DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2020

Dolfan in NYC

"Ben Carter Isn't British" is the kind of catchy, doofy thing young AEW talents can build recurring bits on BTE around. The only other Jerseyman (it's Jerseyman, right? Jerseyperson?) anybody in the US has heard of is that guy who's The Witcher. He should run with it for a little while.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

3 hours ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

*Googles* - Wait what? Superman isn't British?! I've been lied to. He's basically French. What the hell man, next thing you'll be telling me Braveheart wasn't Scottish...

William Wallace wasn't the Braveheart. That was Robert the Bruce (who was portrayed as a coward in the Mel Gibson movie). The movie is a load of bollocks, basically. 

‘Basically French’ is a bit of overstatement. Keeping on the football theme (and dating myself) Matt Le Tissier, from Guernsey, played for England after all.

The trouble with signing all the great talent is then you need to have something for them to do that doesn’t push out the existing great talent even with more TV coming along. Archer was in a holding pattern backstage for weeks and weeks before being featured again in the Battle Royal. Less of an issue for the ladies, and they should snap up whoever they can, but I would be more judicious with the men. Matt Sydal is a head-scratcher for example. But that said I wouldn’t pass up a prospect like Ben Carter. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

Sydal isn’t signed, he’s working the ROH Pure Title Tournament I’m pretty sure. I doubt AEW would allow him to do that if he was signed full time.

Sydal is working the ROH Pure Title Tournament. He just advanced in the tournament by defeating Delirious.

• Like 1

And Ben Carter was one of those people.  Yeah that is a great way to encourage new talent to work Dark.  I mean if you aren't a Sloppy shop then people who have only worked there for 3 weeks shouldn't be getting it.   Unless unfortunately he was the one that had it and then it goes to your testing issues

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, hammerva said:

And Ben Carter was one of those people.  Yeah that is a great way to encourage new talent to work Dark.  I mean if you aren't a Sloppy shop then people who have only worked there for 3 weeks shouldn't be getting it.   Unless unfortunately he was the one that had it and then it goes to your testing issues

Yeah it will be interesting to know how this started. Are their testing protocols compromised? Someone had to be patient zero.

Speculation right now seems to be that one or both of the Warrior Wrestling shows that took place between Dynamite tapings may be the culprit in spreading this.  Carter and Cage wrestled each other on one of them.

We’ll definitley have a clearer picture after the Dark card for next weeks is announced.  Jurassic Express wasn’t on the show last night, and while that’s not unprecedented, it is unusual.  They’re on nearly every Dynamite.  If they aren’t on Dark, something’s up with them, and Luchasaurus was on one of those Warrior shows. Dark regular Pillman was, too.  Tay Conti also.

It's sad I had to look up what sloppy shop was referring to.  But it doesn't surprise me this happened.  Like Alstein said unless you do a full bubble there's chances of positives happening.  No matter safe AEW has been that's the unfortunate reality.  And I fear with things getting worse that more will get it no matter safe they try to be.

Going forward I think one thing that might work is to maybe space it out where certain people just aren't on for a couple weeks.  Have them quarantine per protocol and stagger their appearances if you need to.  And if that's not an option then at this point just have it be a season and go full bubble.  Do however many tapings without a crowd and after it ends then they can go home and not travel.  They've been doing a great job so far especially considering they're in Florida.  But there's always more that AEW can do for the safety of everybody involved.

Wasn't Joey Janela on that Warrior Wrestling show though?

Butcher and Blade are on the podcast this week. Which may well have been recorded two weeks ago, rather than yesterday.