DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

the Vader/Inoki "how his chin hit his solar plexus" suplex is delightful.

My personal favorite suplex is also my favorite wrestling move of all time and my defacto "move I give my self-insert create-a-wrassler since forever": Maeda's Capture Suplex.

Runner up is Hideki Suzuki's Double Arm Suplex, which looks like utter hell and has all the historical legacy of catch wrestling and Robinson's Double Arm to go along side it.

Third place is Doug Williams' Chaos Theory, which still looks supernatural.

• Like 2

so basically, if Joe & Kamala win, Yang thinks he might be in a position next year to actually do something about WWE's independent contractor status for their performers. And he seems pretty serious about it.

• Like 8

As I said in a recent post that got lost in the shuffle, a good belly to back or backdrop suplex is wonderful, I was always partial to the way Eddie Guerrero would throw it. 

Exploder suplexes need to go for a while, everyone and their mom throws one and they're usually not hurty looking at all.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Exploder suplexes need to go for a while, everyone and their mom throws one and they're usually not hurty looking at all.

Most people nowadays treat it like a fallaway slam bump. Some treat it like an overhead belly-to-belly bump. Pretty much no one (in the west at least) treats it like the inverted Saito suplex bump it's supposed to be any more...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nofuture said:

It does say something about the level of respect that Brisco warranted to receive that call from Vince himself instead of Paul or whatever corporate executive of talent relations toadie is in charge of making those calls.

And while he is always incredibly sycophantic as a talking head in WWE-produced documentaries, he does seem like one of the more fun and more positive "old man wrestler" Twitter follows.

• Like 3

The Exploder was one of my favorite moves in the late 90s/early 00s. Taz looked badass doing it. Akiyama's was awesome. Just now remembering that Akiyama was one of my favorite wrestlers back then.

EXPLOIDAAAAAAAAH~!!!!

Favorite wrestler that wasn't Austin, Eddie, or Benoit (at the time anyway), favorite move, favorite call.

• Like 3

Considering suplexes (which is a phrase that I love) has made me realize that while yes, they're among my favorite, uh...genre(?) of moves in pro wrestling overall, I might prefer when folks alter them into busters. Love a good Brainbuster. Love a Fisherman's Buster. Love a Michinoku Driver #1.

Does anyone do something similar with a Northern Lights setup? Northern Lights Bomb is also awesome, but a different setup. I will not argue with Hokuto if her opinion differs on the matter, though. I used to use it as a finisher in an efed, so clearly deserve credit for inventing it if no one actually does it!

• Like 1

I never realized how much of a body mark I was back then. I liked Misawa, Kawada, and Kobashi a ton, but I liked Akiyama more because he was cut and looked like he was in peak physical condition. I also largely dislike Taue because he always looked like a big, goofy, soft, oaf of a wrestler.

And back then, AJPW announcers > NJPW announcers.

46 minutes ago, The Natural said:

XmuZL5N.gif

omega-okada-3-gif.gif?w=1110

Uranage Suplex please and thank you.

Honourable mentions to the Butterfly Suplex, the Danielson Special and the Regal Plex.

The Golden Arm Bomber really is a thing of beauty.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Shane said:

Considering suplexes (which is a phrase that I love) has made me realize that while yes, they're among my favorite, uh...genre(?) of moves in pro wrestling overall, I might prefer when folks alter them into busters. Love a good Brainbuster. Love a Fisherman's Buster. Love a Michinoku Driver #1.

Does anyone do something similar with a Northern Lights setup? Northern Lights Bomb is also awesome, but a different setup. I will not argue with Hokuto if her opinion differs on the matter, though. I used to use it as a finisher in an efed, so clearly deserve credit for inventing it if no one actually does it!

I was going to say that while Fisherman's Suplex is great, I prefer Fisherman's Buster, so you are definitely on to something.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Bret's vertical was beautiful - seemed more impactful than a regular vertical

That's one of those great examples of Bret doing all of the little things perfectly. When he lifts them and begins to rotate over he seemingly just floats off of his  feet when dropping them down. It looks so good when he does it and it makes a great sound.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Bret's vertical was beautiful - seemed more impactful than a regular vertical

25 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That's one of those great examples of Bret doing all of the little things perfectly. When he lifts them and begins to rotate over he seemingly just floats off of his  feet when dropping them down. It looks so good when he does it and it makes a great sound.

To add to this, I always liked how Bret Hart let out a groan of exertion when he does that standing suplex. Bret Hart really was and still is the Excellence of Execution.

• Like 1