DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

32 minutes ago, zendragon said:

As to the make up thing. I remember hearing that Vince expects everyone back stage to be camera ready and in ring gear backstage before the show. I wouldn't be surprised if this applies to all on air talent if the need someone to do a pre tape or something 

That would stink for someone with elaborate gear or make up, like the Boogeyman . 

11 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

They were just talking about the big hullabaloo on BTS about Bischoff leaving a show early cus he wasn’t scheduled for anything on a PPV, that ended up pissing off Vince, and Hunter. So yeah they expect you to be ready for anything backstage.

Wasn't that Rumble '05? Bischoff was supposed to be the one they sent out to save the botched ending and he was nowhere to be found. So the match getting fucked up combined with Eric being gone is what gave us that classic Vince moment. So I say, it was great that he left.

Edited by PetrolCB

I understand corporate procedure and everything, but it doesn't mean I agree with it. Having to be camera-ready 24/7, especially if you're just staff, is some bullshit. 

Anyway, who aside from Rick (besides some exceptions) has ever been totally heel throughout their entire career? I was thinking Vader but then remembered the Baby Bull period he had. Brock? 

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I understand corporate procedure and everything, but it doesn't mean I agree with it. Having to be camera-ready 24/7, especially if you're just staff, is some bullshit. 

Anyway, who aside from Rick (besides some exceptions) has ever been totally heel throughout their entire career? I was thinking Vader but then remembered the Baby Bull period he had. Brock? 

My bet would someone who played a foreign heel or had an "ugly" gimmick like the French Angel. 

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

When was Bob Orton, Jr a face? I’m sure he was, but I don’t know.

Harris Brothers come to mind too, but I don’t want to know that answer unless it’s about what part of the country to never go visit.

Orton was a face in JCP before he turned on Flair to collect Harley's bounty, wasn't he?

29 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Brock was a face in OVW, and briefly during his first run in the WWE. 

I mean, plenty of heels kept the same gimmick & character throughout their career, and basically the fans decided they liked them so they became de facto babyfaces despite retaining their heel personality. The Rock, Roddy Piper, Cactus Jack, Sandman...

1 hour ago, AxB said:

I mean, plenty of heels kept the same gimmick & character throughout their career, and basically the fans decided they liked them so they became de facto babyfaces despite retaining their heel personality. The Rock, Roddy Piper, Cactus Jack, Sandman...

If I can’t find any archival proof that Heenan ever played a face, then Heenan was never a face. He might’ve technically sided with WCW during their “War”, but he always found a way to compliment the nWo. Even on Double Dare, Bobby didn’t play a face. 

Edit: I want to say The “Original” Sheik never played face, but he did manage Sabu that one night. Sabu’s affiliation was questionable in his brief WCW run though.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

My bet would someone who played a foreign heel or had an "ugly" gimmick like the French Angel. 

Iron Sheik, maybe? I can't remember the Sheik gimmick being a babyface anywhere, though Khosrow worked face at the very beginning of his career?

I don't think Baron Corbin's ever been a babyface.  IIRC, he's never wrestled anywhere except the WWE system and I don't remember him ever being a face in NXT.  KInda surprising, considering almost everyone turns at some point in the WWE.

Who was never a heel?  Steamboat?.  He debuted as a babyface and he supposedly got his ring name because Eddie Graham thought his "Richard Blood" was a heel name.  I don't think he ever worked heel in Florida or for Crockett (or WWF).  

Did Bruno work heel anywhere?  Not that I can remember.

It seems like Rey should have been a lifelong face but I can think of at least two heel runs (Promo Azteca and WCW briefly when he joined the Flithy Animals).

Cena was a heel when he did the Prototype gimmick, wasn't he?

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Paul Roma?

7 minutes ago, just drew said:

Paul Roma?

Roma was a face for most of his time in WWF.  Maybe all his time.  He mostly worked heels and a jobber, then he formed a babyface tag team with Jim Powers called the Young Stallions.