DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Mike Rotunda and Sarah Stock were released earlier. I don't know about Rotunda, but Sarah Stock was furloughed a few months ago because of the pandemic, and now she's officially unemployed.

Hopefully, AEW picks Sarah up as a trainer/part-time wrestler if she's interested.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Watts also could not get Dug-gan vs Doo-gan straight. 

There's a Rat Pack era episode of Mid-South where Watts makes a point of saying that it's actually pronounced Duggan, but by the next episode he's back to pronouncing it Doogan.

To circle back on something, I can sort of see what you're saying on the snapdragon, in the sense that the thing about the Everest German that makes it tick is that it's actually the opposite, it's a slower than usual build up where you hang in the air, like a disaster movie, where everyone knows it's about to hit but we get that moment where you see it and can't do anything about it. That's what makes it a cool variant.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Wasn't Rotunda on that list of like 30 people that got released/furloughed earlier this year? If so, ouch.

Yeah. He was on an episode of The Bump (or whatever the hell their online show is) on Tax Day in April and his furlough/release was put out on the wire while he was on the show or literally right after.

8 hours ago, Zimbra said:

You know what I respect a lot more now than when I was a kid?  A delayed vertical suplex.  Not only does it take some strength from the dude doing the move, but the person taking it also has to keep themselves straight upright and that takes some core muscles.

I was gonna say the delayed vertical suplex, used to see them all the time now not so much. More big guys should use them to show off their strength 

• Like 1

Here's my problem with the delayed vertical suplex: once you've got your opponent up in that position, with that kind of control, why would you just drop back for a regular suplex? Why wouldn't you hit a brainbuster, or a jackhammer, or drop them on their face?

This is why it drives me up the wall when Tomohiro Ishii does a delayed vertical suplex. His finisher is a brainbuster!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MapRef41N93W said:

Here's my problem with the delayed vertical suplex: once you've got your opponent up in that position, with that kind of control, why would you just drop back for a regular suplex? Why wouldn't you hit a brainbuster, or a jackhammer, or drop them on their face?

This is why it drives me up the wall when Tomohiro Ishii does a delayed vertical suplex. His finisher is a brainbuster!

Their Finisher meter isn’t up all the way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 9

16 minutes ago, MapRef41N93W said:

If you can press slam someone in a battle royal, why aren't you immediately eliminating them?

• Like 6

Another thing great about the Everest German (I'm used to calling it the deadlift German) , especially when a small guy does it on a larger opponent, is all the amazing visuals aside, the extraordinary strength it must take to complete the move properly.

The opponent can do their best not to sandbag and be as co-operative as possible, but the best visual moment is probably really physically taxing to pull off. At that moment when the opponent "realizes he or she can do nothing about it " they can't literally do anything to help the person doing the move (they can ruin the move at basically any moment, but they can't make it easier ).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

If you can press slam someone in a battle royal, why aren't you immediately eliminating them?

I came up with three kayfabe reasons for this :

1) People are in your way. If you press someone over your head and rush to the ropes you can't defend yourself while doing it. So you just dump them back down.

2) A damn show-off! You just want to show to the crowd and other opponents how strong you are so backdafucup! Worry about eliminations later.

3) Just plain bad strategy. Who ever trained you, forgot to tell some really important keys to victory. These guys might do well getting in touch with a manager.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sydneybrown said:

I only brought it up because Bulldog pressing Ric Flair over his head at Rumble 92 and then just slamming him has always been my one weakness to the match (aside from Savage eliminating himself by accident but getting to come back anyway.)  #3 sounds about right in this scenario.  

Yeah, that was one of the times I remember that happening too. At least Barbarian tried to dump Flair over with the press, but he was cut-off  (see #1) . Yeah, but there was a good reason why Bulldog sought after Jim Cornette's advice a few years later. He was like "man, this shit just isn't working out for me, somehow!"

2 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I only brought it up because Bulldog pressing Ric Flair over his head at Rumble 92 and then just slamming him has always been my one weakness to the match (aside from Savage eliminating himself by accident but getting to come back anyway.)  #3 sounds about right in this scenario.  

The 40 man battle royal on my first coliseum video that I played and played to death (US rampage 92) had Bulldog military press a Beverly Brother and throw him into the other Beverly Brother on the outside as the finish, so at least they learned their lesson. But maybe that’s because #1 wasn’t a factor as the ring was cleared by that point. Kayfabe explanations

9 minutes ago, Custos said:

The 40 man battle royal on my first coliseum video that I played and played to death (US rampage 92) had Bulldog military press a Beverly Brother and throw him into the other Beverly Brother on the outside as the finish, so at least they learned their lesson. But maybe that’s because #1 wasn’t a factor as the ring was cleared by that point. Kayfabe explanations

Exactly! He was like "I HAD Flair,  I had him,  and I blew it! " Especially since Flair eliminated him and ended up winning. But yeah, it's true that they were the last two in the ring in that battle royal with one of the Beverly Brothers, so #1 didn't mess his plans!

Edited by Shartnado
clarification

(not to make this a second GIFs thread) On the subject of turning a suplex into something more hurty, I liked Bray's suplex into a toss halfway across the ring. Maybe not as 'damaging' as a brainbuster but visually impressive and quite the physical statement, namely 'I don't give a damn about you and your bodily well-being'.

Spoiler

fsF9Sk3.gif

Edited by Custos
  • Like 8