DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2020

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, gordi said:

Not a whole lot recently. I thought he had a good match v Hiromu in the NJ Cup.

I’ll have to look it up. I only watched the NJ Cup Finals show so I didn’t see any of the tournament matches. 

• Like 1

You understand he more or less broke his neck not that long ago? He was having consistently good-to-great matches not that long prior to that. I remember an amazing match with Ibushi, another with Ishii, but he was mixing it up with the NEVER bois and somebody I looked forward to watching. Now he can barely move and besides the Hirmou match, he hasn't had anything worthwhile since that return because... he can barely move. And yeah, let's not even get into Hase tights Honma in BJW. He was fantastic and took the high-end FMW deathmatch style and put even more straight wrestling and orthodox psychology into it. 

• Like 5

I know he broke his neck he was out for over a year and cane back and he probably shouldn’t have came back. I’m not a death match guy so I haven’t seen his death match days but he doesn’t do it for me. He’s in the undercard matches in multi mans so he doesn’t do more than he’s capable of but  he does nothing for me.

24 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I know he broke his neck he was out for over a year and cane back and he probably shouldn’t have came back. I’m not a death match guy so I haven’t seen his death match days but he doesn’t do it for me. He’s in the undercard matches in multi mans so he doesn’t do more than he’s capable of but  he does nothing for me.

His G1 runs (2014 and 2015, in particular) as a scrappy, lovable loser were super fun. That was the connection being drawn with Cutler and Avalon.  He was great as the overmatched guy relentlessly throwing himself headlong into defeat.

• Like 3

“It was a lot of fun to do it with my coworkers and meet new people, have fun,” Shanna said. “I’m leaving next week to spend 14 days in a neutral, non banned county, by Mr. Trump’s proclamation. After 14 days I can enter the United States. Let’s hope for no road blocks.”

I've missed Shanna, not going to lie about that. She was one of my favorites pre-COVID. Someone on Reddit said Anthony Ogogo is doing the same thing as Shanna, IE going to a neutral country for quarantine so travel to the US is allowed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EVA said:

His G1 runs (2014 and 2015, in particular) as a scrappy, lovable loser were super fun. That was the connection being drawn with Cutler and Avalon.  He was great as the overmatched guy relentlessly throwing himself headlong into defeat.

Remember he was also replacing Ishii in one of them. Basically playing a similar part, but was like you said booked as a “Scrappy loser”. And yes all those matches were in some form classics.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Honma sucks. Besides a flashy robe a blonde buzz cut and headbutts what does he got?

It's been said, but I'll reiterate. Every one of his matches from the 2014 and 2015 G1 Climax + the matches he had in-between against the upper midcard (Shibata, Ishii, Kota, etc.) add up to one of the best runs I've ever seen an undercard guy have, in any company, ever. It's pure pro-wrestling. 100% perfect underdog stuff. The decibels those crowds hit speak for themselves. His 2016 G1 was fine, then the injury happened, and yeah, nothing too remarkable since then. Occasionally hard to watch. But peak Honmamania was a fuckin' thing. Have we already forgotten?

Edited by John E. Dynamite

Admittedly I didn't get into New Japan in any serious capacity until 2017, I'm only familiar with him post injury where it's been nothing but head butts, he must have been good at one point cuz you're not the first one to give me a tongue lashing. I have New Japan World I'll go back and watch the 14 and 15 G1's. My apologizes. Fucking Honma.

Just when I thought the Dark Order couldn't be any funnier, Silver and Reynolds raise the bar again.

On the one hand, I really think they should just do their own spinoff show on Youtube, but on the other hand, BTE wouldn't be must watch type stuff anymore.

• Haha 2

So I'm on a particularly long trip for work, driving to Colorado and back, and I started the AEW podcast after hearing how great the last couple episodes were. I can absolutely confirm that it's a delight to listen to these people talk about the building of this new company, and it's actually brought my enthusiasm for them - and for wrestling as a whole - to a level it hasn't been in years. The sheer joy that comes out of these interviews is palpable. Even if you're not a podcast listener, if you're a fan of this fed you should probably check it out. 

• Like 6

It’s a good one and a feel-good story considering the long road and ups and downs. Kind of like (though not as emotional) when Santana was on Busted Open radio after the parking lot brawl, he was tearing up talking about the roller coaster he’s been through in his personal life and the anxiety and depression that he’s struggled through, to have a banger of a match to prove to the world what they are capable of in the main event. Chuckie T was close to packing it all in a few years ago and now with the landscape changed there’s a place for him.

On BTE the best part was the whole of Dark Order corpsing at Sue botching the paper toss.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Is she a Wrestler or and Agent?

We don't know (I suspect Meltzer will have more info about it this week), but one would assume she's an active in-ring talent as well as a coach/agent too. It'd be like hiring Sara Amato, if she was available, and only using her as one or the other when she's (seemingly) willing to do both.