DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2020

Dolfan in NYC

Speaking of Jericho, I don't know what to make of him attempting to put over Sonny and Janela. I've never thought Janela was any good from a workrate standpoint. He's a sawed off, sloppier version of Lenny Lane who was himself a knock off of Jericho. He's fine as a garbage wrestler though.

Sonny, I'm still not sure about. I want to hear her talk first to see if that same charisma in body language transfers over to the mic. Fairly athletic, has a good muscular body, a good look, , but I still don't know what to think about in ring ability. The Cody match was good though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Speaking of Jericho, I don't know what to make of him attempting to put over Sonny and Janela. I've never thought Janela was any good from a workrate standpoint. He's a sawed off, sloppier version of Lenny Lane who was himself a knock off of Jericho. He's fine as a garbage wrestler though.

Sonny, I'm still not sure about. I want to hear her talk first to see if that same charisma in body language transfers over to the mic. Fairly athletic, has a good muscular body, a good look, , but I still don't know what to think about in ring ability. The Cody match was good though.

All I’ve seen of Sonny outside of AEW was the last couple of seasons of Lucha Underground. So like you I haven’t really formed a solid opinion yet. 

But Janela screams waste of time, and definitely should not be the next “project” for Jericho. 

I like Jericho wanting to work with younger guys, but at least pick ones that have potential, and not just a garbage wrestler. I keep waiting for he or Sammy to turn on the other as that feels like an actual money feud, and one that will firmly establish Sammy as a Main Eventer.

I'm not sure if Janela & Kiss really are the next "big" project for Jericho. Between his programs with Moxley, The Elite and Orange Cassidy, he also had little stuff with Scorpio Sky, Jungle Boy und Pineapple Pete. Janela and Kiss to transition from one big feud to the next sounds fine to me. When he's done with that, I'd like to see Jericho revisit Jungle Boy or Scorpio Sky. Both of them don't really have anything meaningful to do beside beeing featured regulary as quite good wrestlers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, MrKothoga said:

I'm not sure if Janela & Kiss really are the next "big" project for Jericho. Between his programs with Moxley, The Elite and Orange Cassidy, he also had little stuff with Scorpio Sky, Jungle Boy und Pineapple Pete. Janela and Kiss to transition from one big feud to the next sounds fine to me. When he's done with that, I'd like to see Jericho revisit Jungle Boy or Scorpio Sky. Both of them don't really have anything meaningful to do beside beeing featured regulary as quite good wrestlers.

I’d be fine with either of those two as his next feud. If I had to pick I’d lean towards Scorpio Sky as it seems like Jungle Boy has longer to develop, and become a mega star. 

Hell if they hadn’t rushed into his first title shot, and loss I think a feud with MJF and Le Champion would’ve been a good feud too. It would have established MJF better than getting a title shot for beating a glorified job squad of opponents, and also let him show more of his vicious side in ring wise.

Also for Dynamite is Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus vs Penta & Fenix. Which was supposed to have happened last October in the tag tournament, but Luchasaurus injured himself warming up (or something) and Marko had to sub for him.

• Like 2

Carter/Starks was very fun. Both are pretty damned good at mat/chain wrestling, though Starks could use a few more heelish cutoffs/reversals for my liking. First time seeing Carter and I can see why there's some buzz. Lightning quick, technically crisp, and sells well. 

And to reiterate that I'm not making shit up, Taz asked Excalibur on commentary during the match, "Wasn't it awesome for you guys when I joined the commentary team during the battle royal?" Excalibur replied, "Well I know one of us liked it." lol. IT'S ALL IN CHARACTER THO. 

• Like 1

Tazz Jones Count for 09/08/20: 2 (Superkick, Tibula Bone)

Congrats to Will Hobbs for becoming the 5th local competitor to win a match! And boy did he look impressive in doing so. I'm glad that his squash match against Orange is behind him now, I'm digging him more and more.

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 3

Words on Dark this week. This actually packed in a lot for a show that clocked in at under an hour. I tend to enjoy the shorter Dark's a little more than when it goes 90 minutes or so.

I liked the Will Hobbs showcase on Dark, Sean Legacy looked like he might be a useful guy to have around too. Being a straight ahead power wrestler actually stands out in the current climate of high flying. Decent short match. Is Hobbs the first guy to escape being brought in as a jobber? I am pretty sure he's the first at least since I started watching anyway.

Tony Donatti took about 10 bumps in 3 minutes for Brian Cage. Cage's finish was the least impressive thing he did in the match tbh, too convoluted. Everything else looked good. Angelico twisting Griff Garrisson into a pretzel was cool. Garrisson actually got to have all the non-mat sections including showing off a wild powerbomb variant I'm not going to try to name. Surprisingly competitive match. The Anna Jay/Skyler Moore match was honestly fine though nothing I went nuts over. Jay showing off a mean streak was good. Eddie Kingston beat up Lee Johnson. I think if I'd actually been watching wrestling closely in the last decade, there's a good chance Eddie would be a favourite of mine. He's got a lot of nice little details even in a match like this. The body language, the shit talking, just little things. He gets it. Sonny Kiss/Serpentico was a sprint. The double stomp counter from Serpentico was cool.

Main event was about 6 or 7 minutes of Ben Carter vs Ricky Starks. Starks is another guy I probably should find more of because he's good. He'll paintbrush jobbers, shit talks, seems to have good looking strikes, paces his matches in the classic US tv way. You can tell which guys in AEW actually watch wrestling and which ones don't. 

• Like 1

I like Hobbs a lot I want to throw him in the mix of Darby,  Starks, MJF, etc..  as far all top young talent on this roster. They are loaded with prospects.   

In other news,  I'm waiting on a big move from Fenix and Pentagon.  I think they should be elevated soon to the upper midcard,  potential main event status. 

4 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Tazz Jones Count for 09/08/20: 2 (Superkick, Tibula Bone)

Congrats to Will Hobbs for becoming the 5th local competitor to win a match! And boy did he look impressive in doing so. I'm glad that his squash match against Orange is behind him now, I'm digging him more and more.

I can only think of Hobbs and Serpentico. Who are the others?

I can't handle watching Sonny do that splits leg drop. He winces every time, and I worry about his knee popping out. 

4 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Abadon is another. 

Edited by Mr Harms

4 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Anna Jay and Abadon, although Anna Jay went months before she got a singles win (even though she was signed following the Shida match). Abadon wasn't signed until her debut on Dynamite, but immediately went on a 5 match winning streak.

I think Serpentico is the answer, even though it's not official that he or Will Hobbs has signed.

Great episode of Dark and I loved the crap out of that Starks/Carter main event.  I would not be against them signing Carter but I'm only going off of that match.  Not sure of what else to check out from him though I know he's been making the rounds.  And glad to see Will Hobbs "graduating" from jobber status into what he's doing now.  I sense some quality hoss battles in his future.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

And glad to see Will Hobbs "graduating" from jobber status into what he's doing now.  I sense some quality hoss battles in his future.

And a cool thing about it is, because of how he came up from jobber status, he can have that precious underdog aura despite being such a massive dude. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Great episode of Dark and I loved the crap out of that Starks/Carter main event.  I would not be against them signing Carter but I'm only going off of that match.  Not sure of what else to check out from him though I know he's been making the rounds.  

Im not a Carter expert, but I’ve been watching a lot of him lately since he’s been getting talked up in the biz.  This was the best match of his that I’ve seen.

For the most part, he’s a grad of Seth Rollins’s school...and wrestles exactly how you’d imagine a Rollins grad would.  Really athletic and everything looks crisp.  He’s still figuring out his identity in the ring, though. He does a lot of karaoke spots, some of which work and some don't (like the awful rapid chops in the corner on Dark). I’ve   seen him do that exact finish (frog splash for 2, missed Phoenix splash, eat a finish) in literally every match of his that I’ve watched.

Somebody is going to sign him soon, because he clearly has a lot of talent and nobody wants to have to say they missed out on him years from now, but I don’t think he’s ready for prime time just yet and, frankly, AEW doesn’t really need him right now.  I honestly think he’d be better off killing it on the Indies and overseas for another couple of years (whenever things open back up) and continuing to develop.

And the Indies need more guys like him to hang around and rejuvenate the scene, so it’s not all War Horse and Danhausen.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, EVA said:

For the most part, he’s a grad of Seth Rollins’s school...and wrestles exactly how you’d imagine a Rollins grad would.

Well, that's a shame.  Hopefully some time on the indies will help him out, especially when it comes to whatever formula he seems to have.

Re: Sonny/Janella-Jericho  

I think it's safe to say not all of Jericho's feuds will be as lengthy or meaningful as this recent OC feud.  I also don't expect Lionheart to lay down for either Sonny or Janela.  Considering the positions on the card (and the near future) - losing to either would be a mistake.  Jericho needs to get on a streak and be strong for the inevitable rematches with Mox and Kenny.  Sonny is a unique character with potential, but needs to shed some of the weak offense before being taken serious in any way.

Re: Will Hobbs

I've been impressed with Hobbs, but more for his potential.  I didn't think he looked all that great in this winning squash.  I like him using the Oklahoma Stampede, but he looked gassed up there.  He's got a lot of raw talent, but he also has a ways to go.  I hope and expect them to go nice and slow with Will.  No need for anything right now but reps on Dark. 

I also really liked that guy named Frank Stone from last week's tag against the Gunns.  I hope he gets another shot.   

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

According to that recent Jericho interview with SI, the Orange Cassidy feud was supposed to end after the first match.  The plan for All Out was for Jericho to do something with Mike Tyson, but he kept putting them off, so they kept extending the feud with Cassidy.  It wasn’t intended to be 14 WEEKS~!!! to begin with.

I'd enjoy seeing big Will Hobbs get elevated by a feud with Jericho. Not right now because Jericho just can't keep putting one person after another over, but build up both and setup some type of confrontation between them.

Also, I literally had no idea who Will Hobbs was until I saw him on a random Dark awhile ago and thought he moved extremely well for a guy that big and that I've never heard of.

Will Hobbs is a SoCal guy, so presumably he's travelling in on the same flights as the Bucks, SCU, Cage, Luchasaurus & Jungle Boy. Which might be politically beneficial for him.