DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Please tell me this is just more shoddy work from Nason, and he didn't actually say this:

Is Paul Levesque suffering the ill effects of some prior head injuries in his wrestling career? He's getting massacred almost every week, and this is his response. 

That is just one step away from this

tenor.gif?itemid=5447899

Like most political responses these days I’m just ignoring these stupid comments. I’m just watching the wrestling.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Comedian said:

PWI had a lot of weird name quirks like that. Like they refused to put the "Jim" in between "Hacksaw Duggan". Or long after WWF had settled on 1-2-3 Kid for Waltman, PWI still referred to him as just "The Kid".

They always referred to Mr Perfect as "Curt Hennig" even when he hadn't been called that on WWF TV in years. But Jacques Rougeau was "the Mountie" from the moment he debuted in that gimmick. They also refused to call anyone "Ricky" it was always "Rick Morton", "Rick Steamboat" etc.

Balls Mahoney was always just referred to as "Mahoney" in the Apter mags.

There were other weird idiosyncrasies they had too, such as the naming of the titles in USWA, what USWA called the "Unified World Champion", PWI called the "USWA Champion" and what USWA called the "USWA Champion", PWI called the "Southern Champion". I get that it was because they didn't recognise USWA as having a legit world championship but it was still confusing.

• Like 2

Re: Mr. Perfect

I watched KOTR 93 a couple weeks ago and also been some Raws from 94-96. On the former, Bret and Mr. Perfect have an argument about who has the tougher dad. IIRC They acknowledge that he is Curt Hennig the son of Larry "The Axe" Hennig. On the Raw shows, Vince always calls him Mr. Perfect but the wrestlers (or Lawler/JR) would switch between Perfect and Curt Hennig. They were taping 3-4 Raws at a clip (1 live and 2-3 taped). So you would think if Vince was pissed or just micromanaging, he would have that redone when they did the "live" commentary in Connecticut or edited out altogether.

I have a memory of Vince himself saying it at one point. He and Hennig were on commentary, and Vince ribbed him about what some old time wrestler would do, like "what was his name ... Curt ... Perfect, something."

Edited by Dog
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dog said:

I have a memory of Vince himself saying it at one point. He and Hennig were on commentary, and Vince ribbed about what some old time wrestler would do, like "what was his name ... Curt ... Perfect, something."

Vince ribbing, but Hennig was being put out to pasture at that point. Maybe Vince just saw it as a way to acknowledge his past, by making him come off even older, and less fresh than how he used to be portrayed while having him job on his way down the card.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs