Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Vgmastr said:

Lots of guys have been on Twitch all week, so if the meeting happened on Sunday, not sure how true that is. 

EhGYtvPWoAMYWd2?format=jpg&name=small

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like Bix looked at the contract language. Contracts say wrestlers should ask for permission before doing anything and WWE gets a 10% fee. Folks probably stopped asking whether they could do it and WWE has caught wind of it. That's a bit more understandable, but being draconian about it isn't ever going to be a good look.

There was a rumor going around a while ago about WWE wanting to do a PR/talent agency sort of setup to match wrestlers with promotional gigs. They do that already to a degree, but this was supposed to be a more formal arrangement. If they've got wrestlers making money from outside sources without their approval, that muddies the waters. Not to mention their bigger stars already have signed to legit management firms to start building their non-WWE careers. So they're trying to stop the rest of the roster before it goes too far. Again, not the look they should strive for. Especially when many are missing a big chunk of income because house shows are gone and likely won't come back in any serious capacity.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 Sounds like they're going more kayfabe to me and isolationist. Are Youtube and Twitter extempt from this? If they own the likeness of contracted wrestlers or revise the contracts or implement new rules, they can do this new policy.

Talent have 30 days to comply.

The real reason they gave or/and give wrestlers new WWE names because their real or previous names would be worth less when released.

Edited by D.Z
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

What's the best Fat Fuck Barrel Boy match?

Dig through the Wrestling Machine vs Wrestling Machine thread. There are a few of them in there. 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

EhGh6-UXgAEjT0J?format=jpg&name=large

516 reviews. And presumably that's less than half of the people who've actually bought one. $125 a time (with Cameo keeping 25% and kicking the other 75% to E)... his joke about how he Wrestles on the side to support his Cameo career might not have been a joke.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AxB said:

EhGh6-UXgAEjT0J?format=jpg&name=large

516 reviews. And presumably that's less than half of the people who've actually bought one. $125 a time (with Cameo keeping 25% and kicking the other 75% to E)... his joke about how he Wrestles on the side to support his Cameo career might not have been a joke.

Big E has claimed that he's done about 1200 on the New Day podcast, so much so that he does them while at tv tapings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

 

 

I can't be the only person thinking in the beginning when people like Sasha was having fans pay 300 to $400 plus for a cameo that WWE was gonna try to get in on it.

When I has a kid and this was around, I wouldn't bother asking my parents for a cameo. Not for those prices but hey, there's obviously a market for it. I'm all for WWE Superstars  having projects and deals outside of WWE while under contract. I feel like certain endeavors can help guys get more mainstream credibility and possibly the company as well.

We've all heard stories of certain companies wanting to business with  talent only for Vince to turn it down because its not the talent he wants. Like Shelton Benjamin and UnderArmour around 04-05, it probably could've been a difference maker in him getting over especially in his presentation as a sportsman.

I know people think Peter Rosenberg is a cornball mark but wasn't he the one that got WWE talent Footlocker merchandise?  People like he and Wale have advocated for talent to get deals with different fashion companies and such much like the Ball Player and Rappers. Its a bigger part of NBA and NFLs branding than people realize. It could help WWE as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Off the top of my head (or my follow list), that's... Orton, AJ, Woods, Breeze, Cole, Baszler, Kai, Paige, Yim, Black & Vega, Cesaro...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Raziel said:

Off the top of my head (or my follow list), that's... Orton, AJ, Woods, Breeze, Cole, Baszler, Kai, Paige, Yim, Black & Vega, Cesaro...

Asuka's Kana Chan TV and Sheamus Celtic Warrior Workout on YT.

Edited by The Natural
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Octopus said:

Dig through the Wrestling Machine vs Wrestling Machine thread. There are a few of them in there. 

If I wanted Wrestling Machine matches, I'd have asked for Evil Dead matches.

 

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Because when I hire a plumber I definitely own the rights to his real name 🙄

WWE is the most miserable environment in the professional wrestling industry. I hope this is the one that gets them to unionize. But it wont. Because they never do. Next Vince is gonna own 10% of all contracted talent's children's lifetime earnings.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the work around for the wrestlers on Twitch and Cameo is that they have to remove anything WWE related including their WWE name.  Most everyone have been changing their Twitch screen names to their real names.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Looks like the work around for the wrestlers on Twitch and Cameo is that they have to remove anything WWE related including their WWE name.  Most everyone have been changing their Twitch screen names to their real names.

Not sure if you saw, but WWE is claiming they own contracted talent's real names now too. The reason they are saying that is to force this loophole closed. Hence why there's a big swell of Fuck Vince posts today. They gave contracted talents 30 days to comply or be fined / suspended / fired.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Looks like the work around for the wrestlers on Twitch and Cameo is that they have to remove anything WWE related including their WWE name.  Most everyone have been changing their Twitch screen names to their real names.

I watched Sasha on Dvon Duddleys podcast today and her real name showed up on the screen so, I guess you're right 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Not sure if you saw, but WWE is claiming they own contracted talent's real names now too. The reason they are saying that is to force this loophole closed. Hence why there's a big swell of Fuck Vince posts today. They gave contracted talents 30 days to comply or be fined / suspended / fired.

The "own real names" part has been disputed.

 

Edited by nofuture
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eivion said:

AoP's release disappoints me. There really isn't an excuse for finding nothing for them save when they were injured. Really hope they end up somewhere like NJPW.

To be fair, they were injured most of their time on the main roster.

3 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Caveat: Not a lawyer. But if that they could make that shit about the names stick in court, your legal system is way more fucked than even I can grasp. 

I am a lawyer, and at first glance I see essentially no way that could hold up, especially while claiming the roster is made up of independent contractors.  I’m not surprised this has been disputed.

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

Big E has claimed that he's done about 1200 on the New Day podcast, so much so that he does them while at tv tapings.

So again, as a lawyer, I do see more basis for banning them from doing these at tapings and using their WWE-owned names. Fuck Vince and all, but if they’re profiting off WWE intellectual property then WWE has a right to tell them to knock it off.

Banning people from using their real names on Cameo, Twitch, et al. is absolutely an invitation to challenge their status as independent contractors though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I am a lawyer, and at first glance I see essentially no way that could hold up, especially while claiming the roster is made up of independent contractors.  I’m not surprised this has been disputed.

Yeah, there's talk that a bunch of people reached out to Sean Ross Sapp disputing this. I've got to assume there was a misunderstanding on behalf of someone, because even by WWE standards that's fucked up and makes no sense whatsoever. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2020 at 5:31 AM, cwoy2j said:

Del Wilkes went into detail on his pill use on Austin's podcast and it was very similar. Just tons of driving around to different pharmacies, visiting various doctors to get prescriptions, popping jaw dropping amounts of pills in one sitting, etc.

As far as kicking it cold turkey, I've heard a few celebrities and wrestlers say that's how they did it. IIRC, Shane Douglas said that one day he just rented a hotel room for a few days and just holed up there to get clean from whatever he was on. Slash from GnR said that whenever he got too deep into heroin and was about to go on tour or needed a break, he'd basically go to his parents' place, tell them he had the flu or something and just sweat and vomit for 3 or 4 days to get it out of his system. Of course, that's a pretty dangerous way to get clean as withdrawal can kill you without medical supervision and it doesn't treat the underlying reasons a person does drugs.

Actually not true. Withdrawal from drugs won't kill you , but you will wish you were dead. Conversely, withdrawal from alcohol CAN kill you... 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...