DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Uh, you can definitely die from withdrawal from opiates or benzos. 

That's what I figured, I've done withdrawal from incredibly low level xanax cold turkey and it was fucking awful. A few different times. Stupid old school doctor having me pop them like aspirin getting me addicted. Take 3 every day, not as needed, just 3 every day. That was a long time ago.

I'm on Klonopin now, which is a Benzo, but it's long lasting enough that it deals with the panic and anxiety symptoms and between dose issues which if you've ever taken them you know what I'm talking about. I don't care about the therapeutic high feeling. Never really got that with this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's shocking to see someone spreading disinformation like "you can't die from drug withdrawals - but alcohol, yep, totally!". Never mind the fact that alcohol is a fucking drug, but whatever. Just a total lack of knowledge about what heavy substance abuse can do to your body when you deprive it of something that it's fed off of and now is lacking. Not to mention side effects like depression, which can lead to even more serious issues like, say, suicidal thoughts.

I honestly don't know how I'm still alive after abusing Xanax for half a year like I did back in 2010/2011, but my body is probably going to pay for it eventually. You can't put 5-8 Xanax up your nose, three times a week, for months on end, without there being severe repercussions either immediately after or damaging your body in the long run.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can anyone clarify the employment status of AEW roster members? Contractors also? 

Seems massively hypocritical for AEW to be taking shots at WWE over it, if their situation is not much better. I mean, yeah, they let them do their own third party deals, but probably wouldn't need to if they were provided health care benefits..

I recall the office staff (coaches, producers, merch etc) are all permanent staff with healthcare and benefits, don’t believe that extends to the wrestlers and refs unless they have a player/coach arrangement or help out in the office in some other capacity as well.

• Like 1

TK was asked about that at one of the early AEW media scrums, only the questioner used Moxley as an example, and Khan ducked the issue by pointing out that as a spouse, Mox was covered by Renee's WWE-provided insurance. And then Mox went and had that unsanctioned bloodbath with Kenny at last year's Full Gear, and Vince had to pay for his medical care afterwards. This is very, very funny.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, MavsFan77 said:

In Hogan’s case doesn’t he own the rights to the Hulk Hogan name anyhow? I know he was able to have a different company release action figures of him despite WWE having a deal with Mattel. 

Plus the figures (if I’m not mistaken) were released at a time when he was no longer under a WWE legends or performer deal. 

Marvel had and might still have an agreement that they got a cut of all Hulk Hogan merch. Whoever came up with Hollywood Hogan saved much money in royalties. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Do you mean like 'The Warrior' Warrior Warrior? FKA Jim Hellwig, AKA the Ultimate Warrior. He wanted to be able to use the name 'Warrior' on merch and stuff outside of the WWF, so he changed his names to Warrior. Both of them. He could have been Jim Warrior or Warrior Hellwig, but nope. Warrior Warrior. That's why his Widow is Dana Warrior now. It's actually her name.

someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but it's my understanding that Jim Hellwig legally changed his name to "Warrior". just a one word name, not "Warrior Warrior".

if Dana Warrior is her legal name, then she chose to keep her first name and adopt his as her surname.

2 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Can anyone clarify the employment status of AEW roster members? Contractors also? 

Seems massively hypocritical for AEW to be taking shots at WWE over it, if their situation is not much better. I mean, yeah, they let them do their own third party deals, but probably wouldn't need to if they were provided health care benefits..

I love AEW, but yeah, they fucked up on this front. But, in a seriousness, health care shouldn't be tied to your job anyway - not that that will ever change in America, though.

But even if their wrestlers were actual employees and had health care, I'm pretty sure most of them would still want their side hustle. It's not like Twitch or Cameo or whatever is netting these guys absolute BANK. I'm pretty sure Miro is only doing Twitch right now and nothing else because he's been smart with his money, and it's a little extra income and it's fun. Creed, Miro, Cesaro, Aiden English, etc. aren't fuckin' Ninja or something over here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, twiztor said:

someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but it's my understanding that Jim Hellwig legally changed his name to "Warrior". just a one word name, not "Warrior Warrior".

if Dana Warrior is her legal name, then she chose to keep her first name and adopt his as her surname.

I've never heard Hellwig being anything other than Warrior. I think I've seen some old wrestling reviews were people probably erroneously or maybe in a satirical sense refer to him as Jim Warrior.

Warrior Warrior is a badass Brazilian MMA fighter name though.

11 hours ago, Raziel said:

The Twitch stuff is likely a combination of Styles revealing on his stream that he tested positive for Rona, and his page is plastered with his  P1 logos

IIRC, AJ owns that. It's why his Rumble debut gear didn't have it--he hadn't worked out a deal to use it in the WWE yet.

55 minutes ago, Casey said:

I love AEW, but yeah, they fucked up on this front. But, in a seriousness, health care shouldn't be tied to your job anyway - not that that will ever change in America, though.

But even if their wrestlers were actual employees and had health care, I'm pretty sure most of them would still want their side hustle. It's not like Twitch or Cameo or whatever is netting these guys absolute BANK. I'm pretty sure Miro is only doing Twitch right now and nothing else because he's been smart with his money, and it's a little extra income and it's fun. Creed, Miro, Cesaro, Aiden English, etc. aren't fuckin' Ninja or something over here.

Yeah, as an outsider to the US health system, it's mind boggling to consider in the context of the average office job, let alone wrestlers doing high risk shit in roles that have little to no job security. 

6 hours ago, Ryan said:

That's what I figured, I've done withdrawal from incredibly low level xanax cold turkey and it was fucking awful. A few different times. Stupid old school doctor having me pop them like aspirin getting me addicted. Take 3 every day, not as needed, just 3 every day. That was a long time ago.

I'm on Klonopin now, which is a Benzo, but it's long lasting enough that it deals with the panic and anxiety symptoms and between dose issues which if you've ever taken them you know what I'm talking about. I don't care about the therapeutic high feeling. Never really got that with this one.

Not trying to tell you what to do but panic/anxiety runs in my family,  with me personally I was fine until I got into adult years and then I had issues dealing with it..  I still do on occasion but what worked for me was just having a low level PRN...  tried the schedule doses and it didn't do shit but make everything worse and give me side effects.  Having a low level PRN worked wonders.  But everyone is different. 

41 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yeah, Styles was using that logo in New Japan so it predates WWE. I know nothing about TNA, so it could have used it towards the end of his run there too before he went to New Japan, I'm not sure.

stylesting.jpg

That P1 logo? The one on his leg, and his shirt, and the palms of his gloves?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

stylesting.jpg

That P1 logo? The one on his leg, and his shirt, and the palms of his gloves?

Yes, that very logo that @Casey said he wouldn't know if AJ wore because he never watched TNA and knows nothing about it. ?  

2 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Yes, that very logo that @Casey said he wouldn't know if AJ wore because he never used Google image search and knows nothing about it. ?  

ftfy

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

ftfy

No, you definitely made my original post worse. 

To get back on topic, wouldn't American wrestlers be eligible for their home state's insurance exchange and possible subsidized insurance? I'm actually pretty curious about this.

I also wonder how many workers on the roster have SAG cards.

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

this is the story that I've heard. He changed his name to "Warrior" at some point he had to fill out a legal document and wrote Warrior in both spaces that asked first and last names. I guess someone saw this or it got leaked online and thats where the Warrior Warrior stuff came from

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Yes, that very logo that @Casey said he wouldn't know if AJ wore because he never watched TNA and knows nothing about it. ?  

I actually did google it, but the only images I saw in my search result was clearly AJ from his New Japan/indies run. I can tell because of the hair style ?