DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

13 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I wish people would just sloooooooow down with social media, and the internet in general. Too much constant useless info a day is a distraction. Like I recently found out there was a backlash against certain streaming services for drip feeding episodes. As soon as I saw it, I just closed the page, and played music to meditate the negative energy away.

I can’t do it anymore. I’ve been diagnosed with ADD since I was four. These smartphones have made it worse. Now it’s all about confronting skeptics on the internet like Flip. I know some people have to go through it because it’s part of their jobs now, but fuck it all. I can’t focus on me, and what’s really in front if my eyes that effects my life. 

Best thing I did recently was to deactivate Facebook. Haven't deleted it yet but the way it's looking that's gonna happen at some point. Only social media I do is Twitter but that's just for seeing what a few wrestlers and Tromatagon post. And with the like system and such this board is the only social media that I care to active post on. 

And if anybody is interested I would highly recommend reading Digital Minimalism. Really great book. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Best thing I did recently was to deactivate Facebook. Haven't deleted it yet but the way it's looking that's gonna happen at some point. Only social media I do is Twitter but that's just for seeing what a few wrestlers and Tromatagon post. And with the like system and such this board is the only social media that I care to active post on. 

And if anybody is interested I would highly recommend reading Digital Minimalism. Really great book. 

This is most likely a really good idea. I have not been on social media, I have no accounts for anything other than this board and I already spend an unhealthy amount of time here as is. There's no way I could even handle the more modern and invasive forms of social media. Since I don't have children I haven't needed to get accounts to keep tabs on the offspring, so I have managed decently without them thus far.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

The thing about Facebook, and pretty much any social media, is that you can curate your own experience. Follow who you want, friend who you want, like what you want. I keep my social media experience as positive as possible by doing my best to ensure that my timeline matches my own energy as much as possible. For example if I have friends on Facebook who have a run of negative/anti my energy posts, I have no problem giving them a 30 day snooze lol.

I'm not saying that I live in an echo chamber...I think it's important to be exposed to well thought out opposing views, to a degree. For example, not all "conservative" views are necessarily bad or evil. But spew anything hateful, racist, sexist or homophobic? That's a one way ticket out of my timeline. 

My point is, your social media is what you make it. I think if you go at it with a different mindset, you may have a different experience. ?

Ps are you all following me on Instagram yet? @misterjustint ?

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 9

Can we make mention of this morning's WOR podcast? Holy fucking shit. I know we make the joke that Dave is on the spectrum and whatever, but in this episode, he first says that spaghetti...SPAGHETTI...is too hard to make. Bryan is just incredulous and is like, "what, you just boil some noodles..." and Dave's response is, "Yeah, I don't know...I can make a salad. Do dogs eat salad?"

DO DOGS EAT SALAD

And I know when they're joking or doing a bit, but this clearly wasn't a bit. This was Dave's stream of consciousness.

Bryan desperately tries to move on with, "... ... so this match was great..."

• Haha 7

7 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I'm not following. Did he want to make spaghetti for the dog but it was too much effort? Is he taking Lady and the Tramp literally? 

No. Somehow spaghetti got brought up. I forget why now because the conversation fried my brain. Dave then randomly asked if dogs eat salad. Like, out of nowhere asked it.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

No. Somehow spaghetti got brought up. I forget why now because the conversation fried my brain. Dave then randomly asked if dogs eat salad. Like, out of nowhere asked it.

my-cabbageees

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

Meltz hasn't seemed to say anything yet, but it looks like Ricochet is on his way out of the WWE...

I know we talk about WWE big misses, but is this one of the bigger ones lately? Or is it just a good worker going away?

While Ricochet is amazing in the ring, I don't seem him on top of AEW going toe to toe with Mox or Jericho. Maybe in a system outside of WWE he could get to that level?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Valcourt said:

I know we talk about WWE big misses, but is this one of the bigger ones lately? Or is it just a good worker going away?

Most will say the former, but I think its the latter. Ricochet has shown nothing personality/character wise during his entire run, and that wasn't just on WWE. He has charisma, but to me he is a lot like Sanada where his bland personality nullifies some of that. He is an amazing enough of an athlete where he can bypass some of his issues, but he isn't a can't miss guy like say Moxley was or even Rusev. Taking him out of NXT was basically death for him in WWE unless someone took him on as a personal project which was never going to happen.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Most will say the former, but I think its the latter. Ricochet has shown nothing personality/character wise during his entire run, and that wasn't just on WWE. He has charisma, but to me he is a lot like Sanada where his bland personality nullifies some of that. He is an amazing enough of an athlete where he can bypass some of his issues, but he isn't a can't miss guy like say Moxley was or even Rusev. Taking him out of NXT was basically death for him in WWE unless someone took him on as a personal project which was never going to happen.

I'm sorry, but I think you're flat out wrong here. I don't understand how you can put the failings of WWE creative on the wrestler. This is without a doubt probably the worst creative in the entire history of the company, a creative division that along with Vince has no interest in creating new stars or creating stars period.

Stop putting the blame on the wrestlers. Now, if these guys were given carte blance to go out, cut their own promos, get over on their own, go buck wild in the ring, and be placed in programs where they could remotely be used well, then fine, THAT'S ON THE WRESTLER IF THEY DON'T GET OVER. These guys get practically zero chance to get over with all of the start/stop bullshit or just not being used period. The opportunities they do get are micromanaged to all hell so you're NEVER getting what that wrestler can or would do. You're seeing what Vince or some other shitty writer would do through Ricochet.

Ricochet is absolutely a can't miss wrestler. Saying he's not would be like saying Rey Mysterio Jr. wasn't if he went to WWF instead of WCW. Ricochet has the look, the in ring ability, and does shit that maybe less than 10% of wrestlers on the planet can do. They should have been able to make millions upon millions off of people like Ricochet, Rusev, Aleister Black, Rhea Ripley, Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens, Matt Riddle, and now Keith Lee. They never will though because WWE has shown time and time and time and time and time again that they will completely fuck up the easiest layups. 

And sometimes it is on the wrestlers. Matt Cardona is pretty bland because the dude has been in the WWE system for way too long and he's the embodiment of a vanilla worker. There's other examples too, but that's one that comes to mind. 

• Like 6

I assume it was meant to be "shocking" to the fans who would know about it...

Stuff like that, where people were (I assume) probably hurt by the actual truth of those events are just easy and trashy.

Hopefully it's already been forgotten by Vince.

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

We're all sleeping on the detail in that article about Matt Riddle referencing his accusation in a promo or something. What was that? And just how fucked up is it? 

It wasn't Riddle, it was Baron Corbin who referenced it. And yes, it's pretty fucked up because Vince and Bruce are both scumbags.

• Like 2

Ricochet doesn't really have the same storytelling and psychology bonafides as Hart, does he? At least not to my mind. Although that might be me putting Bret on the pedestal many of us do. Sure, he's an impressive athlete and a competent wrestler. But given where the baseline is today, one needs to be more than that to be given the same leeway Bret would be entitled to in his day. Also: Bret was a pretty good promo from time to time, even if he was never an all-timer. 

Although as Craig suggested, it might be unfair to judge what these guys can do when they're never allowed to do anything. I did catch that Main Event match between him and Ali, and they did their best to cram some story into what was an otherwise nothing match on a D-show nobody watches. 

Anyway, Ricochet says he's not leaving so there we are. 

• Like 1