DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

XmuZL5N.gif

omega-okada-3-gif.gif?w=1110

Uranage Suplex please and thank you.

Honourable mentions to the Butterfly Suplex, the Danielson Special and the Regal Plex.

Is it bad that I think Kenny does it better than a certain movie star? Hell I don’t recall any Rock Bottom ever looking that crisp, or impactful. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

'My least favorite suplex is when it was called a suplay by Watts or Solie or the amateur wrestling smart mark who sits next to me at work. I know it's grammatically correct but it sounds terrible.

Gordon Solie is the only person I will respect calling it a 'suplay' without it sounding like a weird affectation.

You know what I respect a lot more now than when I was a kid?  A delayed vertical suplex.  Not only does it take some strength from the dude doing the move, but the person taking it also has to keep themselves straight upright and that takes some core muscles.

RE: The uranage the way Hase torques his body around to put some snap on it is what makes it for me.  Good, good stuff.

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Gordon Solie is the only person I will respect calling it a 'suplay' without it sounding like a weird affectation.

You know what I respect a lot more now than when I was a kid?  A delayed vertical suplex.  Not only does it take some strength from the dude doing the move, but the person taking it also has to keep themselves straight upright and that takes some core muscles.

Not a fan of the French?

The Delayed Vertical has been upgraded by Santana and Ortiz. Tagging in and out and passing the guy between them while holding him upside down, despite having a pronounced height difference... that's impressive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joseph2112 said:

'My least favorite suplex is when it was called a suplay by Watts or Solie or the amateur wrestling smart mark who sits next to me at work. I know it's grammatically correct but it sounds terrible.

Solie would also pronounce it soufflé, but that was after a few nips from the bottle of Seagram's 7 he kept under the desk. 

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Jiji said:

This is his strength. He should be booking super indie shows for GCW (or even AEW). He is an excellent promoter. 

This is why I get sort of angry when people shit on Janela for even being a part of AEW. Even if you're not a fan of his in-ring, you would have to be insane to deny his scouting and promoting abilities.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Naw, had to be VO. I can see Gordon being a scotch man if not that. 

I had an algebra teacher in high school who’d take a few sips of Seagram’s 7 throughout the day, so I always figured it was meant for middle aged man day drinking. Also I always pegged Gordon as someone who was thrifty, so if he was a scotch man it had to be Cutty. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

With this year being what it's been, I've had to rely on re-watching pro-wrestling mostly to get through most days. I'd say this entire re-watching has truly made me change my appreciation for most wrestlers -- I'd say Bryan Danielson, Chicky Starr, Rollerball Rocco, Yuki Ishikawa and Victor Zangiev are five wrestlers I'd feel more than comfortable putting in my top 10 now and I'd say my top 10 would be Hansen (mostly for due to his 90's All Japan run), Terry Funk (mostly due to his late 70's and early 80's All Japan work), Danielson (he's been incredible every time I've seen him this year and re-watching his old Ring of Honor matches and they hold up perfectly), Chicky (mostly for his late 80's and early 90's WWC work), Zangiev (unfortunately his time in pro-wrestling was very brief and there's only a handful of matches of his, but I really enjoyed him in every single one of them), Bret (mostly due to his 90's WWF run), Rey Jr. (mostly due to his early 90's AAA run, his WCW run and his recent series with Andrade), Ishikawa (mostly due to his rivalry with Ikeda), Santo Jr. (the greatest luchador of all-time in my opinion with endless classics spun across different years) and Rollerball (he's not the best of the World of Sport British wrestling era, but he's the one I loved the most and he was an absolute bump freak who wouldn't mind bleeding in ASW).

Edited by Edwin

I like that Rollerball Rocco shout. Great bumper.

I'm also a guy who would have the Hitman in my top ten, actually on my top five. He's sort of an underrated bumper, actually, but beyond that, he's enduring. It's hard to get away from stuff that you saw and loved as a kid, but I think that Bret's just that good. I saw Bret/Owen Ironman this year and it was really good and reminded me how great he was.

The guy who has climbed the most on my personal list during COVID is Liger. I went down a tunnel watching random Liger a couple months back and he's firmly a top ten guy for me. He's an athletic freak with great timing and elite-level body language and charisma who was consistently awesome for decades. That's probably all obvious stuff, but it really hit me how good he was for how long after spending hours watching a bunch of his stuff this summer.

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

I never realized how much of a body mark I was back then. I liked Misawa, Kawada, and Kobashi a ton, but I liked Akiyama more because he was cut and looked like he was in peak physical condition. I also largely dislike Taue because he always looked like a big, goofy, soft, oaf of a wrestler.

And back then, AJPW announcers > NJPW announcers.

It is an upper body business Craig so it makes sense ?

I'm a fan of PAC's deadlift German since he's a jacked little dude so it always looked cool. I've always liked Makabe's spider german too.

Does Dave Taylor's Fallaway Slam that he would bridge into a pin count? If so, count that one.

I think the snap dragon looks odd because it's so fast it doesn't look like you get a lot of impact on it. And when Riho did them to Nyla Rose earlier this year it really took me out of the match. I wish someone would use the dragon suplex as an actual finish again, it's a badass move that deserves to be elevated back.

• Like 1