DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

If he's just cracking down on talent using their shoot characters to make money on the side, I don't have a big issue with it.  It's unfortunate for talent, but WWE does own the shoot names/characters and it's a basic step took that most media and entertainment companies take to protect their ip's.

Today, I learned that Eoae doesn't know what "shoot" means.

Paul Wight is his shoot name. Big Show is his gimmick name. WWE doesn't own his shoot name and character, that would be slavery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, AxB said:

Paul Wight is his shoot name. Big Show is his gimmick name. WWE doesn't own his shoot name and character, that would be slavery.

Eh, I know the difference.  Just tired and made a dumb typo.  I fixed it.

Thanks for catching it.

Edited by Eoae
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Wouldn't surprise me! Foley would probably be really bummed out about that, but Nash I don't see giving a single solitary fuck about losing his HOF status over this.

"I got a check, a trip to see old friends, a nice dinner...and I left the cheap plaque in the hotel room." ~ Paul Orndorff (this was before they started giving rings)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Casey said:

I get that WWE owns the IP, but Big E making a few thousand a month off the fruits of his labor by doing a simple video message isn't hurting the ultra rich WWE or the billionaire Vince McMahon.

This isn’t meant to be insulting, but it doesn’t seem that you do get it, or at least what it means that they own it. If they’re aware of someone else profiting off of the use of their IP, WWE has a duty to their shareholders to stop it. If they didn’t, they could potentially open themselves up to lawsuits or dilute their ability to subsequently protect the IP. It literally is harming them in the legal sense.  Plus, I imagine if you added up all the money the entire roster made off Cameo this year, it would be a considerable amount.  If Chris Evans or Michael B Jordan started up a side hustle charging money to show up places dressed up as Johnny Storm without Disney’s ok, they would also shut it down.  I don’t think a ban on referencing the characters that they play on TV would hold up legally (IMO, it would be similar to saying they couldn’t list themselves on IMDB), but otherwise this isn’t even remotely in the top ten of shitty things WWE/Vince has done.

Vince/WWE probably became aware of how much people like Big E were making in Cameo (or Roman/Alexa(iirc), who apparently increased their price because they were getting too many requests at their original price) and figured they should be getting a cut of that. Perhaps finding out that Rusev left and is just a Twitch streamer now opened his eyes. Who knows.

Edited by JonnyLaw
  • Like 2

The Twitch stuff is likely a combination of Styles revealing on his stream that he tested positive for Rona, and his page is plastered with his  P1 logos.  And then there's Woods and Breeze on Woods' stream watching ECW Hardcore TV from The Network.  Then there's whatever the hell tin foil hat shit Black and his boys were doing on his and Vega's shared stream.  They're doing that for the most part on their stage names.

So in that case, i can see WWE cracking down even though I don't agree with or even believe they have the right to try cutting off Contractor's side hustles when they're not having anything to do with any competitors.  

Like, there's no way they could justify touching Cesaro, Cole, Kai, Duke, or Baszler as they do it under screen names or their real name and pretty much go out of their way to avoid talking about wrestling on stream if they ca help it.

13 hours ago, Casey said:

And since WWE themselves mentioned wanting to be like Disney - RDJ or Chris Evans don't need to do Cameo, and if they ever do, they don't need to be Iron Man or Captain America, because they're well compensated for their labor.

another major point of differentation

actors are credited under their real names. actors give interviews, as themselves, about the character. they are allowed to talk about past gigs. they can build a resume so that fans can recognize them.

WWE Superstars (TM) are only known or referred to by their character's name. they can't do interviews or podcasts, either as themselves or their characters, without WWE's permission (which they will not get). they can't reference past jobs. in short, they essentially are not allowed to build up their "shoot" name. this is WWE's way of ensuring that the only things of value belong to WWE.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 9:32 PM, OSJ said:

Actually not true. Withdrawal from drugs won't kill you , but you will wish you were dead. Conversely, withdrawal from alcohol CAN kill you... 

Ah ok. I just remember hearing that withdrawing from anything without medical supervision was really dangerous and I'd always heard alcohol withdrawal could be lethal. Just assumed that drugs would be the same.

13 hours ago, AxB said:

I think he had to sign over his real name. That was one of the concessions he made for his IRONCLAD CONTRACT.

QPTweEq.gif

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Wait, what is this? 

Black is on team Storm Area 51 and him and a guest or friend or whatever did 4 hours on Aliens are real and the government covers it up and all that. 

And Black and Vega share a Twitch account using their gimmick names.

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

Black is on team Storm Area 51 and him and a guest or friend or whatever did 4 hours on Aliens are real and the government covers it up and all that. 

And Black and Vega share a Twitch account using their gimmick names.

Gotcha. Since so many people are on tin-foil hat shit at the moment, I had to ask. If they're just space weirdos, I find that downright quaint. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Ah ok. I just remember hearing that withdrawing from anything without medical supervision was really dangerous and I'd always heard alcohol withdrawal could be lethal. Just assumed that drugs would be the same.

I don't know about lethality, I suppose it depends exactly what it is and how much you've been taking, but it's still fucking hell.

51 minutes ago, twiztor said:

another major point of differentation

actors are credited under their real names. actors give interviews, as themselves, about the character. they are allowed to talk about past gigs. they can build a resume so that fans can recognize them.

WWE Superstars (TM) are only known or referred to by their character's name. they can't do interviews or podcasts, either as themselves or their characters, without WWE's permission (which they will not get). they can't reference past jobs. in short, they essentially are not allowed to build up their "shoot" name. this is WWE's way of ensuring that the only things of value belong to WWE.

this is on of the really unique things about wrestling. Kinda goes back to Hulk Hogans Gawker lawsuit (with Terry Bollea appearing on the Howard Stern show as Hulk Hogan). Sylvester Stallone doesn't do appearances or press as Rocky Balboa or John Rambo but Hulk Hogan or in this case Big E usually appear in public in character

19 minutes ago, zendragon said:

this is on of the really unique things about wrestling. Kinda goes back to Hulk Hogans Gawker lawsuit (with Terry Bollea appearing on the Howard Stern show as Hulk Hogan). Sylvester Stallone doesn't do appearances or press as Rocky Balboa or John Rambo but Hulk Hogan or in this case Big E usually appear in public in character

In Hogan’s case doesn’t he own the rights to the Hulk Hogan name anyhow? I know he was able to have a different company release action figures of him despite WWE having a deal with Mattel. 

Plus the figures (if I’m not mistaken) were released at a time when he was no longer under a WWE legends or performer deal. 

Just now, zendragon said:

I believe he personally licensed The Hulk name from Marvel comics about 15 years ago. But my point was more about guys using gimmick names in setting that actors wouldn't 

I get your point, and I’m sorry if I hijacked it on you. I was just curious on the whole Hulk Hogan name rights portion (as to whether he or Vince owned it). 

• Like 1

I would legally change my name to my shoot name just to piss Vince off if I were making serious money from my online shit.

If it comes to the worst, what does he do? Fire me? OK, I'll just take my profitable online venture to AEW when the no-compete runs out. Thanks. 

• Like 1

Playing Fire Pro and having a moment to appreciate a well-executed backdrop/belly to back suplex. I know we've gone down the rabbit hole on punches and missile dropkicks, but man, seeing somebody like Eddie Guerrero bust out that gorgeous and hurty backdrop? Shit's magnificent. Of course, there's the concern of neck and head trauma, but honestly I prefer a good Saito suplex to a german when it comes to looking both impactful and being more safe. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Plus, I imagine if you added up all the money the entire roster made off Cameo this year, it would be a considerable amount.

Yeah, probably what WWE spends on catering in a year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I would legally change my name to my shoot name just to piss Vince off if I were making serious money from my online shit.

If it comes to the worst, what does he do? Fire me? OK, I'll just take my profitable online venture to AEW when the no-compete runs out. Thanks. 

Do you mean like 'The Warrior' Warrior Warrior? FKA Jim Hellwig, AKA the Ultimate Warrior. He wanted to be able to use the name 'Warrior' on merch and stuff outside of the WWF, so he changed his names to Warrior. Both of them. He could have been Jim Warrior or Warrior Hellwig, but nope. Warrior Warrior. That's why his Widow is Dana Warrior now. It's actually her name.

Edited by AxB