DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING GIFS

1 hour ago, clintthecrippler said:

Yup. Its on the Attitude Era: Unreleased DVD Set that came out a few years back. 

How bizarre was that to not feature your champ and have him do a dark match?

Speaking of those two; has anyone ever seen any of their summer of '96 hoise show feud? I know they had a couple ladder matches. I wonder how well they were. 

Edited by PetrolCB

9 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

How bizarre was that to not feature your champ and have him do a dark match?

Speaking of those two; has anyone ever seen any of their summer of '96 hoise show feud? I know they had a couple ladder matches. I wonder how well they were. 

One is very good because it’s not worked like a ladder match but like a match that just happens to have a ladder to escalate the violence when warranted.

Spoiler

Here's what I wrote about it in 2013:

I can see why this match is slept upon. The term "ladder match" creates a certain set of expectations, and those expectations were even more prevalent a few years ago. In this match the craziest bump has nothing to do with the ladder and there's only one real jump off of it. The first half of the match, the ladder doesn't even come into play. It's still really good though, and in some ways more structured and better than most ladder matches.

Michaels' intensity in the beginning is great. I've seen very little WWF in 96, actually, so I'm not sure if he started most of his matches with that or not. He has this brutal looking chairshot early on when Goldust is going for the ladder the first time, which sort of explains why the ladder doesn't play much of a role for the first half of the match (as Dustin paid bigtime for trying to get it too early). Dustin's punches and general offense look great. Michaels bumps big for him, including one crazy no-hands catapult over the top rope. When the ladder comes into play it's mainly just a prop that Dustin uses to enhance his attack on Michaels' back and he finds smart ways to use it that aren't all that dangerous but look really good.

The teases of the finishers are fun for the time. One transition where Goldust sidesteps a roll up in the corner is actually pretty neat. They do a good job at cutting off comebacks and timing everything well. I wish Shawn didn't do this floatover out of a move (twice Curtain call, once slam, once suplex) as a reversal. Three times sort of worked and led into the finish. Four times frustrated me. It's a fancam and cuts now and again towards the end but it's minimal and you can generally figure out what little bits you missed with ease (though at one point Shawn gets his foot stuck in the rope and I kind of wish what happened immediately thereafter had been retained).

Edited by Matt D

Looking at the recent French Catch gifs it astounds me how for all this talk about a generational divide there's evidence like this that blow it out the water.  It's really amazing to see.  I still remember freaking out over seeing a Tombstone in I believe '59.  All this talk about who invented it for the longest time and turns out most people don't know.  It kind of makes me wonder if we're seeing this in '59 how common a move was it?  Was it one guy using it in his matches or were a few having a go of it.  And it also makes me wonder if there's even earlier examples either in French Catch or elsewhere.  Just really neat stuff to think about.

Also, @Matt DI have a feeling Hero knows about this but have any other wrestlers said anything about this era?  It's been a hidden gem for so long that if I was a wrestler in 2020 trying to bring something fresh I'd consider some of the stuff we see here.

24 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Looking at the recent French Catch gifs it astounds me how for all this talk about a generational divide there's evidence like this that blow it out the water.  It's really amazing to see.  I still remember freaking out over seeing a Tombstone in I believe '59.  All this talk about who invented it for the longest time and turns out most people don't know.  It kind of makes me wonder if we're seeing this in '59 how common a move was it?  Was it one guy using it in his matches or were a few having a go of it.  And it also makes me wonder if there's even earlier examples either in French Catch or elsewhere.  Just really neat stuff to think about.

Also, @Matt DI have a feeling Hero knows about this but have any other wrestlers said anything about this era?  It's been a hidden gem for so long that if I was a wrestler in 2020 trying to bring something fresh I'd consider some of the stuff we see here.

We've seen enough and enough on an almost weekly basis, plus there's some great research that has been done by guys like Phil Lions, that we can actually answer some of those questions to some degree. For instance, I don't think I've seen anyone but 1-2 guys (primarily Gastel) use the Tombstone in 1950s France. What you'll see a lot of, is the stylistic stuff, the long, long hanging on to holds. There was one big that really raised flags for me, where, two weeks in a row, a different set of wrestlers did the same sort of in and out of a bodyscissors sequence, where they entered into the sequence the same way out of someone trying to break a bridge with their knees and then worked a spot in the middle with rope running where one wrestler caught the other back into the bodyscissors off the ropes. That, to me, almost felt like someone got the idea and it was tried in multiple matches. Some things like the couronne (sp) which is that up and over (sometimes with a headscissors, sometimes not) out of an armlock, which you can see jammed in the gif up above, was in almost every technical match and occasionally, guys you wouldn't expect to be able to do it like the huge King Kong Taverne would manage it. There are definitely things that only one wrestler, that we've seen, would do however, and often times those were the things that could end a fall, though sometimes, they absolutely weren't and were just moves. Selling was its own thing in 50s France. There were momentum shifts and there could be a short bodypart focus, but i don't think it was as calcified as it might be later on. There was still an element of sport to it where someone might take a few minutes and then play on the defensive for a few minutes. My understanding is that we get more and more gimmicks as we get into the 60s and there could be more of a shine-heat-comeback element once we do. It's not that we never see matches like that but most matches run 20+ minutes so it's all a little more involved and complex. But yes, there are moves that would be considered more "trademark" if not finishers. Inca Peruano had a sort of roll up/cradle almost no one else did. Drapp had the Shiranui. Kaiser had the dragon sleeper. Mercier had sort of a bridging fallaway slam. Jo Labat had the cool shoulder blast strike. And so on.

As for wrestlers, there are a few indy wrestlers who get fed the gifs by someone on twitter and now and again, I'll see someone saying they're eager to use something they've seen once COVID is over, etc. Which is neat. I don't think I've seen more buzz from other well known people though. Honestly, maybe the most rewarding thing of all of this was when the families of the wrestlers get their hands on the footage. I have to check back with Pellacani's grandkid because he was going to give his dad the three matches we had for his birthday in August. I know that Bert Royal (he of the Tony Oliver match) is 90 or so and he was given the two matches of his we have (one where he's teaming with his dad! and really appreciated them). Or Tommy Mann's kid got to see his dad wrestler for the first time as there's no other footage that existed. That sort of thing. It's very cool.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:
Orihara don't give a fuck about your neck

Orihara might have been more dangerous than anyone Sakuraba faced in shoot fight.  That piledriver looks nasty and the "missile kick" in the first gif looks more like Orihara sloppily jumping Sakuraba's head.

• Like 2

Just now, Eoae said:

Orihara might have been more dangerous than anyone Sakuraba faced in shoot fight.  That piledriver looks nasty and the "missile kick" in the first gif looks more like Orihara sloppily jumping Sakuraba's head.

Mmm, Wanderlei Silva would probably have something to say about that.

• Like 2

Was latter day Orihara as super dangerous and reckless as younger Orihara? Seems like he's dropping somebody on their head and neck as well as kicking them way too hard in the head every time I see a younger Orihara match. 

I marked off way too many points I wanted to get gifs from Israel vs Rabut:

This escape is great:

OMKqwQ.gif

The handstand rana here is something else. The camera can't even follow it:

WLVmDn.gif

Israel has a lot of cool entrances into moves. I like how he sort of does three movements to get what he needs here. There's a sense of working for it or chess or something:

1WLQ8G.gif

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Was latter day Orihara as super dangerous and reckless as younger Orihara? Seems like he's dropping somebody on their head and neck as well as kicking them way too hard in the head every time I see a younger Orihara match. 

I haven't seen a ton of Orihara matches but I think he was mostly just sloppy and it never really got better. I've seen him nearly brain himself on his titular moonsault more than once.

People seem more into these standing dropkicks than I am, but this one? The poor jerk's face!

OMKLPg.gif

I don't think I've ever seen this escape from a headlock into a pin like this. Look at how he throws his body into it:

WLVpQW.gif

The camera angle doesn't do us favors here but you can see what's happened and it's really sleek:

1WLEG3.gif

• Like 3

On 9/11/2020 at 1:45 AM, cwoy2j said:

Buff was the king of corner cam trash talk and posing.

264WPza.gif?noredirect

I loved it when in the match vs Scotty Riggs from Uncensored'97, he was backing into the corner sitting down, when the ref was admonishing him and said "OK! Sorry! I'M SORRY!" Then, as the ref backed off, Buff looked at the camera, shook his head and said "I'm not really sorry!" That was just next level awesome!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shartnado said:

I loved it when in the match vs Scotty Riggs from Uncensored'97, he was backing into the corner sitting down, when the ref was admonishing him and said "OK! Sorry! I'M SORRY!" Then, as the ref backed off, Buff looked at the camera, shook his head and said "I'm not really sorry!" That was just next level awesome!

That's actually the gif I was trying to find but it never came up. The one I posted was the best one I could find.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

oWMZOcN.gif

Okay, someone has to give me the context for this. Did they just go out and decide to take the piss? 

I was looking for a gif of the old clip of Sandman getting a ladder slammed into his head that we've all seen a thousand times but it appears there isn't one

It looks like someone was on the table that Raven went through but moved.