DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Iconoclastic - 8/31/2020

Dolfan in NYC

i did enjoy the joke on Twitter about seeing Blossom in the RAW Underground was a dark and unexpected turn

I am catching up on RAW and I really can't tell if this Demi Burnett is really stupid or just plays really stupid very well.   At times she is making Lana look like a Mensa student

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Eivion said:

I didn't hate Retribution's attacks this time due to Garza getting the hell out of dodge. That said, this shit just feels like its dragging at this point with so little direction.

Last week I did a watch of WCW's big 1990 shows (PPV's and Clashes), which means I got to see the whole Black Scorpion thing play out from start to finish.

While the aesthetic is overall different, seeing the Black Scorpion play out in a manner that made it obvious that there was no actual end game for the Scorpion reveal when it started, I'm really starting to get the same vibe from the Retribution thing. Would anyone be surprised if it came out that WWE currently didn't have an actual reveal or end game planned yet?

1 hour ago, clintthecrippler said:

Last week I did a watch of WCW's big 1990 shows (PPV's and Clashes), which means I got to see the whole Black Scorpion thing play out from start to finish.

While the aesthetic is overall different, seeing the Black Scorpion play out in a manner that made it obvious that there was no actual end game for the Scorpion reveal when it started, I'm really starting to get the same vibe from the Retribution thing. Would anyone be surprised if it came out that WWE currently didn't have an actual reveal or end game planned yet?

A fun what if is imagining any of the rumor3d candidates Warrior, Jake, ... had actually been the Scorpion.

5 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Probably true.  Ole claims that he suggested the Black Scorpion angle to Jim Herd as a joke because Herd kept shooting down his (Ole's) serious booking suggestions.  In a 1990 issue of the Observer, Dave said he believed that the Scorpion was always going to be the Scorpion.

I think that, if it wasn't Flair, the Scorpion would have been the Angel of Death (from UWF).  That might have flopped worse than Flair (I feel like the Angel of Death would have pulled off the mask and most of the crowd would have thought "Who's that?")

So, at this point, is there ANY payoff that can come to the retribution story that makes this worthwhile? I've seen names thrown around like Dijakovic, Mia Yim, Chelsea Green, Dio Madden and can't help but think....so? I like all those people but if they are under the hoods then who the hell even cares?

When one of them speared a guy during an attack a few weeks ago, had the thought that Roman in charge of them could be interesting but that is clearly out the window. Sami Zayn continuing his "Liberator" shtick with a group of goons to do his bidding to right the wrongs he sees in WWE could be interesting but he seems to be tied up with Jeff Hardy(not that I'm complaining about that).

These geeks attack people, they start to chase down Garza and the blonde and.....we don't see anything else? It's clear there is no real plan and we are not advancing the story at all. You want me to give even a little bit of a shit at this point, you got to give me SOMETHING. Otherwise I don't think anyone would complain if these fools went back to Poochie's home planet and were never seen again

I don't remember too many payoffs that were making storylines in the 'E worthwhile, not recently. 

Rey vs Seth feud (since getting his eye gouged out and returning with an eyepatch on his mask does Rey wrestle any differently than before losing the eye?)

Charlotte beat Rhea, but theres more to this story says H. Nope, no there hasn't. She kinda reminds me of Kofi, shrugs off losing the belt and becomes just another wrestler 

Even before the pandemic, there's other examples. 

Like Kofi losing the belt. No payoff, just another "happy to entertain the fans" guy like he didn't hold the belt for months 

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

A fun what if is imagining any of the rumor3d candidates Warrior, Jake, ... had actually been the Scorpion.

Another one is if Al Perez didn't quit. I mean, at least Flair was Flair. Al Perez's only fan was probably Gary Hart, and even they had a rough patch. 

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Another one is if Al Perez didn't quit. I mean, at least Flair was Flair. Al Perez's only fan was probably Gary Hart, and even they had a rough patch. 

I still love the batshit story Hart told about Perez' plan to shoot on Flair and take the title in front of the mostly Hispanic audience in South Florida.

The more I think about it the more I hate the fact that they split up the IIconics.  Peyton will be fine but I worry for Billy Kay who I feel will barely be used much anymore if at all.  Odds are she'll be off TV within a month if not sooner.  And looking at that reaction video plus their Instagram posts (quoted in Observer's Daily Update page) it seems to have really messed them up.  It's a shame because I'll still maintain that if you gave them a sitcom-type show they would have been fantastic.  They could have given them a few minutes on a show to do that and I bet it would have taken off.  If not that then I'm sure there's many other ways they could have tapped into some comedy gold.  But instead they had them off TV for bit, made them more serious and got broken up for their troubles.  It just feels very, very wrong to me.

• Like 5

On 9/2/2020 at 9:11 AM, Curt McGirt said:

I'm a little bit of an Al Perez fan, but only know him for his short and rather uneventful stint as a slightly above a jobber, but below an actual JTTS on '89-'90 WWF. That release giant wing -move he got to do on a Conquistador on Prime Time, was a cool-ass finisher, but that's probably way beside the point.

Just saying it Gary Hart and me, if only for a little bit.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Man, maybe I somehow missed it this whole time, but how long has Keith Lee been doing the Tour of the Islands?

I'm sure he has been doing it longer, but I only noticed him doing it when he moved up to Raw these past two weeks.