DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2020

Dolfan in NYC

On 9/5/2020 at 1:36 PM, Godfrey said:

It’s an issue because outside of the world and tag titles, this match has had the best build of the ppv (and I’d put it over some of MJF’s promos tbh) and it’s a cinematic match and it’s one of only two women’s matches where as, say, Bucks/Jurassic Express was booked this week and could easily be a Dynamite main event (or not even that). Regardless of what you may think of the match quality, putting Baker/Swole on the Buy In devalues it, and this is a company that’s still trying to build its women’s division. Put the Dark Order 8-man on the pre-show, unless you think Matt Cardona is bringing the buys.

I understand the logic of having Swole/Brit on the PPV due to it's build, but Baker isn't even able to fully compete in the ring.  Further, match quality or let's call it segment quality does matter when I'm asked to spend $50.  I also appreciate a well timed 3 hour show as opposed to anything over it.  But that's more an issue of my threshold.  I don't think we need to fill a quota for women's matches at this point in time other than having a title match.   

I also get how Bucks/Jurrassix had less build.  Tho I'm not invested in any way, the Bucks always have a shot at stealing the show.  Especially with Jungle Boy in the mix.  And Luchasauraus has been pretty consistently strong over the past month or so.  I can't imagine you would get too many ppl that would say they'd rather pay a percentage of their PPV fund to Swole/Britt's cinematic dentist match than this tag.  Same for the Dark Order 8 man; which I do expect to be terrific fun.  

It's probably a better idea not putting Swole/Baker on the buy in however.  It's a pretty silly buy in formula thus far  - putting low quality (some of the worst in their short history) matches to sell a higher quality PPV.  To me, the Buy In should have minor angle stuff and good promos.  And if a match happens make it two young hungry guys or gals not on the show having a cold match that has the potential to be something special.  (*goes Over the Top Sly style on the fantasy booking hat) How bout a singles match featuring any of these names: Tay Conti, Kilynn King, Abadon, Ivelisse, Swole II and Serena Deeb?  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

Or a Trios match with all six of them?

On Friday Dark, Peter Avalon challenged Brandon Cutler to a singles match, and Cutler accepted. If they put that on the Buy-In, I'd call it a good decision. In his promo, Avalon also talked about how he was a star maker, and how ten years ago he made some Texas Millionaire's nephew famous. So him being the former Norv Fernham is now sort of acknowledged.

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I understand the logic of having Swole/Brit on the PPV due to it's build, but Baker isn't even able to fully compete in the ring.  Further, match quality or let's call it segment quality does matter when I'm asked to spend $50.  I also appreciate a well timed 3 hour show as opposed to anything over it.  But that's more an issue of my threshold.  I don't think we need to fill a quota for women's matches at this point in time other than having a title match.

Then I just trust them to have a good match more than you. Britt’s injury isn’t news, they’ve had time to figure this out and especially now that it’s a cinematic match I think they can pull it off. We’ll see tonight! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Half the match is going to be shouting stuff and making faces at each other at least. 

Now there's quote that would work in multiple contexts.

On 9/5/2020 at 10:48 PM, twiztor said:

what is this a reference to?

EC3's Impact debut was on PPV against Norv Fernum. Then he gave him a rematch on TV a few days later to pad his record show everyone what a nice guy he was. This is that rematch.

• Thanks 1

Dark tomorrow has Ricky Starks vs. Ben Carter (getting a tryout, as assumed when he showed up in the crowd at the PPV).

Also, Will Hobbs is graduating from squashee to squasher coming off his performance in the battle royale.

• Like 4