DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

3 hours ago, CanadianChris said:

Otis shows up on RAW, and gets title from Drew after a punt or something for a super short run. 

then Miz and Morrison have been outsmarted again by Otis. 

I was thinking since Orton is at 13 World titles (at the moment) that Clash of Champions ends with him winning #14. The next night on Raw, Drew comes out and Claymore kicks his head off.

Otis shows up on Raw, cashes in and wins the belt. Either later that night or at Hell In A Cell, Orton wins #15 from Otis. That way he’s within one of the record, and the briefcase is gone by the end of October. 

McMahon's shitty edgelord topical references to Neverland Ranch and Bill Clinton that were total misses at humor were far more detracting to the experience than Polo wrestling that Jannetty match in a way other than a scared, unathletic manager. Holy shit, 1994-1995 might be the nadir of pre-Michael Cole WWF announcing.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2020 at 2:16 PM, Log said:

When I was a kid, Jake’s DDT was THE death move. A friend asked, “Why doesn’t every wrestler just use the DDT, then?”  I didn’t have a good answer. 

Did your friend grow up to be all modern day professional wrestlers?

5 hours ago, MidnightRider said:

If you were in a shoot ladder match, what would your strategy be?

Not take five seconds to slowly climb each rung when there was no one else in the ring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

McMahon's shitty edgelord topical references to Neverland Ranch and Bill Clinton that were total misses at humor were far more detracting to the experience than Polo wrestling that Jannetty match in a way other than a scared, unathletic manager. Holy shit, 1994-1995 might be the nadir of pre-Michael Cole WWF announcing.

I watched a couple Raws from after IYH: Tripleheader. On the second episode I watched, Vince was so adamant on having folks (for whatever reason, this looks to have been targeted to kids) call in to vote on whether or not OJ Simpson was guilty as the verdict would be announced the next day. They literally spent 60% of the show talking about the poll on commentary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

wasnt there a concerted effort by him to get OJ in to wrestle a PPV?

I wouldn't doubt it because Tonya Harding got like 2 major stories in the Observer and one of them was just about pitches to her from every wrestling promotion in the world. However, after the Search for the Undertaker or w/e the fuck that was the previous year, I would've declared a moratorium on bringing in people who starred in the Naked Gun series.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, MidnightRider said:

If you were in a shoot ladder match, what would your strategy be?

Million Dollar Man style, pay one of the other competitors to do all the heavy lifting, get the briefcase, then hand it to me

Everybody has a price.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

GI Joe figure wrestling federation FTW. And if Tomax & Xamot weren’t your tag champs, your booking is for shit.

I was never able to get my hands on Tomax and Xamot figures, even though I had probably more than 50 figures all together. But that sounds like the most logical booking ever (only Zartan&Zandar comes close, but I never had either of them either). Sgt. Slaughter was unbeatable, but the funny thing was I never knew Slaughter was an actual wrestler, until he showed back up to WWF in fall of '90. 

As for shoot strategy in a (multi man) ladder match, I'd take one bump early on carrying a chair, then lay face down in a corner with the chair until I saw someone grabbing the case, then throw the chair at him and hope that makes the briefcase to fall into my hands without having to climb the ladder once.

13 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

someone mentioned the Johnny Polo/Marty Jannetty match from RAW 1994 a few weeks ago.

Watched it last night and wow, its amazing. Both for it being such a good match ahead of its time, but also having the absolute worst match for the story being told.

Polo's debut match as a manager and then goes out and does a huge amount of high spots and dives in a sprint with Jannetty. And you can tell Vince is pissed on commentary.

Any other matches like this come to mind? HHH/Orton's blood feud resulting in a rest hold filled borefest at Mania another.

Christian vs Chris Jericho at Wrestlemania one year. Fine match in a vacuum, but made no sense for the story they were in. Jericho should have been trying to gouge Christian's eyes out, not trading roll-ups with him.

• Like 1

The first Cactus Jack vs Sabu match from ECW (when Cactus was still a WCW Wrestler but was loaned out as a returned favour). Was actually a very good storytelling match of Cactus showing reluctance, but the fans had built it up in their minds to be an over the top super violent Deathmatch the likes of which had never been seen before (in 1994). So because it was not that, because it was something other than what had been anticipated, at the time it was considered disappointing.

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

However, after the Search for the Undertaker or w/e the fuck that was the previous year, I would've declared a moratorium on bringing in people who starred in the Naked Gun series.

Because you can't get any better than Leslie Nielsen? Yes, agreed!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

If you believe Bruce, Vince wanted to get him to make an appearance during the Backlot Brawl at WM 12.

Also, Russo wanted to have Ronald Goldman fight OJ in a match where Goldman could use any weapon he wanted.

On 9/11/2020 at 2:25 PM, Smelly McUgly said:

Because Jake is the master of the hold. He put hours and hours of practice into dropping a sometimes-struggling opponent at the right spot on their head to knock them out.

A lesser wrestler, or a wrestler who hasn't practiced the intricacies of the move properly, will have a less-effective DDT.

It's like asking why everyone doesn't shoulder roll like Floyd Mayweather Jr. if that's so effective at defending oneself from punches. Well, few people are as talented or practiced at that skill as Mayweather Jr. is. 

That's the way I looked at it and why one guy using another guy's finisher or holds in another match never bothered me. I just looked at it like the guy who didn't win with it wasn't as good at using the move as the guy who finished matches with it. It's like asking, "well 3 pointers are worth more than a dunk in basketball so why doesn't Shaq shoot 3 pointers?"

• Like 3