DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I wonder if Vince wants a cut of the Turner money. Ya know, just cause it's THE COMPETITION and all.

Also: they're doing two of these kinda shows, both with wrestler hosts? And USA already has the one with Miz? Huh.

Didn't Beastmaster have CM Punk and Wade Barrett too? It's the go-to for wrestler-turned-presenters.

8 hours ago, Custos said:

(not to make this a second GIFs thread) On the subject of turning a suplex into something more hurty, I liked Bray's suplex into a toss halfway across the ring. Maybe not as 'damaging' as a brainbuster but visually impressive and quite the physical statement, namely 'I don't give a damn about you and your bodily well-being'.

Reveal hidden contents

fsF9Sk3.gif

Back in like 2001 in PCW there was an Amazing Red vs 'Doomsday' Danny Rose match where Rose did what I can only describe as a release vertical suplex and just launched Red all the way across the ring.  Really neat visual.

NXT UK are doing a Heritage Cup tournament using British/Euro rules

Flash Morgan Webster, Noam Dar, Alexander Wolfe, A-Kid, Dave Mastiff, Joseph Conners and Trent Seven are 7 of the 8 wrestlers announced.

The British Rounds rules are as follows:

• All matches consist of six three-minute rounds.
  • All matches are 2-out-of-3 Falls.
  • Falls can won be won by pinfall, submission or count-out.
  • Once a fall occurs, the round ends.
  • The match ends once a wrestler has won two falls.
  • In the event of a disqualification or knockout, the match instantly ends without the need for two falls.
  • If all six rounds are completed, whomever is ahead on falls wins the match.
  • There will be a 20-second break between each round.

sarcasm mode activated 

I just wanna see IRS pop up in AEW for one night just to laugh at the horde of "Oh look another WWE castoff gets picked up by AEW" posts that'll pop up all over ?

Queue up the "How long til IRS is in line to challenge for a title?" posts lmao

sarcasm deactivated

24 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Back in like 2001 in PCW there was an Amazing Red vs 'Doomsday' Danny Rose match where Rose did what I can only describe as a release vertical suplex and just launched Red all the way across the ring.  Really neat visual.

Lance Archer has done a similar deal I think when he wrestled Marko while AEW was in Georgia.  That was a helluva visual and man was Marko flying all over the place.  Worth checking out.

Late to the suplex talk, but can I nitpick about "deadlift" suplexes where it's impressive because the person executing it isn't getting help? 

In kayfabe, aren't all suplexes "deadlift?"  Does any wrestler have an "opponent-assisted suplex" in their arsenal? 

I haven't seen a sweetass old school double underhook suplex like Harley Race used to pull on Dory Funk, for example, in quite a while.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2020 at 7:28 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Sturgis rally, where Chris Jericho and Fozzy performed, has now reached superspreader event status.

More than 250,000 cases of Covid-19 have been linked to the event.

John Hopkins came out today publicly questioning the accuracy of the study.  Basically, the model the economists who put together study used was weak and their methodology was flawed.  AP was only able to confirm 290 cases of the virus among people who actually attended the event (roughly 500,000 people).  John Hopkins' paper did say that the event did likely cause a spike in cases (presumably not the magnitude the original study claimed).

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-superspreader-johns-hopkins-research-doubt/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

If you can press slam someone in a battle royal, why aren't you immediately eliminating them?

When I was a kid, Jake’s DDT was THE death move. A friend asked, “Why doesn’t every wrestler just use the DDT, then?”  I didn’t have a good answer. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Log said:

When I was a kid, Jake’s DDT was THE death move. A friend asked, “Why doesn’t every wrestler just use the DDT, then?”  I didn’t have a good answer. 

Because Jake is the master of the hold. He put hours and hours of practice into dropping a sometimes-struggling opponent at the right spot on their head to knock them out.

A lesser wrestler, or a wrestler who hasn't practiced the intricacies of the move properly, will have a less-effective DDT.

It's like asking why everyone doesn't shoulder roll like Floyd Mayweather Jr. if that's so effective at defending oneself from punches. Well, few people are as talented or practiced at that skill as Mayweather Jr. is. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Casey said:

Brodie brings in IRS because he wants the Dark Order to be a religion so they can be tax exempt.

I've been yelling about this story line for the Wyatt Family for years, leading up to Corporate~! Bray being managed by his pops