DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2020

Dolfan in NYC

The Dark Order keep knocking it out of the park on BTE. Absolutely incredible the difference from the start of the year vs now. Them singing Cody's theme song and Stu's massive bump for Anna Jay was easily the best thing this week (although I did like the Spanglish bit too). I'm kinda over the whole "Best Friends want to kill Brandon Cutler" thing though. Really wish they'd move on from that. 

As for Dark, looks like Veda Scott can be added to the long list of talent that weren't at the last tapings for one reason or another. Ricky Starks did a decent job, but man Shawn Spears..... I just don't get it. Dude does nothing for me in the ring or on the mic. He's like your friend doing a bad Randy Orton impression that he swears to you is spot on even though it's absolutely not. Is Serpentico under contract now? Interesting that they gave him and Luther a team name. I wish Pillman Jr could get out of his MLW contract and sign on full time with AEW so he would get a shot at being more than just a job guy. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Is Serpentico under contract now? Interesting that they gave him and Luther a team name.

No (unfortunately), but him and Luther have been a thing for a while, and Chaos Project has been their name since early August. There also easily one of my favorite tag teams.

Tazz Jones Count for 09/29/20: 2 (Full Circle, Green Tongue)

Another solid episode of Dark. That Cezar guy that teamed with Shawn Dean this week was huge!
Also, something I overlooked (and possibly forgot about) is that since apparently Women's Tournament matches count as cannon, Tay Conti is now added to the list of local talents to have won a match, as her tournament win came before her being signed by the company. That makes the list now stand at seven wrestlers.

I remember Cezar looking good while getting his ass handed to him when he was in WWE Developmental, but he showed me nothing here outside of looking tall. The Conti match shows why she was a great pick up, and why she felt she deserved to be featured more on WWE TV. Taz’s commentary will be legendary for finding great sound bites when the fans dig up this footage again.

Edit: BTW that ring post camera angle is really good. If it wasn’t pointed out by commentary, I would’ve assume a guy was standing on the apron.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Ehhhhhh... Tony just probably doesn’t think they could do anything with him. Honestly, if he comes in permanently that removes a roster spot that could go to Lee Johnson, Hobbs, and Ben Carter. I think AEW already has enough vets to put over young guys already. It’s also not like they need another guy who recently got jacked types.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, EVA said:

BTW I don’t have the link, but Matt Cardona confirmed he finished up with AEW at All Out.  The door is open for him to come back.

What a weird run that was.

Weird run, yes.  But the guy not only got a nice payday for a few dates but also was the top merch seller for their site for a bit.  So I imagine he's not crying much over it.  I just hope that he doesn't spend it all on figures.  But I can see him joining Hawkins though I think they made it clear they don't want to team up for the time being.  So if that's the case then Impact's not guaranteed for Cardona.

I don't think he's interested in elevating his game.  WWE killed his self-made progress and cut his legs out 8 years ago and he made no moves to do anything with his career until he was fired, and even then all he did was take a few dates with his pal's company.  I mean whatever...the guy doesn't really care, and that's about it.

I mean I'd love to see him working UWFI rules matches against Hoodfoot in Paradigm Pro but it's not going to happen. 

I'm sure the pandemic isn't helping Matt really explore as a worker either. But, I can't imagine him performing better than Cody did in an environment like Battle Of Los Angeles or any other Super Indy place. Safest space for him is probably helping impact.

NJPW.... nah.

I mean, who thought Lance Hoyt would have turned into Lance Archer? Remember when we used to write him as basically a bum who only got pops from the Impact crowd because he would hang out with them after shows or hang out with them at that diner they all used to go to? Now he's legit one of the most entertaining monster wrestlers in the world. If Lance could do it, then I think Cardona could too.

That said, the dude also has a really successful podcast and online presence. It's not like he needs to wrestle, but he still seems like he has love for the game. If his love is still that strong, I wouldn't be shocked to see him go to Japan. Plus, there's a whole lot more toys and shit he can buy in Japan.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think Cardona needs to go to Japan. I think he'd be a good fit in NJPW with Chaos and might even be able to elevate his game like Lance Archer did.

I can see him pull a Billy Gunn(Really like almost every gaijin in existence), and get over by looking bigger, and stronger than the entire roster in tags.

The Paydirt is hilarious, Shelton Rock Bottoms himself and somehow that hurts his opponent. At least the Rough Rider is a sort of leg lariat/leg drop combo that looks like Cardona puts some of his weight on it.

Impact seems like a place Cardona could fit into well. They're doing a lot of vignettes and backstage segments these days, that would allow him to use his strengths. I'd like to see him in New Japan too if only to see how he does in that environment. And Mexico, for that matter.

• Like 1