DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

AJ was in TNA for what felt like approximately 762 years, so if you did GIS him, you might have had to crawl through quite a few pictures just to see that logo which honestly, I don't love the design of.

Now this? This is a dope-ass design:

bddc5e25203657f0bc3ebbd2535d0c2f.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

AJ was in TNA for what felt like approximately 762 years, so if you did GIS him, you might have had to crawl through quite a few pictures just to see that logo which honestly, I don't love the design of.

Now this? This is a dope-ass design:

bddc5e25203657f0bc3ebbd2535d0c2f.jpg

Fun fact, Jerry Lawler was the one who designed that logo for Bret.

• Thanks 6

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Fun fact, Jerry Lawler was the one who designed that logo for Bret.

I think I knew this, and I think it's because Bret said so in his book. 

That's a good piece of work from Lawler.

8 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I think I knew this, and I think it's because Bret said so in his book. 

That's a good piece of work from Lawler.

Yep, Bret's book is my source on that. Apparently he designed it as a logo for the minor league hockey team that Bret was part owner of. Bret then started incorporating it into his ring gear.

1 minute ago, cwoy2j said:

Yep, Bret's book is my source on that. Apparently he designed it as a logo for the minor league hockey team that Bret was part owner of. Bret then started incorporating it into his ring gear.

The Calgary Hitmen!

• Like 3

Is a ref not counting the three when it's clear that one of the wrestlers is going to forget to kick out a modern wrestling thing?

I hate it and it's terrible and I don't remember ever seeing it outside of a match in, like, the New '10s.

Yeah, we need to go back to that. There are few things as immersion-breaking as a ref showing a two-count when it's absolutely clear that there was no kickout.

Book around the fuck up.

Speaking of "book around the fuck up," I saw that Matt Hardy shit, and it's criminal. Like, legit, Matt should be able to sue whoever was responsible for stopping the match for a healthy sum, and he should win. 

Wrestling is depressing. 

• Like 1

Earl did that exact thing at the end of an otherwise great Rock/Kurt Angle match at a 2000 or early 2001 PPV. I think he did again later on, so it's definitely been around longer than the 2010s.

It sucks. What sucks just as much are referees, primarily in Japan, who do a  delayed 3rd count so the wrestler can kick out on the third beat for the near fall. Fuck that. 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Anecdotally, it seems like refs were trained/told to treat pitfalls as shoots and it was the wrestlers fault if they did not kick out when they supposed to do so. 

WWE does this. It how Dana Brooke managed to accidentally win a singles match against Bayley several years ago.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I dislike when referees take ten seconds to count to 3.  Earl Hebner was the worst with his slow ass counts.  Some of the referees in NJPW are way too slow as well.  Just give me a nice smooth 1-2-3..  no hesitations..well paced follow through. 

That is a lucha libre tradition, sir. Sometimes I feel like I've acclimatized and then a ref is feeling extra deliberate and I'm just awe struck.

It depends on whether the ref knows what the finish is or not. But then there's always the chance that either the wrestler getting pinned forgets the finish and doesn't kickout of what's supposed to be a nearfall (or the tag partner doesn't get there to break it up in time), or equally the ref forgetting when the finish is and counting 1-2-no when they don't get the shoulder up. Allegedly there is a trick some wrestlers do while being covered and counted, where they look at the ref if it's a nearfall and look up at the ceiling if it's the finish. But that seems like more of a bad habit than a good one.

41 minutes ago, Jiji said:

That is a lucha libre tradition, sir. Sometimes I feel like I've acclimatized and then a ref is feeling extra deliberate and I'm just awe struck.

At least in Lucha, you sometimes have excuse of it being a rudo ref like Tirantes to explain it. (Or they are ancient like Pompin.)

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Earl did that exact thing at the end of an otherwise great Rock/Kurt Angle match at a 2000 or early 2001 PPV. I think he did again later on, so it's definitely been around longer than the 2010s.

It sucks. What sucks just as much are referees, primarily in Japan, who do a  delayed 3rd count so the wrestler can kick out on the third beat for the near fall. Fuck that. 

Joe Higuchi and his absolutely perfect 3 count(it was 3 seconds on the dot) are needed more than ever. Or you can have one of those ECW refs that counted to 3 as fast as they possibly could if it was the finish.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

At least in Lucha, you sometimes have excuse of it being a rudo ref like Tirantes to explain it. (Or they are ancient like Pompin.)

I preferred the fat ref from later period World of Sport who would just point and count while standing like a goof.