DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

12 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

but yeah, I'm a sucker for a good "unbreakable/uncounterable hold" storyline.  Takes a promotion-wide commitment, but the result is well worth it.

It whips ass when it's done right but sometimes you end with Erik Watts' killer STF instead.

When it's an actual submission hold it seems to be better suited to heels. 

One would think unbreakable pinning combinations would also be the dedicated face variant (after all, what could possibly be more technico than a superior display of wrestling skill that guarantees defeat without injury?) but here we are, with the best known "modern" example being the predominantly heel Hennig

Whereas the "out of nowhere" ace in the hole miracle killshot move -- DDT, Diamond Cutter -- is fairly neutral

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

For people that remember when there was an actual weekend of Wrestlemania shows in 2019, one of the most legendary awful shows came from a promotion called Blackcraft Wrestling.  The makers of the company created a 1 hour documentary that talked about the companies history and the show that was so bad that it basically killed the company.  And if you thought it was a disaster before, imagine if they actually did what they wanted to

FWIW, I didn’t think the Blackcraft show in Pittsburgh was that bad. ??‍♂️

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Why are we talking about dumb twitter shit when we could be talking about, I dunno, suplexes?

You know what's a good suplex?  Northern lights.  Pretty much always looks good, you can bridge it into a pin or do that Minoru Tanaka floatover thing.

Northern lights, you are my Suplex Of The Day.

My favourite has always been the Dragon Suplex (Also known as the Full Nelson Slam (TM Michael Cole last Monday, though to be fair to him, it's hard to call the move when you're not allowed to say suplex anymore..Maybe Dragon Throw? Full Nelson Throw?). When I was young and had a wrestling league with GI Joes (Way more suited to wrestling moves than any sort of wrestling figure!), I invented the Full Nelson suplex for one of my GI Joe wrestlers and always wondered why no one did it, before figuring it would probably break somebody's neck.  Years later when I actually saw it pulled off, it blew my mind. Although, bizarrely, I've never really enjoyed Kenny Omega's snap dragons.  Don't know why. Maybe because he throws them around so fast and never beats anyone with them?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Peck said:

FWIW, I didn’t think the Blackcraft show in Pittsburgh was that bad. ??‍♂️

The one in Pittsburgh was the good one. The disastrous one was in New York, Mania Week 2019. Where they had to have something like ten matches in less than 20 minutes.

Today I learned that Crazzy Steve from Impact is legally blind, and has been for his whole career. Which is pretty mindblowing. I remember after the Hardy's left Impact, Steve also disappeared and it was assumed the Hardy's had put a word in with Vince to sign him, but then he never actually went (and wound up back in Impact eventually). So maybe that's why.

13 minutes ago, caley said:

My favourite has always been the Dragon Suplex (Also known as the Full Nelson Slam (TM Michael Cole last Monday, though to be fair to him, it's hard to call the move when you're not allowed to say suplex anymore..Maybe Dragon Throw? Full Nelson Throw?)

Are they really not allowed to say suplex anymore? It wouldn't surprise me at this point. On a random WWE commentary note I watched the 2008 Royal Rumble match for the first time a few days ago and could not believe they had a six man announce team for that match. Who thought that was a good idea?

As for suplexes I do love the Northern Lights and all its variations.

18 minutes ago, StevieNippz said:

Are they really not allowed to say suplex anymore? It wouldn't surprise me at this point. On a random WWE commentary note I watched the 2008 Royal Rumble match for the first time a few days ago and could not believe they had a six man announce team for that match. Who thought that was a good idea?

As for suplexes I do love the Northern Lights and all its variations.

I don't know for certain (And these things seem to change by the week), but I noticed during Riddle's matches they go very much out of their way to call them "throws" and not suplexes. I think they use it if it's kind of tied to the name (i.e. German Suplex, or Superplex) but most of the other variations are just called "Throws". And, yes, this past week Ricochet and Alexander threw a Dragon (I can't remember who hit it on whom) and Michael Cole called it at Full Nelson Slam.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I would say the greatest suplex is the EVEREST (deadlift) German Suplex.

I really dug Tamon Honda's deadlift german since he wasn't as physically imposing as Takayama or Nakanishi. He was just a surly old bastard using his old man strength to dump you on your neck.

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 1

I was always partial to John Nord's forward (?) suplex, where he picks guys up in a vertical suplex, but drops them on their chest instead. Used it as his finish for a minute as the Berserker, before they switched him to the toss over the top rope.

• Like 1

You're not allowed to say "suplex" anymore? Oh, c'mon! Anyway, plenty of awesome versions already mentioned  (Dragon, Northern Lights, Deadlift German) I'd add Cobra Clutch suplex to that list.

Yay for wrestling with G.I. Joes, BTW!

I do think that "throw" is a suitable replacement for "suplex" if there needs to be one! This would have been my suggestion in Finnish translation when it came to subtitling SmackDown into Finnish. At one time that was to be the subject of my thesis, but that never ended up happening.

For the record, the translator at the time did exceptionally well for himself for something that had never been attempted to be translated into Finnish prior to that.

• Like 1