DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

22 hours ago, Ryan said:

Vince will assume that since they're both Latinx, they must be the Bellas and have them do Twin Magic and be mad when it looks weird. Aleister Black will then shoot beat him up backstage.

Someone should try and convince him that Melina is actually Zelina from the future. 

• Haha 1

I decided to rewatch WWE's Rise and Fall of WCW compilation this week.  Still think the doc's kinda dry given how chaotic WCW was behind the scenes regardless of what year it was or who was it charge.  But it's a fun collection of matches and not a bad way to pass a few evenings while the family is out of town.

A couple things:

- Was Rick Rude a lifelong heel?  I think he was.  He started out as a babyface jobber under the name of Ricky Rood, but was doing the arrogant heel character by '84.  I don't remember "Ravishing" Rick Rude turning face anytime after that.  WCW seemed to be teasing a heel turn and maybe a feud with Vader. but he suffered the back injury before anything came of it.  

- Speaking of Rude, "International Championship" seemed lame even at the time.  Commentary mostly called it "the International Championship" instead of "WCW International Championship" which made it sound very generic.

-- Never noticed it until now, but the Harley/Vader pairing reminds me a lot of Paul Heyman/Brock.  Paul's a better talker, of course, but I'd much prefer to have Harley & Vader on my tv.

-- That Flair/Hogan match from Bash at the Beach '94 is surprisingly fun.  I'm not a big fan of Hogan's ringwork and don't really care for Flair after he returned to WCW (Heel Flair in WCW from '93 generally feels a retread of better angles in the 80's and babyface Fliar in the mid and late 90's is ugh - especially he Bischoff stuff).  But... both guys were motivated that night and the formula of evil Nature Boy vs. superhero Hulk Hogan works better than it should have.

• Like 1

WWE could put Melina and Mickie together, so they can be JTTS's for the other women. 

Anyway there are some Hogan vs Flair in the WWF at MSG matches uploaded elsewhere. Their 30.11.1991 match has a very good crowd.

23 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

After Dave giving the street fight the other night the maximum star rating  - I was shocked to find out neither Raw or Smackdown have had a match rated ***** by him. 

Yeah he said this was the first match on national live tv he ever gave that rating to. I was sure the HBK/Cena match where they went almost an hour was 5 stars.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eoae said:

I decided to rewatch WWE's Rise and Fall of WCW compilation this week.  Still think the doc's kinda dry given how chaotic WCW was behind the scenes regardless of what year it was or who was it charge.  But it's a fun collection of matches and not a bad way to pass a few evenings while the family is out of town.

A couple things:

- Was Rick Rude a lifelong heel?  I think he was.  He started out as a babyface jobber under the name of Ricky Rood, but was doing the arrogant heel character by '84.  I don't remember "Ravishing" Rick Rude turning face anytime after that.  WCW seemed to be teasing a heel turn and maybe a feud with Vader. but he suffered the back injury before anything came of it.  

- Speaking of Rude, "International Championship" seemed lame even at the time.  Commentary mostly called it "the International Championship" instead of "WCW International Championship" which made it sound very generic.

-- Never noticed it until now, but the Harley/Vader pairing reminds me a lot of Paul Heyman/Brock.  Paul's a better talker, of course, but I'd much prefer to have Harley & Vader on my tv.

-- That Flair/Hogan match from Bash at the Beach '94 is surprisingly fun.  I'm not a big fan of Hogan's ringwork and don't really care for Flair after he returned to WCW (Heel Flair in WCW from '93 generally feels a retread of better angles in the 80's and babyface Fliar in the mid and late 90's is ugh - especially he Bischoff stuff).  But... both guys were motivated that night and the formula of evil Nature Boy vs. superhero Hulk Hogan works better than it should have.

Rick Rude was one of those guys who could help little old ladies across the street, volunteer at a foodbank, and give half his earnings to charity and he would STILL come across as a heel. Hell, he did the most totally babyface thing ever in wrestling (knocked the fuck out of Warrior) and he still seems a heel. Damn I loved Rick Rude.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Comedian said:

I believe Rude worked babyface in a program with...I wanna say Honky-Tonk Man in some indie in '91, in between leaving WWF and debuting in WCW.

Kind of, he cut promos on Honky in IWCCW but never wrestled a match for the promotion. I don't think he had any matches at all in the year between him leaving WWF and joining WCW. 

Renee Young on her "meeting-in-the-hallway" style first meeting with former boss Vince McMahon:

"Little me is walking around backstage with a clean face, squeaky clean, and he comes walking down the hallway, and I'm like, 'Hi!' And I don't remember who it was with him, but they said Vince should not see you without makeup on. You should be fully done...He would not remember that, but I just remember that happening and I had not a clue that that was how it's supposed to work."

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/09/renee-young-recalls-weird-first-meeting-with-vince-mcmahon-674898/

This bloody company run by Vince McMahon...

38 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Renee Young on her "meeting-in-the-hallway" style first meeting with former boss Vince McMahon:

"Little me is walking around backstage with a clean face, squeaky clean, and he comes walking down the hallway, and I'm like, 'Hi!' And I don't remember who it was with him, but they said Vince should not see you without makeup on. You should be fully done...He would not remember that, but I just remember that happening and I had not a clue that that was how it's supposed to work."

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/09/renee-young-recalls-weird-first-meeting-with-vince-mcmahon-674898/

This bloody company run by Vince McMahon...

I know this is going to get me some flak, but you work somewhere for someone, they expect you to be and act a certain way and as an employee you comply. It's nothing major.

Why does everything have to get blown out of proportion?

On 9/18/2020 at 3:22 PM, ChesterCopperpot said:

After Dave giving the street fight the other night the maximum star rating  - I was shocked to find out neither Raw or Smackdown have had a match rated ***** by him. 

When someone points out some of the absurdly great matches he hasn't give the five asterisks to, he'll reply that those matches are from different eras, and ought to not be compared to today's matches. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Edwin said:

I know this is going to get me some flak, but you work somewhere for someone, they expect you to be and act a certain way and as an employee you comply. It's nothing major.

Why does everything have to get blown out of proportion?

I wonder if Tom Phillips is allowed to walk around backstage without his makeup fully done?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

On 9/20/2020 at 2:40 PM, Log said:

I wonder if Tom Phillips is allowed to walk around backstage without his makeup fully done?

Now, I can all but guarantee that there is a double standard going on when it comes to this, but do you think that Tom Phillips WOULD walk around anywhere without his full tv make-up on? I mean yeah, that wasn't the question, but still. Michael Cole probably walks around in his suit and make-up on. Graves, make-up, no doubt. Mauro and Nigel could be caught without their tv- face, presumably, can't really say much for others. To be clear, I'm not being serious here, btw.

Dammit, what I forgot to say was Samoa Joe being such a naturally beautiful man, probably only needs the slightest of touch ups, in order to be tv-ready, anyway!

Edited by Shartnado
Forgot Samoa Joe
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

When someone points out some of the absurdly great matches he hasn't give the five asterisks to, he'll reply that those matches are from different eras, and ought to not be compared to today's matches. 

Rampant Inflation. The Pro Wrestling Federal Reserve should really do something.

• Like 5

Rude was a face for a while in Memphis, following a pretty standard Memphis arc of coming in as a heel as part of Jimmy Hart's first family, getting kicked out/turned on after the big title loss, then feuding with Hart

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I can’t believe I just realized that with the creators of Married With Children being such big wrestling fans, that they basically had Al cut babyface promos almost every week.

It’s documented that they are wrestling fans that’s why the Bundy’s were the Bundy’s and the Rhodes’s were the Rhodes’s.

4 hours ago, Log said:

I wonder if Tom Phillips is allowed to walk around at normal height or if he still has to widen his stance?

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

It’s documented that they are wrestling fans that’s why the Bundy’s were the Bundy’s and the Rhodes’s were the Rhodes’s.

King Kong Bundy's guest spot as part of Peg's backwoods Wisconsin family is among the best wrestler-acting that we've ever been graced with in our lives, IMO.

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 5