DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING PICTURES

2 minutes ago, bazzil said:

What drew more than 10,000 in 93? Those lucha shows?

Yep, the AAA/IWC shows in Los Angeles. However, When Worlds Collide was in November 94. They did a TV taping in November 93, another taping with Konnan vs. Jake on top in a cage in January 94, and another show in August 94 before When Worlds Collide in November 94. They did some shows in San Jose and Chicago and some other places around that time, but I don't think they beat 10,000.

9 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I presume they mean in the US, since CMLL has drawn 10,000+ since then. Usually for the Anniversary shows. 

I think it's understood it's the United States since that's the home base for both WCW and WWF.

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

A lot of times people will write "in North America," forgetting that includes Mexico and they really mean US/Canada. 

With no disclaimer, in that tweet, id read it as "anywhere." 

Jacques Rougeau's retirement show drew almost 17k in Montreal in 1994 even if you take out AAA and CMLL of the North American discussion. Puerto Rico also had some big crowds during their resurgence period 15+ years ago. When Meltzer usually discusses it, he puts the United States as the qualifier. I don't think SMW beat 4,000 and I think ECW topped out at 6,000. So unless there was a retirement show or some USWA/late Memphis show I'm forgetting, the answer for the lower 48 + Alaska and Hawaii are the AAA/IWC shows before the peso collapse.

The only other candidate might be those random lucha shows in the US in places like Atlanta or Denver that go under the radar. But I don't think any of those have broken 10,000. 

I think the last big show (sellout) in Memphis was in 86 or 87. Memory says it might be the lawler/dutch vs bill/buddy 26 falls match. 

20 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

The only other candidate might be those random lucha shows in the US in places like Atlanta or Denver that go under the radar. But I don't think any of those have broken 10,000. 

I think the last big show (sellout) in Memphis was in 86 or 87. Memory says it might be the lawler/dutch vs bill/buddy 26 falls match. 

There was a show at the Great Western Forum in 2005 promoted by the late Supreme for a promotion called FCW with some SoCal indy guys (Supreme was also on the card) and with a bunch of lucha stars on top that did 5,000. The shows you're talking about probably topped out at a couple thousand...maybe 3,000 max. 

Wrestlingdata.com has a Mid-South Coliseum show from 2004 with Lawler and Jimmy Hart vs. Terry Funk and Cory Maclin (lol probably for the rights to the Memphis tape library) on top doing 5,000 after years of drawing very little. There was an indie show at the FedEx Forum in 2007 that did 6,000. Check out this peach of a card:

1 Moondog Cujo defeated The Barbarian
2 Greg Valentine defeated Mr. Hughes
3 3-Way Match
Jazz defeated Christie Ricci and Miss Passion
4 Abdullah the Butcher vs. Al Green ended without a winner as a no contest
5 Bill Dundee and Dutch Mantell defeated New Wave (Koko B. Ware and Bobby Eaton)
6 Brutus Beefcake and Bubba the Love Sponge defeated Assassin #1 and Assassin #2
7 Brian Christopher defeated Buff Bagwell
8 MCW Tag Team Titles Match
Ricky Morton and Kid Kash defeated Too Cool #2 (Flex and Tim Grind) (c) - TITLE CHANGE!!!
9 Hulk Hogan defeated Paul Wight
Average age of the wrestlers: 46.3 years

And oh, I looked up the show @Death From Above referenced the other day in relation to footage Roy Lucier posted on his Youtube channel. Look at the footnote...oof.

CMLL, IWC (SAT) 11/25/1995 LA Sports Arena, Los Angeles, California [RB, WON 1995-12-04]
Attendance: 4446
1) Migra I & Migra II b Mexican Blanco & Súper Diablo
** 1/4. Trainees from APW.
2) Brazo de Oro, Brazo de Plata, El Brazo b Apolo Dantés, Pirata Morgan, Satánico
** 1/4.
3) Silver King & Vampiro DQ Head Hunter I & Head Hunter II Silver King/Vampiro vs Los Head Hunters I y II - 11/25/95 (posted by Rob Viper)
***1/4. Head Hunters had already lost the CMLL TAG belts, but CMLL had told IWC they'd get them back by this time so the match was promoted as a title match. Hunters did not win the belts back, but brought him to the ring and this was presented as a title match. Silver & Vampiro won by DQ (foul), so were announced as new champions.
4) Atlantis, Héctor Garza, Pantera b Eddy Guerrero, Emilio Charles Jr., Felino Atlantis/Hector Garza/Pantera vs Eddy Guerrero/Emilio Charles Jr./Felino - 11/25/95 (posted by Rob Viper)
***3/4
5) Máscara Año 2000 b Rayo de Jalisco Jr. [IWC Heavy]
DUD. Mascara kept the title.
6) El Hijo Del Santo b Negro Casas El Hijo Del Santo vs Negro Casas - 11/25/95 (posted by Rob Viper)
***. Promoted as an I quit match. Instead, was announced to be a one fall match - then changed to a three fall match 8 minutes into the match. Casas won the first fall with a foul, but Eddie Guerrero (Negro's second) told the ref what happened and turned tecnico (to match up with WCW.) Ref gave the fall to Santo. Santo and Negro did what are usually post match challenges for a hair vs mask match, then did a 10 second second fall with Santo winning.

Event Notes: 4446 attended, 2958 paid, money losing show.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

There's something humorous about Tully in the background ...

"Back in my day we didn't pose for stupid photos at wedding receptions. We just drank beer and laughed at Ric getting drunk and making a fool of himself. Hey, did I tell you about that time Ric got drink and made a fool of himself?"

• Like 4