DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I remember having a (civil!) argument with Kane over on his Mr. X (I think it was called) blog about how libertarianism was a pipe dream that really ensured a state in which you had the freedom to die from easily-preventable diseases because of your inability to afford health care or the freedom to make it impossible for people of certain complexions to be able to make a road trip without worrying about whether or not they'd be able to stop at a service station for gas without being turned away. 

Trust me, he's not that bright. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Can I still love Kane but cancel Glenn Jacobs?  Because I can possibly live with that.  If I have to cancel both then that's another reason to give a major FU to 2020.

Of course. We all know how Kane feels about wearing masks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Y'all are trying to look for wisdom from people who get hit in the head for a living. 

?

I only trust boxers and MMA fighters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

The board members were surprised that he narrated an ominous video?  I’d be more shocked if he wasn’t making ominous videos. 

He’s just somehow moved on from vignettes about burning his family members alive to weird libertarian political views.  I guess it’s kind of a sidestep if anything.

The only worse kayfabe politician would be Big Show. He would flip flop on policies on a monthly basis.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

The board members were surprised that he narrated an ominous video?  I’d be more shocked if he wasn’t making ominous videos. 

He’s just somehow moved on from vignettes about burning his family members alive to weird libertarian political views.  I guess it’s kind of a sidestep if anything.

The only worse kayfabe politician would be Big Show. He would flip flop on policies on a monthly basis.

only because Fritz Von Erich is dead ?

• Haha 2

My Dad is still under the impression I'm a hardcore WWE wrestling fan even though it's been like a decade since I've even mentioned it near him. Every Christmas he gets me a nice framed autograph from a WWE guy and it's usually someone cool like Rey Mysterio or Mick Foley. Last year he got me a Corporate Kane Glen Jacobs and I just wanna trash it. 

4 minutes ago, StevieNippz said:

My Dad is still under the impression I'm a hardcore WWE wrestling fan even though it's been like a decade since I've even mentioned it near him. Every Christmas he gets me a nice framed autograph from a WWE guy and it's usually someone cool like Rey Mysterio or Mick Foley. Last year he got me a Corporate Kane Glen Jacobs and I just wanna trash it. 

Tossing it in a fire would be very appropriate.

• Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Tossing it in a fire would be very appropriate.

Sounds appropriate! 

I hate autographs that I didn't personally obtain because I don't see the fun otherwise but one year he did get me a Falling Down promo signed by Michael Douglas which I have to admit is pretty cool

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StevieNippz said:

Sounds appropriate! 

I hate autographs that I didn't personally obtain because I don't see the fun otherwise but one year he did get me a Falling Down promo signed by Michael Douglas which I have to admit is pretty cool

Was it signed D-Fens?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ryan said:

Bryan definitely isn't a Libertarian, but he's probably got some beliefs most would consider weird. Not just environmentalist boilerplate stuff.

See all the woo-woo stuff he tried to help with his brain lesions.

https://aiptcomics.com/2018/03/24/wwes-daniel-bryan-cleared-to-wrestle-because-of-hyperbaric-oxygen-therapy/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StevieNippz said:

Sounds appropriate! 

I dunno, seems like a nice thought if he's assuming you're still a fan.  Not sure if you told him otherwise though.  But I'm with you on preferring ones personally obtained.  Though if I received a generic one of somebody I like then sure why not.  But I found over time that I think I like more the photos I took with wrestlers or just remembering awesome times speaking with them.  Say what you will about the Briscoes but while I have their autograph my favorite thing is a photo taken with the three of us at a bar.  It was us in various levels of inebriation just having a grand ol' time and it's fun to look back at it.  Heck, I loved it so much I had that as my Facebook photo for the longest time.

But as for that Corporate Glenn photo?  Well, it's not him as Kane and with the weather slowly getting colder I think Eddie's right with his idea.  Now if you're feeling froggy maybe film it and play Kane's music over it for giggles.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 11:58 AM, Craig H said:

You know how you can quickly tell that someone doesn't "get it" when it comes to wrestling? When they say winning streak gimmicks or storylines don't work because what do you do when they have to lose. This is something Bruce Prichard would say all the time. I've heard another booker here or there say the same thing. That's your job, dummy! That's what you're supposed to figure out. Also, huh, that winning streak gimmick really didn't work except for the whole part with Goldberg becoming the biggest draw in the company. As for how you have Goldberg lose, there's definitely ways to do it, but the way Bischoff booked it sure as hell wasn't it.

Remember when Ryback debuted and the crowd clowned on him by chanting "Goldberg"?

Then the WWE gave him a winning streak like Goldberg. 

Then he started getting over like Goldberg.

Then he was getting the biggest pops on the show.

Then they squashed that like they do with everything else, but my point remains. That big meathead Ryback got over as hell, and I'm pretty confident his winning everything was the biggest reason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To the winning streak thing - I was watching the AEW show the other night with the the Anna Jay and Brandi match and, sure, Brandi is no huge star but Anna Jay has wrestled for like five days and she just beats Brandy handily. It's just not hard to get value from people. WWE has just broken everyone about how wrestling should be booked.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not to double-post but think about how Anna Jay was portrayed on TV this week vs Dominik. Both are probably the two most inexperienced performers on national TV. One is being put in a position to excel and the other is being both over-exposed and losing week after week as a narrative device to a bad story. 

• Like 1

Bryan goes to see a Naturopath over a real doctor and the jokes about "rub some leaves on it" may have some validity in his mind....I still love the guy and his work. Smackdown misses him. Hopefully, with his child being born, he'll be back at some point in the next year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

Remember when Ryback debuted and the crowd clowned on him by chanting "Goldberg"?

Then the WWE gave him a winning streak like Goldberg. 

Then he started getting over like Goldberg.

Then he was getting the biggest pops on the show.

Then they squashed that like they do with everything else, but my point remains. That big meathead Ryback got over as hell, and I'm pretty confident his winning everything was the biggest reason.

Winning streak, he was a massive dude and a catchphrase that encourages fan interaction. Too bad they jobbed him to Punk and then turned him heel. 

You can definitley make the case Ryback was hot enough to get the belt at the time, but I don’t think the Punk jobs really hurt him.  He was protected in all of them.  He even got a lot of shine in the Rumble that year and had a feud with the Shield, who were also red hot.

It went off the rails when he jobbed to Henry at WM (why? Love Mark, but no reason for him to go over there) and turned on Cena the next night, which put him on the Job To Cena Multiple PPVs In A Row Train, from which no one ever really returned.