DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

11 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

In the WWWF, managed by Fred Blassie (thee Hollywood Fashion Plate of Wrestling), Hansen's elbow pad was definitely loaded with coins. How else was he going to take down Sammartino? I don't recall him using that gimmick when he returned (paired with again with thee Classy one) to face Backlund. What era matches were you watching? Maybe his elbow got callused with age and he didn't need the foreign object...

- RAF

There is Japan stuff from the 80’s where it looks like he’s slipping in a Dr. Scholes into his pad.

Here the details I guess.  I mean I know this says more about the kind of people I hang out with at wrestling shows but I feel like I can count the number of wrestling fans who drink wine with my hands and toes    Beer definitely.   Whiskey or vodka definitely.  Wine not so much

• Haha 1

Speaking of Jon Alba, he's reporting that there's been another outbreak of COVID within WWE (in NXT), and it was spread by a coach supposedly. And talent in NXT has gotten very, very relaxed with wearing masks too.

13 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

In the WWWF, managed by Fred Blassie (thee Hollywood Fashion Plate of Wrestling), Hansen's elbow pad was definitely loaded with coins. How else was he going to take down Sammartino? I don't recall him using that gimmick when he returned (paired with again with thee Classy one) to face Backlund. What era matches were you watching? Maybe his elbow got callused with age and he didn't need the foreign object...

- RAF

Yeah, the entire blowoff Hansen/Bruno Cage match was built around Bruno pulling Hansen's loaded pad off and beating the everloving shit out of Hansen with it before casually strolling out of the cage, so the Hansen loaded lariat was a thing.

33 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Here the details I guess.  I mean I know this says more about the kind of people I hang out with at wrestling shows but I feel like I can count the number of wrestling fans who drink wine with my hands and toes    Beer definitely.   Whiskey or vodka definitely.  Wine not so much

And here I was thinking that the Taco Bell wine being sold at Canadian Taco Bells would be the weirdest wine news I'd see this year. Not even a week later and I see this.

So when Santana and Ortiz came out with their faces painted, and Tony Schiavone immediately said "Hey, cool, Dead Presidents, what a great movie!", do you reckon he asked them backstage and they told him all about it, or that Tony is a legit John Singleton guy? Because I reckon he just knew.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AxB said:

So when Santana and Ortiz came out with their faces painted, and Tony Schiavone immediately said "Hey, cool, Dead Presidents, what a great movie!", do you reckon he asked them backstage and they told him all about it, or that Tony is a legit John Singleton guy? Because I reckon he just knew.

I really wanna believe he just knew

• Like 4

Was it confirmed that Santana and Ortiz were cosplaying Dead Presidents?  I was guessing The Warriors (which seems a little more applicable given the context) and I've seen a few other guesses.  I know Tony said Dead Presidents, but I thought he was just guessing (though it sounds more like a line he was fed than something he'd come up with on his own).

36 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Oh jesus.... Nia Jax is (Un-?) intentionally pushing a Q Anon conspiracy shirt on her Instagram.  

Could be unintentional. The Save the Children shit is pilling people who don't realize they're being pilled. They'll deny they're into Q and then say all the Q things. 

But who the fuck knows. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

These are probably awful but I'm a red wine fan and these sound intriguing. Undertaker wine seems like it should be a Merlot, Kane would probably make a good Cabernet. If these are successful I hope we can get a Gangrel Red blend called "Mysterious Red Liquid."

And yes I've already thought about if my wrestling gimmick was a snooty wine connoisseur. My finishing move would be The Corkscrew though I'd probably hit them with a nice bottle of Chablis when the ref isn't looking. My name would be Antonio Amarone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

not sure if this is widely known but each Kaiju Big Battle show has different people wearing the costume.  The costumes go from town to town with locals playing the parts.  I don't know why I am surprised but I am floored by this. 

It wasn't until some friends were in the Kaiju show in NOLA that I learned this.

• Like 1