DVDVR Message Board

NXT Super Tuesday - 9/1/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Spoilers for the main event seem to have leaked. I haven't seen them, but I've seen people's reactions to them, and they were NOT impressed at all.

The clock was on screen when he went for the final cover, and it said 3 seconds. But the ref managed to count three and the clock was at 1, so...

In terms of Iron Man matches on free TV in the last year, this was not a patch on Omega vs Pac. Not even half as good.

• Like 2

The title match wasn't bad for what it was. You have to wonder about the psychology and pacing of a match like this and things got silly at times but I think they managed to keep things moving well. I can't believe they chanted Fight Forever at the 34 minute mark. Good news, everyone, they will. Having each guy get a fall is kind of a boring way to go, even no falls would be better but having one guy go up 3 or a spread like 2-1-1-0 going into the final minutes would be more interesting. Very funny that nobody considered what would happen in case of a tie in a match where it could have very easily happened.

Also, Beth isn't great on commentary. She wouldn't speak until thrown to and even then wouldn't have much to add or even answer a direct question.

Just now, AxB said:

The clock was on screen when he went for the final cover, and it said 3 seconds. But the ref managed to count three and the clock was at 1, so...

In terms of Iron Man matches on free TV in the last year, this was not a patch on Omega vs Pac. Not even half as good.

Technically, a 3 count doesn't mean 3 seconds.

This was pretty much time filler to set up another match.  Sometimes WWE overthinks things when they just could have had something decisive at set something up new next week.

26 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Boy, this was not great. I had high expectations and it just didn't deliver. I'm not sure what's up with NXT matches lately, but they're just not as good as they used to be.

You answered correctly with the second sentence. NXT's set high standards and it's disappointing when those aren't met. It's not what it once was. To me, NXT's best year was 2015 or 2018. It's also stale with people still there in Gargano, Ciampa and Undisputed Era who needed to move to the main roster.

Edited by The Natural

28 minutes ago, AxB said:

Still one of the best matches this year.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Boy, this was not great. I had high expectations and it just didn't deliver. I'm not sure what's up with NXT matches lately, but they're just not as good as they used to be.

I think it's one part burnout on the house style and the guys that have been there for years now, it's one part uninteresting booking, and it's one big part a simple lack of talent. The future of wrestling is in AEW, and for all of the mid 30's indy stars NXT has signed over the past two years they've failed in their core mandate of signing and developing young talent. Allin, Starks, MJF, Jungle Boy, and Guevara are on the other channel. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Also, Beth isn't great on commentary. She wouldn't speak until thrown to and even then wouldn't have much to add or even answer a direct question.

Beth was announcing remotely, so maybe that's how she knew when it was her turn to talk.

• Thanks 1

NXT House style used to be indie wrestling style, and now it's WWE Main Event style. It's changed, simplified. So everyone's cut their moveset down to the three signature spots and one or two possible finishers that the main roster guys get, and paces every match like Hot Opening - wrestling equivalent of packing peanuts - Hot Finish. If it's a five match show, they don't tell you five different stories. They tell you one story five different times.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, AxB said:

NXT House style used to be indie wrestling style, and now it's WWE Main Event style. It's changed, simplified. So everyone's cut their moveset down to the three signature spots and one or two possible finishers that the main roster guys get, and paces every match like Hot Opening - wrestling equivalent of packing peanuts - Hot Finish. If it's a five match show, they don't tell you five different stories. They tell you one story five different times.

I think this is exactly it. I fucking hate the shitty, vanilla, WWE main event style. It's fucking lame. For me, it's not even the wrestlers. I know we talk about how the wrestlers of the future are in AEW and that's the more exciting product, but I really do like/love Adam Cole, Gargano, Ciampa, Balor, etc. WWE has successfully stripped anything special from all of these wrestlers and now they all work the same style of match over and over again.

There was a time where I loved watching NXT every week, even for jobber matches, even for shit like Corbin vs Bull, and I loved watching every Takeover. Now though, it just feels more and more like Raw. The one huge exception was Keith Lee and now he's on the main roster.

• Like 6

Thought the six-man street fight was pretty good. Kacy/Candace was neat as well.

The main event was mostly background noise for me. I have little to no  interest in Cole, would rather Gargano & Ciampa not wrestle each other again for several years, and tend to be hot and cold on Finn. Personally I could not get excited about this match at all going in or during. We have seen 3 of these guys face each other multiple times for the last 3 years, and Finn has never been a master at the more methodical style he he wrestles. The finish being what it was made it worse, especially since the result itself with two of the guys being even and setting another match was so damn predictable.

35 minutes ago, AxB said:

Yeah, no. NXT house style was very much still WWE style its first 4 years or so. It started lacking as it moved more towards the super indy style in its main events the past 3 years. 

Edited by Eivion

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Yeah, no. NXT house style was very much still WWE style its first 4 years or so. It started lacking as it moved more towards the super indy style in its main events the past 3 years. 

I don't know about this take.  Sami Zayn vs. Cesaro or Sami Zayn vs. Nakamura etc.. is geared much more towards what they were all doing prior to WWE in my opinion.. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't know about this take.  Sami Zayn vs. Cesaro or Sami Zayn vs. Nakamura etc.. is geared much more towards what they were all doing prior to WWE in my opinion.. 

Yeah and Sami/Neville, Nakamura/Roode, Joe/Finn, Finn/Owens were all pretty within something you could potentially see on the main roster. Sami/Nakamura didn't feel like it was geared towards their pre-WWE work at all. It was just a grand showcase for Nakamura. I mean part of the reason people here were down on the Dijakovic/Lee matches was because they mentioned seeing them do all that shit before on the indies.

Edited by Eivion

Love Papa H for the most part but it's not a coincidence that the NXT brand has slowly regressed in terms of story telling since Dusty passed away.

We used to get great gimmicks for guys to help them get over.

The tag scene was incredible really with the Vaudevillains, BAMF, Lucha Dragons, Enzo & Cass, The Revival, American Alpha...

There were genuine midcarders being built up and given story lines that worked with their characer. Guys like Bull Dempsey, Baron Corbin, Crews, Dillinger, Breeze...

The main event scene had crazy depth of character. Nothing they do now can touch Neville v Zayn and the transition into Zayn v Owens. Nothing.

Everyone feels very 'same' now. What is the difference between Adam Cole, Johnny Gargano and Finn Balor? What is the difference between Damien Priest and Karrion Kross? By signing so many indie talents the work has been homogenized into a giant blob of 'epic WWE main events' up and down the card.  

Could you imagine them running Fandango/Summer v Santino/Emma in this NXT? What about the Vaudevillain silent movie promos? What about Bull Fit? Could they pull off the slow roll of Jason Jordan looking for a tag partner?

They do some things very well these days but that soul that made NXT really connect is gone.

• Like 13