DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

13 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Wouldn't surprise me! Foley would probably be really bummed out about that, but Nash I don't see giving a single solitary fuck about losing his HOF status over this.

Yeah Nash could care less what Vince or anyone thinks about now at this point of his life.    One of the things that makes him so cool on Twitter unless you are  MAGA guy.  

The problem with Foley is that he is made strong stances before and they backed off almost immediately when he realizes that it doesn't help him or his family cause.  Given that I think his son still works for the WWE in some way I doubt this opinion will last long.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Yeah Nash could care less what Vince or anyone thinks about now at this point of his life.    One of the things that makes him so cool on Twitter unless you are  MAGA guy.  

The problem with Foley is that he is made strong stances before and they backed off almost immediately when he realizes that it doesn't help him or his family cause.  Given that I think his son still works for the WWE in some way I doubt this opinion will last long.

Absolutely true on Foley. Especially, considering Dewey. Nash would probably just laugh straight to their faces so hard he'd tear a quad, but not back down.

You'd think Foley is pretty much as set as Nash is at this point, but he has to think about his son's career, too.

Like that time he left after Montreal.

Or in 2001 because he didn't like the creative direction over something he wasn't actively involved in.

Or 2005 when he reneged on a heap of ROH/overseas tours to resign with Vince after making a big deal about honouring his word.

Or 2008 because he got yelled at.

Or 2011 when he left TNA 

Or 2014 when he complained about his legends contract and did the smashed TV over Daniel Bryan, but was back in months. 

He's Michael Moore with CTE.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

Colby Corino wrestled Mansoor on 205 Live yesterday, apparently. Did Steve Corino ever wrestle for WWE?

Some dark matches and a handful of matches on Shotgun Saturday Night. IIRC, the Kofi vs Corino match ended up on the Network. 

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=315&view=&page=4&gimmick=&year=&promotion=1&region=&location=&arena=&showtype=&constellationType=&worker=

Edited by Andy in Kansas

27 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Some dark matches and a handful of matches on Shotgun Saturday Night. IIRC, the Kofi vs Corino match ended up on the Network. 

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=315&view=&page=4&gimmick=&year=&promotion=1&region=&location=&arena=&showtype=&constellationType=&worker=

Interesting to note there's not a lot there to give credence to the Fake 123 Kid rumour too.

7 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Really not looking forward to some local talent jobber named Andy Yang getting squashed by Baron Corbin while Michael Cole and Corey Graves scream "what a universal basic inconvenience, he should stick to his day job".

They have Ryan Tran, real name Brian Nguyen on Smackdown as a referee. He used to be a pro wrestler, they'll make him do it and just say he's Yang because Vince thinks he's Chinese even though he's not. They never once thought to call Jimmy Yang because Vince forgot. And he's Korean, but that never stopped them from trying to pretend he was Japanese.

19 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

Come on, can you find a more thorough investigation in recent memory especially considering their resources and deep pockets? 

Ring Of Honor's investigation into the Taeler Hendrix/Jay Lethal allegations? Ring Of Honor's investigation into the Bully Ray allegations? Ring Of Honors investigation into the Marty Scurll allegations (that he actually admitted were true)? 

10 hours ago, Ryan said:

Maybe he'll just up and die one of these days. He's 75 and his dad died at 69, so who knows.

Vince's mother is still alive. 

3 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Foley and Nash are gonna find the line where guys start getting booted from the Hall of Fame, aren't they?

Or they'll get booked for a very special episode of Raw, and suddenly stop talking about all of this once the checks clear.

Did I miss someone posting their hilarious press release today? 

Much like Disney and Warner Bros., WWE creates, promotes and invests in its intellectual property, i.e. the stage names of performers like The Fiend Bray Wyatt, Roman Reigns, Big E and Braun Strowman. It is the control and exploitation of these characters that allows WWE to drive revenue, which in turn enables the company to compensate performers at the highest levels in the sports entertainment industry. Notwithstanding the contractual language, it is imperative for the success of our company to protect our greatest assets and establish partnerships with third parties on a companywide basis, rather than at the individual level, which as a result will provide more value for all involved.
  • Haha 4

Notwithstanding the contractual language, it is imperative for the success of our company to protect our greatest assets and establish partnerships with third parties on a companywide basis, rather than at the individual level, which as a result will provide more value for all involved.

Ok, I'm setting the o/u at 5 for the # of hours it took to construct this bullshit ass, cockamamie sentence and then get it cleared through legal.

• Like 4

I bought a subscription to Wrestling Universe primarily for Noah but I decided to check out a DDT show last night and into today. Ultimate Party 2019 has been part fever dream, part wrestling show. I was never bored. I love the true unexpected in wrestling. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Wouldn't surprise me! Foley would probably be really bummed out about that, but Nash I don't see giving a single solitary fuck about losing his HOF status over this.

One thing about Nash is he never has a problem voicing his mind about WWE, even his boys. He's he insinuated that his last run with Punk , That Hunter put him in a position to make him look bad. He's mentioned that his return in WWE that Vince held it against him and Hall about leaving in 96. There are times he defends or makes excuses for WWE and Hunter and Vince but he doesn't come across as a guy thats butters up because he's afraid to burn a bridge like most legends. Like Bischoff burying AEW then he got to appear on the show and now he's more neutral between WWE and AEW.

It's easy for these Legends and Alumni to come to the Boys and Girls defense now and egg them on to stand up to Vince over this stuff. It's what should be done obviously but It should've been done long ago even when these guys were in their prime and the business was healthy and even not healthy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

So, they are saying that Windham Rotunda posting as Bray Wyatt is the same as Chris Evans posting as Captain America or Matthew Perry posting as Chandler Bing?? 

Yes, and there is merit to their claim. However, this will be the nail in the coffin of whatever shred of kayfabe still exists, as now instead of “Hey, this is Big E, here’s your Cameo,” it will be “Hey, this is Ettor, I play Big E on Smackdown, here’s your Cameo.” If this is enforced, it will create further separation between the real person and the character, which in turn will likely create even less buy-in from fans, while also helping to build the person’s non-WWE brand.  

TL;DR: This is a tone deaf move, even without considering the obvious independent contractors issues.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Or 2005 when he reneged on a heap of ROH/overseas tours to resign with Vince after making a big deal about honouring his word.

i was at the overseas tour (in Australia). i think Matt Hardy was also supposed to be there but at the time I was more dissapointed that Super Dragon also no showed and instead of Dragon vs Samoa Joe (which to me was pretty much the greatest thing imaginable at the time) we got Joe vs Test.

14 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Yes, and there is merit to their claim. However, this will be the nail in the coffin of whatever shred of kayfabe still exists, as now instead of “Hey, this is Big E, here’s your Cameo,” it will be “Hey, this is Ettor, I play Big E on Smackdown, here’s your Cameo.” If this is enforced, it will create further separation between the real person and the character, which in turn will likely create even less buy-in from fans, while also helping to build the person’s non-WWE brand.  

TL;DR: This is a tone deaf move, even without considering the obvious independent contractors issues.

I don't think it'll help their non-WWE branding. If I'm the type of fan that doesn't know their real name, or doesn't even look online, and I go on Cameo and I want one from Big E, I'm going to type in Big E into the search bar. Not Ettor Ewen. From the speculation I've read online, stuff like this going forward can't even mention their on-screen characters, feature their merch, titles, etc. 

If I'm looking on Youtube, am I going to search for Gionna Daddio or Liv Morgan, if I want to see her channel? Dori Prange or Ruby Riott? Yes, I know their in-ring names are WWE IP, but they already give their employees so little in comparison to other sports, why not just allow them this?

The answer is that WWE wants to have their own Cameo like service, apparently. Where WWE would get most of the profit and the talent would get a sliver of it, as per usual to anything they do.

EDIT: Not to mention that, Big E currently charges $125 for a Cameo. If WWE makes their own service that's similar, and charges less, or even worse - a flat rate and you pick from a list of wrestlers - which is a fan more likely to choose?

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, bazzil said:

i was at the overseas tour (in Australia). i think Matt Hardy was also supposed to be there but at the time I was more dissapointed that Super Dragon also no showed and instead of Dragon vs Samoa Joe (which to me was pretty much the greatest thing imaginable at the time) we got Joe vs Test.

Yeah I went too. Weird night. I think I've still got the DVD.

I remember Rhyno and Jarrett having this brawl into the crowd, and some kid has gone and stolen the timekeepers bell off Jeremy Borash, and went to give it to Rhyno, and he's just stopped beating down Jarrett, broken character and absolutely berated this kid and told him no more show until he gave it back.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Corino also got a tryout as an commentator, but his forehead scars supposedly looked awful on camera and Vince hated him instantly.

Re: The social media platform ban.  If he's just cracking down on talent making money the side using theiR gimmick names, I don't have a big issue with it.  It's unfortunate for talent, but WWE does own the names/characters and it's a basic step took that most media and entertainment companies take to protect their ip's.  I'm actually hard-pressed to think of a major company in another entertainment field that would have let this get started in the first place.  

That said, knowing Vince, he'll take this a step too far and try to assert ownership of real names or start firing people for appearing on Jericho's podcast or something.  Also, this really doesn't seem like a great time to cut into performer's bottom line even further unless the goal is demoralize the roster.  I doubt performing in empty arenas under COVID precautions is a lot of fun, and without house shows and merch sales at live events, most wrestlers are probably making a lot less anyway.  No real surprise that Vince isn't great at reading the room, but....

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

If you believe Jericho, WWE talent is already banned from appearing on his podcast.

EDIT: And since WWE themselves mentioned wanting to be like Disney - RDJ or Chris Evans don't need to do Cameo, and if they ever do, they don't need to be Iron Man or Captain America, because they're well compensated for their labor. They get basic human rights, like healthcare, provided to them because of their union (which should be a universal thing - but that's for another board).

I get that WWE owns the IP, but Big E making a few thousand a month off the fruits of his labor by doing a simple video message isn't hurting the ultra rich WWE or the billionaire Vince McMahon. Give the wrestlers what other sports do, compensate them accordingly, etc etc or let these guys and girls make a little extra dough on the side by giving a fucking shout out or playing video games on Twitch or Q&A channels on YouTube. Jesus christ.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 4

I can understand not wanting talent to appear on a competitors podcast. Or doing outside media without approval. I mean, on a very smaller level, ive had comics creators unable to do my pod without approval from the office. So i just generally talk to independent creators to avoid those issues. 

Just now, odessasteps said:

I can understand not wanting talent to appear on a competitors podcast. Or doing outside media without approval. I mean, on a very smaller level, ive had comics creators unable to do my pod without approval from the office. So i just generally talk to independent creators to avoid those issues. 

How do you avoid those issues, in this case, when legally and even by WWE's own say, their talent are independent contractors, but they're treated like "employees"?