Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2020


Dolfan in NYC
 Share

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Is there anywhere online that shows Dynamite's ratings on TSN?

I feel like Canadian TV ratings are like Dark Matter. We assume they exist, but proof of that? Good luck. The only thing I can find easily online is a weekly top 30 but that includes both standard networks and cable so the only non network stuff is the Raptors and NHL playoffs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/29803169/brodie-lee-shines-brightly-aew-spotlight-dark-order-side?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Cool profile of Brodie from ESPN, featuring Uno and Grayson talking about just how fucked they thought they were prior to Brodie coming in.  They all credit BTE with helping them find their characters.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The talk about self-doubt and finding his confidence and relearning how to trust his instincts is low key amazing and shows how fucked up working in the machine you can get. We all noticed that increase in Brodie's presence and belief in his presentation over the past two or so months and now we know why.

Quote

 That anxiety, that confidence, and all of that coming out together, I hope you guys are enjoying it.

Damn. Also, yes.

Awesome article and thank you for sharing. It's great to hear that he's found himself and he's unleashed to maximize his potential even at the age of 40. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's really awesome of Kahn to listen to the fans and put it on the main card. I'm like weirdly unaccustomed to that level of interaction. It's almost like a promotion shouldn't hate it's fans?

TK if you're reading this: I might have to pirate the show since BR won't have it up til Sunday so I just bought a Dark Order shirt for myself and a Bucks shirt for my gf, hope we're even man

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, EVA said:

https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/29803169/brodie-lee-shines-brightly-aew-spotlight-dark-order-side?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Cool profile of Brodie from ESPN, featuring Uno and Grayson talking about just how fucked they thought they were prior to Brodie coming in.  They all credit BTE with helping them find their characters.

And here's Jericho being interviewed in SI. AEW is getting some pretty good mainstream attention these days!

https://www.si.com/wrestling/2020/09/04/aew-all-out-chris-jericho-orange-cassidy-mimosa-mayhem#:~:text=Q%26A%3A Why Chris Jericho Decided,Mimosa Mayhem With Orange Cassidy&text=For Jericho%2C this marks another,of a potentially legitimate star.

Edited by gordi
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

There are a couple of women they have working as jobbers on Dark who honestly should just be part of the real rotation. I think they kind of put themselves in a spot there. Case in point the Ivelisse vs. Kilynn King match tonight was perfectly fine.

Speaking of which, according to the lower third Ivelisse's wins in the Women's Tag Team Tournament are apparently cannon, therefore, she has become the 4th local talent to win a match in AEW.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Godfrey said:

So glad they made the change with Britt and Swole and very thankful for it. It’s refreshing to express your concerns to a company and have them addressed, it makes you feel alright about giving them money. Funny that.

Its interesting I was just listening to the conference call and TK was emphasising why the Buy-In was an equally important position for it, but I guess they thought better. Given they’ve got more of a fleshed our story than a lot of the card it makes sense too (certainly Bucks Jurassic Express).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Jiji said:

The talk about self-doubt and finding his confidence and relearning how to trust his instincts is low key amazing and shows how fucked up working in the machine you can get. We all noticed that increase in Brodie's presence and belief in his presentation over the past two or so months and now we know why.

Damn. Also, yes.

Awesome article and thank you for sharing. It's great to hear that he's found himself and he's unleashed to maximize his potential even at the age of 40. 

I felt so bad for him, when all he wanted to do was work and show what he can do and they weren't using him even on house shows. He had that insane match with Dijakovic on World Collide and still, nothing. I'm very selfish in not wanting guys to leave WWE, because I want to keep on seeing them, but I was so happy to see him GTFO and just get a chance to do what he was literally begging to do. Let alone this level of rebirth! Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside (I mean the coffee helps, too, but still)!

Not filing for Dark Order membership just yet, but I can see the are an altruistic bunch, despite the rather misleading name. May I suggest something less gloomy? Then we'll talk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, EVA said:

https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/29803169/brodie-lee-shines-brightly-aew-spotlight-dark-order-side?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Cool profile of Brodie from ESPN, featuring Uno and Grayson talking about just how fucked they thought they were prior to Brodie coming in.  They all credit BTE with helping them find their characters.

Thanks for this. Really like Brodie Lee. I was unlucky not to have seen Luke Harper live. The one time he was booked to appear in April 2016, he injured his knee a few weeks before.

Edited by The Natural
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, The Natural said:

aew1477-1.png

New Hangman Adam Page shirt.

I say I ironically in terms of capturing the 2020 zeitgeist this could be the ubiquitous cross-over shirt (minus the AEW logo) a la Bullet Club in Hot Topic, where anecdotally a lot of non-wrestling fans bought it because it spoke to them/ the logo was cool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, gordi said:

My god, who would have thought a possible Jericho/Jack Evans program could happen just a few years ago?

AEW is fuckin' nuts and I love it. And there's a quote in there that I really like too, that kind of takes a shot at WWE in a way:

Quote

My spotlight is engraved in gold at this point. I don’t need more of a spotlight. But I sure do like giving other guys a spotlight and seeing what they can do with it. Some will stick, some won’t, but that’s always been my goal and attitude. You can’t do Kenny vs. Jericho or Cody vs. Jericho or Moxley vs. Jericho three years in a row. The more colors we have on our palette to paint our stories, the better it is.

Say what you want about Chris Irvine, but Chris Jericho the wrestler has shown that he's willing to work with people "below him", the same way The Rock did with people like The Hurricane. Did that work out? No, not really. But Darby Allin and Scorpio Sky (moreso Darby) are right there on the cusp - Scorpio has a little bit to go, but he can get there too if they wanted to do that.

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

not gonna lie, after BTE this week i went looking for a "Dark Order AF" shirt and was disappointed there wasn't one available

There is now.

beingtheelite9067-1.png

Edited by Casey
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Death From Above said:

There are a couple of women they have working as jobbers on Dark who honestly should just be part of the real rotation. I think they kind of put themselves in a spot there. Case in point the Ivelisse vs. Kilynn King match tonight was perfectly fine.

Kilynn King has looked really good whenever I've seen her.  She's not in a position to be having blowaway matches, but her mechanics are really strong.  And strong mechanics is sadly a lot more than most have in the division.  Neither Swole nor Baker are at her level.  I get the posi vibes around Khan listening to the fans who are wanting Baker/Swole on the main show, but I gotta kinda wonder the motivation of these fans?  What's wrong with it being on the pre for free?  Do we want a 4 hour PPV or something more capable of being good cut down?  I also get that this probably has something to do with being into Baker's fantastic character work.  But I can't imagine she's suddenly become capable of having good to great matches.  I know this isn't an in ring contest, but rather a 'cinematic match' (yay), but I don't trust this not being a complete waste of time (one of a few reasons why I'll be watching with a FF trigger close on my tape delay viewing).  Anyway, hope I'm wrong, but expecting a surprised negative reaction to this match by everybody clamouring for it to be on the main card. 

Great press on Brodie Lee.  This idea that everybody thought he was gonna be a bust or wasn't up to snuff on his debut/early days is false.  I thought he looked great from the get go (the first I was ever seeing him; never saw more than highlights of 'Luke Harper'), and I wasn't alone.  I'm not saying there weren't misfires, but it also wasn't as if you couldn't see with patience that he'd find his stride.  Or 'confidence'.  This guy is incredible.  From his mic work to his in ring.  Sky's the limit, and luckily this company has unselfish performers like Cody to do the proper honors and elevate him in the eyes of everyone. 

Like all of us Jericho is a human being full of good qualities and faults.  Expecting this wrestling 'genius' to make smart choices outside the ring is overextending our expectations (sure it would be nice if he...).  Same too anybody on the roster or in the industry. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Kilynn King has looked really good whenever I've seen her.  She's not in a position to be having blowaway matches, but her mechanics are really strong.  And strong mechanics is sadly a lot more than most have in the division.  Neither Swole nor Baker are at her level.  I get the posi vibes around Khan listening to the fans who are wanting Baker/Swole on the main show, but I gotta kinda wonder the motivation of these fans?  What's wrong with it being on the pre for free?  Do we want a 4 hour PPV or something more capable of being good cut down?  I also get that this probably has something to do with being into Baker's fantastic character work.  But I can't imagine she's suddenly become capable of having good to great matches.  I know this isn't an in ring contest, but rather a 'cinematic match' (yay), but I don't trust this not being a complete waste of time (one of a few reasons why I'll be watching with a FF trigger close on my tape delay viewing).  Anyway, hope I'm wrong, but expecting a surprised negative reaction to this match by everybody clamouring for it to be on the main card. 

It’s an issue because outside of the world and tag titles, this match has had the best build of the ppv (and I’d put it over some of MJF’s promos tbh) and it’s a cinematic match and it’s one of only two women’s matches where as, say, Bucks/Jurassic Express was booked this week and could easily be a Dynamite main event (or not even that). Regardless of what you may think of the match quality, putting Baker/Swole on the Buy In devalues it, and this is a company that’s still trying to build its women’s division. Put the Dark Order 8-man on the pre-show, unless you think Matt Cardona is bringing the buys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a thought. With AEW running live shows with a ticket paying live crowd (even if it's only at 15% capacity), is TK's Dad going to use that as precedent when he goes to the NFL and say he wants to sell tickets to Jags games this season?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...