DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2020

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, EVA said:

Also, Will Hobbs is graduating from squashee to squasher coming off his performance in the battle royale.

He's gotta be signed, I'm sure of it. Now I just need to make a sacrifice to the Demo God and maybe KiLynn King will be signed too.

--

• The most basic move in all of professional wrestling: the Canadian Destroyer.
  • "YOU WANNA FEUD? Okay."
  • Helen Hart, Luchasaurus' ex-girlfriend and the "original Canadian Destroyer".
  • Oh my god, Hangman ? Telling Cutler to tell the Bucks he's sorry and that they and FTR are right - he's a piece of shit ? And later... the Bucks don't care, don't want to hear about it.
  • SPANKIN' BARE BUTTS AND BALLS. John Silver & Alex Reynolds are without a doubt the MVPs of BTE now.
  • And as expected, Dark Order makes fun of WWE's banning of Twitch/Cameo. THIS IS NOT A DRILL: SINBAD HAS JOINED THE DARK ORDER. Anna Jay has murdered Griff Garrison!
  • And The Elite is seemingly split up - the Bucks say they have to worry about themselves, not the group, or Hangman, or Omega.
  • Like 6

Sinbad. Whoa. 

"Have fun with the body."

Wardlow's sex appeal being too much for Beaver Boys to handle ruled too. I like how Wardlow was cool with it rather than generic roid rage dude yelling at them. What a man. Can he get a big push now? That's what we're doing now, right? Elevating Wardlow?

Less cool are people trying to throw Reby under the bus because TK says Matt didn't suffer a concussion. 

• Like 3

I'm not going to shit on Matt's wife because she cares about her husband, but you can't ignore her past either though. She is a pretty big shit stirrer, but I think she's probably in the right on this one. I think the repercussions of Tony Khan lying about Matt's condition, from a PR standpoint, is way too great for him to actually do that, however.

Anyway - I too enjoyed the fact that Wardlow wasn't homophobic about Silver's flirting. That was nice. I think we're now in the build-up to Wardlow and MJF splitting, since MJF posted "fuck Wardlow" on Twitter after All Out.

EDIT: Also - clearly John Silver is a fan of I Think You Should Leave.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 4

I would bet a lot of the same people giving Reby a hard time about this were giving her the YAS QUEEN treatment back when she was tweeting “Fuck that owl” a few years ago.  Everybody loves an outspoken social media personality until the shoe is on the other foot.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 4

I think AEW is missing out big time if they don't do a recreation of the Kenny/Bucks/Cody storyline from BTE. 

Fantasy booking time...Page and Kenny get a rematch against FTR at some point soon. Kenny turns on Page during the match and joins FTR to form Revelation. A week or two goes by, Kenny shuns the Bucks, as Dynamite is ending we go to the back and see a camera walking to the Bucks dressing room. The door opens, you see the Bucks, they kinda nod, the camera turns, and it's Hangman. He comes in, the door closes, and that's the cliffhanger for the next week. 

Reby seems like she has some asshole tendencies, mostly thinking about her reaction to Ashley Massaro's death. But she's valid in her criticism here. Matt returned home via car instead of flying. He's obviously not well and Tony trying to avoid legal matters by saying everything is peachy sucks. 

• Thanks 1

Can somebody clarify this Matt Hardy, wife Reby, Tony Khan situation?  Yesterday on here, I saw a '1000% concussion' post from Reby about mid-day.  Followed a few hours later by Khan's (simplifying here) 'he's been released from the hospital and is fine'.  

• Like 1

Some people believe Reby, some people believe Tony Khan. You basically outlined it pretty well. Reby is also liking stuff on Twitter that says Tony Khan is lying about the entire situation. I don't want to shit on Reby, because I'd be in her position too if my spouse got injured and the company was supposedly lying about it. But I also don't think Tony Khan would publicly lie about it either, but I'm also hesitant to defend a billionaire family that's involved in an American specific sport that's concussion city.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I'm not going to shit on Matt's wife because she cares about her husband, but you can't ignore her past either though. She is a pretty big shit stirrer, but I think she's probably in the right on this one. I think the repercussions of Tony Khan lying about Matt's condition, from a PR standpoint, is way too great for him to actually do that, however.

Anyway - I too enjoyed the fact that Wardlow wasn't homophobic about Silver's flirting. That was nice. I think we're now in the build-up to Wardlow and MJF splitting, since MJF posted "fuck Wardlow" on Twitter after All Out.

EDIT: Also - clearly John Silver is a fan of I Think You Should Leave.

I want to give Tony Khan the benefit of the doubt here, but he's still a promoter at the end of the day. 

• Like 1

Thank you @Casey for the clarification.  

I can't say I never saw potential in Silver and Reynolds, but I'm still a little surprised to find myself clamouring for their elevation.  I say this not as a big fan of their BTE stuff (which is fine), but rather their recent performances.  I especially liked their should've been the finish sequences against the Privates on the weekend.  I really dig their combo moves, and Silver in particular has really been shining lately.  Tho, maybe it's just me now noticing him after seeing that Warhorse match a few weeks back.  Anyway, looking forward to their eventual rise and potential long competitive feud with Uno/Grayson.  

2 hours ago, Casey said:

He's gotta be signed, I'm sure of it.

Yeah, as I said in the All Out Thread:

On 9/5/2020 at 11:00 PM, The Green Meanie said:

Kudos to Will Hobbs for the huuuuge push he got tonight being in that battle royal.

I'm hoping he is also, he's got a great look and story. He's also in a local talent vs. local talent match on this week's Dark, so here's hoping he becomes #5 to get a win.

• Like 2

I think most people will disagree with me but for me personally I would like to see Tony and Taz as the main commentary team.  JR had started improving from the early episodes of Dynamite but he was really bad at All Out and now it's gotten to the point where he's had to apologize a couple times for saying dirty old man stuff.. it might be time to retire. 

However,  I would not mind JR doing sit down interviews with people.  I think he could still fill that role.  

Now on to Excalibur. I was never a big fan of Mike Tenay as the lead PBP and Excalibur gives off those same vibes for me. He's good on color and he knows more than any of them but I think he'd fit better as the color or as the lead guy for AEW Dark.  That's a good place to put over the young talent and their career up to that point.  

Tony should be doing the lead PBP he is by far the best guy they have to fill that role.  I would choose Taz as the color over Excalibur because he can be a heel commentator but also put over the talent and that's a dynamic that is missing. 

Edit:  I get Tony is doing PBP but Excalibur and JR were talking over him on All Out and Excalibur was calling the action a lot of the time. That should be Tony's role period. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 2

No, it shouldn't be the lapsed fan's role to be pbp for a company that is built around modern, indie wrestling style brought to the national scene. Tony doesn't know enough to be PBP and that's not currently his job. It's Excalibur's, as much as it pains some to hear. JR cut him off in a really dickish way a couple of times on the PPV from what I've seen, most notably when Rosa had Shida in an arm submission and Ex was trying to describe it. JR cut him off with "WHATEVER SHE'S DOING IT HURTS AND SHE'S GOING FOR A SUBMISSION TO WIN THE TITLE," like he had a Vince McMahon on the headset knee jerk reaction. It was really unprofessional even if Ex had an off night (they all did). It felt like there was a lot of animosity between the three of them and it didn't help an already struggling show. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Casey said:

Some people believe Reby, some people believe Tony Khan. You basically outlined it pretty well. Reby is also liking stuff on Twitter that says Tony Khan is lying about the entire situation. I don't want to shit on Reby, because I'd be in her position too if my spouse got injured and the company was supposedly lying about it. But I also don't think Tony Khan would publicly lie about it either, but I'm also hesitant to defend a billionaire family that's involved in an American specific sport that's concussion city.

Truth is probably in the middle I think, they don't have 100% proof he has a concussion, but enough evidence to believe he has one and to be safe (now) about it, especially given the PR hit they've taken, and deservedly so.  

Reby's very protective of Matt (and rightfully so, don't fault her for that at all!), so you can't trust what she's saying 100%.   I also think AEW knows they screwed up and are doing damage control- which is ok if that means they are more careful in the future.  I'd rather them learn the lesson this way than something worse (even if shouldn't have to be learned).  

AEW definitely used up a good bit of their "goodwill reservoir" with this show.   They can't afford another screwup of this magnitude for a year or so at least.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jiji said:

No, it shouldn't be the lapsed fan's role to be pbp for a company that is built around modern, indie wrestling style brought to the national scene. Tony doesn't know enough to be PBP and that's not currently his job. It's Excalibur's, as much as it pains some to hear. 

The lead PBP for a national wrestling promotion should be the guy who is best at doing PBP and that is Tony Schiavone. It doesn't "pain me" to hear that people like Excalibur and think he's the guy for the job,  I like him but I don't feel he is as good in the role as Tony and honestly I don't think it's close. 

When he is explaining a move and it's effect on a body part that is color commentary,  he's good..  Tony should be calling the action. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 2

Tony was a great PBP guy in the 90s, when he knew all the moves. But there's plenty of moves now he just doesn't know, or gets wrong. Watch the episodes of Dark while Excalibur was off, a guy hits a Death Valley Driver and Tony shouts Canadian Destroyer.

10 hours ago, Jiji said:

No, it shouldn't be the lapsed fan's role to be pbp for a company that is built around modern, indie wrestling style brought to the national scene. Tony doesn't know enough to be PBP and that's not currently his job. It's Excalibur's, as much as it pains some to hear. JR cut him off in a really dickish way a couple of times on the PPV from what I've seen, most notably when Rosa had Shida in an arm submission and Ex was trying to describe it. JR cut him off with "WHATEVER SHE'S DOING IT HURTS AND SHE'S GOING FOR A SUBMISSION TO WIN THE TITLE," like he had a Vince McMahon on the headset knee jerk reaction. It was really unprofessional even if Ex had an off night (they all did). It felt like there was a lot of animosity between the three of them and it didn't help an already struggling show. 

I think working for Vince ruined JR as an announcer.  He took on so many bad traits and never shook them.  We've covered the sexism to death already.  We've gone over the toilet humor a little.  But you bring up another good one: oversimplification.  Vince has his commentators do everything at like a 2 on a complexity scale of 1-10.  No suplexes, only "throws."  No armbars, only "submissions."  Pretty fitting coming from the "whattamaneuver" guy.  It's sad because I feel like JR is from a background where wrestling should be treated as and called like a sport, but now he's this guy who treats the PBP guy like he's a nerd for calling moves. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

I think it says alot about AEW that we are getting a record amount of programming over an 8 day period (Dynamite, Dark, PPV, Dark, Dynamite) and other than the PPV dragging a little and the Hardy incident that cast a shadow over the remainder of the show, I dont consider it "too much AEW", compared to the Summerslam/Payback week which was a slog to get through.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I think it says alot about AEW that we are getting a record amount of programming over an 8 day period (Dynamite, Dark, PPV, Dark, Dynamite) and other than the PPV dragging a little and the Hardy incident that cast a shadow over the remainder of the show, I dont consider it "too much AEW", compared to the Summerslam/Payback week which was a slog to get through.

Honestly, AEW has done a great job generally of building a roster that isn't that top heavy, which I think helps. Obviously Jericho is a very big star, but generally they've got a plethora of guys in the midcard that at least have one thing going for them, and it makes ingesting large amounts of their content in a short time quite tolerable. it's just really rare AEW puts something on screen that I see no entertainment value at all in.

• Like 2