boy howdy do I think it sucks. 

Edited by For Great Justice

27 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Eh, the problem with this theory is that NXT has had the problems it has gradually growing even before the two of them got involved on the creative side. 

You do realize Roman Reigns is a heel, right? Not saying you're wrong, but these statements slightly counter each other. 

Who gives a fuck if he's supposed to be a heel. This idea they have with Roman as a heel is what makes him a face. It's what people want to see. No one wants to see a dumbass who gets outsmarted and gets their ass kicked all the time. They want someone who is going to beat someone's ass and not get outsmarted. AND he has one of the best talkers in wrestling with him.

That's a big total number, I'd be interested to see if the demos improved.

I'm sorry but losing Dusty and Regal is probably having less of an influence had to hurt a ton.. 

All the big stars that came out of NXT have credited Dusty and Regal with their development..   Ward seemed like a decent writer.

You replace that with Road Dogg and HBK there is bound to be a drop off.. 

Triple H had a great group of people down there helping him run things. It's like replacing the CEO of your successful business with your dummy brother-in-law. Not gonna work.

Some thoughts a few days late, as usual. The main event is just starting so, I may edit this a bit later, as usual too!

The opening 6 man street fight (or whatever) was terrific! Fandango using Breeze as a catapult right...in...the...nuts was just that, nuts! The forklift spot was amazing too! Great story of heroes overcoming the odds on their own and coming out on top! Really good stuff.

Tegan Nox wanting to talk things over with Candice was really nice, but you know, I may still be rather new to this wrestling thing, but somehow I get a feeling they still end up fighting, try as she might.

Candice vs Kacy is like watching two My Little Ponies trying to beat the fuck out of each other! Kacy obviously needed to follow up on her offence, even Kayden told her to stay on Candice. LaRae had no such issues, she was on Kacy like sharks in a tornado, if that was a thing. The ending was NASTY! Stop hurting Kacy, you mean pixie! Oh, so Candice DOES want to talk things over with Tegan? I still have a bad feeling about this...

Bronson Reed continues to be awesome. I figured Theory would mess things up for him. Thatcher moving closer to challenging Priest for NA-title, good for him.

Rhea vs Martinez in a cage? Um, ok. You may have piqued my interest the tiniest bit there. Do you have anything else I might look at before I decide? Oh, excuse me, what I meant to say was, please inject this straight into my eyeballs and make it a double, thanks!

The main event got going after the half-way mark. Pulling for Finn, personally. Looking at the stats during the entrances, apparently Adam Cole is 210lbs and 6 feet tall? I had no idea I was 5'10" and 230lbs, but apparently I am, if that's the case! Out of these guys, I'm closest to Balor's physique, but I've got news for ya, at 190lbs, my definition looks NOTHING like that! It was really cool for Barrett to basically give Balor the credit for retiring him. The last two falls were really well done, but c'mon! Are you fucking kidding me?

Quite lucky they have another Super Tuesday lined up, to ACTUALLY give us a winner, jeez! The match was good and exciting, but as so many others, I too feel that these guys have already had their time on top. Still, Balor next week, please!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

Candice vs Kacy is like watching two My Little Ponies trying to beat the fuck out of each other! Kacy obviously needed to follow up on her offence, even Kayden told her to stay on Candice. LaRae had no such issues, she was on Kacy like sharks in a tornado, if that was a thing. The ending was NASTY! Stop hurting Kacy, you mean pixie! Oh, so Candice DOES want to talk things over with Tegan? I still have a bad feeling about this...

I kind of need to see this now as that's a helluva way to describe it.

1 minute ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I think I saw that and that description is indeed incredibly accurate.

All the time while watching it you are all like " are you sure it's not still early enough to just hug it out and apologize? Oh, no, they're going at it! Please be careful!"

• Haha 2

My hot take on the change in NXT is that it started when they stopped making top indie stars work their way up through the beginners courses at the PC. It was mocked a lot at the time, perhaps rightly so, but a) it gave those guys “polishing” that they were able to use with their own stuff to make them even better, and b) it presumably helped the new people develop more by putting them with experienced people very early.

• Like 1