DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Speaking of Bret Hart, was rewatching some of his WCW matches and oof, did his run there suck. Only memorable matches were the Flair Souled Out match and the Owen tribute match. Not only was he booked poorly, but he was obviously checked out and in cruise control. 

What did you think of the WW3 us title match against DDP? I liked that one.

Bishoff say on I think 83 weeks that yes he (Bishoff) should have had a better Idea for bringing in Bret and that Owen's death really did cause Bret lose his to passion for wrestling

1 minute ago, zendragon said:

What did you think of the WW3 us title match against DDP? I liked that one.

Bishoff say on I think 83 weeks that yes he (Bishoff) should have had a better Idea for bringing in Bret and that Owen's death really did cause Bret lose his to passion for wrestling

FWIW, I really enjoyed that match. Page should've ended Goldberg's streak at Havoc and headlined Starrcade w Bret. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Valcourt said:

Meltz hasn't seemed to say anything yet, but it looks like Ricochet is on his way out of the WWE...

I know we talk about WWE big misses, but is this one of the bigger ones lately? Or is it just a good worker going away?

While Ricochet is amazing in the ring, I don't seem him on top of AEW going toe to toe with Mox or Jericho. Maybe in a system outside of WWE he could get to that level?

I'd watch Ricochet and Ricky Starks go as many times as AEW wanted to air it...

• Like 4

The thing with Bret in WCW was that he was left to flounder really.

I remember Bischoff saying a couple of times that they just assumed he would be white hot so they had a few months up their sleeve to get something going. He comes in and the heat just isn't there so they figured WCW needed to 'build him up' for their fans and he started in the upper mid card.

Then they turned him heel for no good reason.

He wasn't in a main event for over 6 months after his debut and 2 years in total for him to become WCW Champion.

When you bring in, arguably, the most over guy on the planet, one who has a legitimate claim to still being the WWF Champion, and you take 2 years to put the World Title on him...

• Like 6

And they KEPT turning him heel. 

No one asked for or wanted a "Bret joins the nWo and then swerves everyone into thinking he's left them and turned face, only to stay with the nWo" angle.

You've got a white-hot, sympathetic babyface and you put him up against Ric Flair, maybe the one guy other than Sting who the WCW fans will side with over him, and then turn him heel and keep him that way even though the crowd wants to root for him.

Someone mentioned Luger coming back to WCW, and that Hogan/Savage/Sting/Luger uneasy alliances angle was great. I don't agree that Bischoff only ever had one good idea that drew anything in the nWo. However, by the end of 1997, Bischoff was unable to manage his talents and was looking for a way into Hollywood. Bret leaving in 1997 was terrible timing. If he leaves in 1996, he's probably in a much better place in terms of booking. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 2

On 9/16/2020 at 8:44 AM, AxB said:

No, that's what stupid people are like. A guy told me he doesn't wear a mask because Coronavirus isn't real, you're born with Coronavirus and everyone already has it, and it's man made in a lab in China. And when I asked him which one was true, because they couldn't all be true and they contradict each other, he said all of it was. 

We've come full circle. 

tenor.gif?itemid=4976962

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

FWIW, I really enjoyed that match. Page should've ended Goldberg's streak at Havoc and headlined Starrcade w Bret. 

I agree. Bill Goldberg vs. Diamond Dallas Page at WCW Halloween Havoc 1998 was Goldberg's greatest match. I was 13 when that match happened and I still remember it especially:

What a counter. The Diamond Cutter was such a protected move, it's my favourite ever wrestling move.

• Like 3

On the above, can you think of a show that has a Match of the Year and Worst Match of the Year? I've come up with three: 

WCW Halloween Havoc 1998. MOTYC: Bill Goldberg vs. DDP. WMOTY: Fuck Hollywood Hogan vs. Ultimate Warrior II.

WWE Royal Rumble 2003. MOTYC: Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit. WMOTY: Triple H vs. Scott Steiner.

WWE WrestleMania XX. MOTYC: Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Benoit. WMOTYC: Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar.

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

On the above, can you think of a show that has a Match of the Year and Worst Match of the Year? I've come up with three: 

WCW Halloween Havoc 1998. MOTYC: Bill Goldberg vs. DDP. WMOTY: Fuck Hollywood Hogan vs. Ultimate Warrior II.

WWE Royal Rumble 2003. MOTYC: Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit. WMOTY: Triple H vs. Scott Steiner.

WWE WrestleMania XX. MOTYC: Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Benoit. WMOTYC: Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar.

Yeah, and maybe Halloween Havoc 1997, too? With Eddy-Rey and Hogan-Piper cage match? Take your pick which you consider which.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2020 at 1:06 PM, Craig H said:

Can we make mention of this morning's WOR podcast? Holy fucking shit. I know we make the joke that Dave is on the spectrum and whatever, but in this episode, he first says that spaghetti...SPAGHETTI...is too hard to make. Bryan is just incredulous and is like, "what, you just boil some noodles..." and Dave's response is, "Yeah, I don't know...I can make a salad. Do dogs eat salad?"

DO DOGS EAT SALAD

And I know when they're joking or doing a bit, but this clearly wasn't a bit. This was Dave's stream of consciousness.

Bryan desperately tries to move on with, "... ... so this match was great..."

This will absolutely end up on the year-end best-of.  Don't sleep on Dave's housecleaning advice...essentially, get a dog because they'll eat any food you drop on the floor.  If your house is a mess after a foodfight, don't clean it, just set a dog loose.    In Dave's world, dogs are like those sheep people bring in to get fields under control.

• Haha 2