DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2020

Dolfan in NYC

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

Just when I thought the Dark Order couldn't be any funnier, Silver and Reynolds raise the bar again.

On the one hand, I really think they should just do their own spinoff show on Youtube, but on the other hand, BTE wouldn't be must watch type stuff anymore.

"PUT HIM DOWN. I'M NOT LOOKING UP." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/20/2020 at 8:08 AM, Godfrey said:

Honma’s biggest highspot is missing a headbutt and his supermove is hitting a headbutt. That kind of gimmick would be great for Cutler or Avalon or Cutler and Avalon. It’s so simple and effective when it’s done right it.

You really must not like those guys if you're encouraging them to develop CTE like that ? Harley Race himself said he regretted inventing the diving headbutt and that nobody should use it! How did Honma break his neck anyway, was it headbutt-related? 

5 hours ago, just drew said:

Sara Amato just became available, didn't she?

I think you're thinking of Sarah Stock. Who would also be an asset to AEW, but I imagine since she was just released, she has a non-compete like everyone else did.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Craig H said:

Just when I thought the Dark Order couldn't be any funnier, Silver and Reynolds raise the bar again.

On the one hand, I really think they should just do their own spinoff show on Youtube, but on the other hand, BTE wouldn't be must watch type stuff anymore.

06:12-08:15 especially the botched papers throw is the most I've laughed and made me cry doing so in a long time. As someone with mental health issues particularly depression, this was chicken soup for the soul. Thanks to Sue, Mr. Brodie Lee and the Dark Order for that.

• Like 4

On 9/19/2020 at 5:57 PM, John E. Dynamite said:

I'm still waiting for AEW to bite the bullet and go full-NJPW-rip-off on some yearly Round Robin leagues. The idea of Cutler and Avalon as the Honmamania in a tag league is a tantalizing thought.

If AEW is to be the anti-WWE, I fully endorse occasional tournaments, as Vince hates them and thinks fans are too dumb to follow them.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

If AEW is to be the anti-WWE, I fully endorse occasional tournaments, as Vince hates them and thinks fans are too dumb to follow them.

I was wondering last night if they could pull off a G1 style tournament but without house shows it would take months to run all the matches. They did a single elimination tourney for the TNT Title, I could get used to having one of those every year for a title shot. That leaves the battle royal as your chance at the World Title.

6 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I was wondering last night if they could pull off a G1 style tournament but without house shows it would take months to run all the matches. They did a single elimination tourney for the TNT Title, I could get used to having one of those every year for a title shot. That leaves the battle royal as your chance at the World Title.

I thought about them doing this before, but that was back when there were indies running shows and stuff. My thought was to run a smaller G1 style tournament, air the matches on Dynamite and Dark, but also run matches at random indies that AEW wants to help prop up. Then you show footage from the finish to those matches on Dynamite or Dark or something. COVID made it so that wouldn't be possible though.

• Like 1

Yeah, this.  I've never watched G1 but it feels too big to me.  Two blocks of 10 wrestlers = 90 matches before the finals.  Two blocks of six is doable (15 matches per block).  Alternate each block's matches from one Dynamite to the next for a Summer and make it a seasonal thing.

BTW the math is for single elimination round robin is (total wrestlers in a block) X (total wrestlers in a block minus one), then divide by 2. ?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Thanks 1

Part of the G1's appeal is the grueling nature of the tournament but space it out too much and you have that never ending Bound for Glory tournament TNA did for a whole summer. Small blocks and a second TV show would alleviate that. It's a shame about not being able use the indies for those matches, that would be the kind of move that's good for wrestling all over.

• Like 1

Some US indies are running. Depends on state guidelines whether they're doing empty arena, or limited attendance w/ social distancing. For example, Heavy Metal Wrestling just ran a live show in Texas, where they made 10 tickets available to the public. Which technically still outdrew Wrestlemania.

GCW's outdoor shows in New Jersey and Indianapolis have been doing well enough that they keep running them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So I decided to be a dirt bag today, and I went inside the Walmart just now in between going home from work. I wanted to pick up an AEW figure, and... Nothing. All I got is a Cody that I pre-ordered months ago. This is bullshit.

There's supposed to be a big restock next month.

• Thanks 1

Tazz Jones Count for 09/22/20 : 0(!) (Excalibur said "Geography Jones" but that doesn't count.)

Excellent episode of Dark!
Congrats to Ben Carter who has now become local talent #6 to have won a match. Carter and Johnson had hands-down the match of the night, that was really impressive and I was hoping Lee was going to finally be able to pull off his first win there, but alas not this time.

Jon Silver pretending to be Brodie Lee was possibly the funniest thing I've seen in a while (short of him trying to frame Stu on last week's episode.) Bless Sue, she's a really good sport and loved her bits.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Casey said:

I think you're thinking of Sarah Stock. Who would also be an asset to AEW, but I imagine since she was just released, she has a non-compete like everyone else did.

That's exactly who I'm thinking of, and I'm not 100% sure I knew they were two different people.

• Like 1

It took a while for them to win me over, but I love the Dark Order now - I don't really like that you kinda do have to watch BTE but I'll live with it.

I hadn't seen Uno's finish ('Something Evil') before - indyriffic af but it actually looked pretty hurty.

Daniels salvaging the Moonsault Press was nicely done, but obv he needs to retire that move. It's a shame AEW probably wouldn't want to get the footage needed to do a decent tribute to the guy - but I hope they give him a retirement segment when the time comes. He hasn't always been everyone's cup of tea, but Christoper Daniels is the 21st Century Indy legend above all others.

I really hate that 'Full Death' finish of Butcher and Blade. Just do a Hart Attack or something. Butcher beginning to become a bit of a body guy tho.

FFS how many tag team squashes are there?!....

Serenity Lock (Tequila Sunrise) should of course be renamed Serenity Now. Though the Sweetheart Sunrise would actually be a better allusion to the Straight Edge Society.

There's no such thing at the 'British Channel' and I hate 'I'm British me!' gimmicks. Ben Carter should lean into the Channel Islands thing more, Jersey isn't in the UK - it's (very) basically Puerto Rico (they probably have more cows and tax exiles). Ben Carter isn't British. 

It's called the English Channel, not the British Channel. Unless you're French, then it's called La Manche. Which means... The Channel.

Carter vs Johnson was a hell of a match though. Hard to believe this was a first time match-up, and with them both being so young, it has that feel (like MJF vs Jungle Boy) that maybe we'll be seeing this rematched for years and years. 

Ben Carter needs to give a kiss to whoever has been agenting his Dark matches, because he’s looked better than he’s ever looked the past two weeks.  I’ve seen him do this same sort of “dueling hotshot up-and-comers” type of match before, and it kinda fell apart in the past.  This match with Lee was well put together, even if there were a few things I didn’t like.  The double down-double kip-double boot spot was terrific, and you could tell it legit popped everybody at ringside.

• Like 1

Goddamn do I love Dark.  I was incredibly entertained throughout and time just flew by.  The commentary team is a hoot and a half to listen to.  Even if I don't care for the match them having fun will keep me from skipping most matches.  I do kind of wish they'd tone that down for main events as there was one normally humorous talking point that was distracting.  But other than that it's great.

As for the matchups this was one of the better ones.  The squashes were mostly good to great and the up and comers have a lot of potential.  And I'm sure @Caseywas in love with King/Deeb which was a pretty good match.  King really should be signed and I feel it won't be long before she is.  And then there's Starks/Daniels which was awesome and Carter/Johnson which was an incredible showcase for them.  I will say that Kingston was great in shutting down Brian's stuff but some of Brian's reactions took me out of the match.  Wacky faces don't work and when in that type of match the intensity needs to be there.  Liked his chops though.