DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 hour ago, Morganti said:

I would say it shouldn't be filmed like a typical in arena brawl or match.

Which is why, while I can accept the arguments for it, I personally didn't consider the Backlot brawl as a cinematic match.  The Hardy Compound matches I just forgot about. 

I mean some of the old Hardcore Title stuff would almost qualify as "cinematic" if the only criteria is shot outside the arena/stadium/parkling lot where Ian Rotten set up to grift some locals...

Well then there is that Kota Ibushi "match" where he went through an apartment and umm, wrestled a bunch of people. Unless someone slipped me a hit of acid and I dreamed that. 

1 hour ago, joseph2112 said:

Well then there is that Kota Ibushi "match" where he went through an apartment and umm, wrestled a bunch of people. Unless someone slipped me a hit of acid and I dreamed that. 

I mean that sounds like something Kota would do during the ddt days.

Did it look more like an action comedy than an apartment brawl? Prolly counts lol.

6 hours ago, Eoae said:

Is there something new about the Angle/WWE story?  Meltzer and others have discussed Kurt’s addiction and the Wellness Policy meeting in great detail over the years and WWE even uploaded video footage from it (right before someone in management regained their senses and had it taken down).  Unless I’m missing something, Trevor Dame’s reporting a story I’ve heard at least a dozen times.

Pretty sure whoever posted it didn't know it was common knowledge.  I saw the link and knew what it was all about without even clicking.  BTW, that also shows you how out of touch WWE was even then.  Angle all but admits he's a prescrip drug addict and they STILL POSTED IT like it was no big deal.

I remember these facts with amazement: Kurt Angle (ESPN interview) said he was taking 65 extra strength Vicodin (as well as a medley of other pills AND booze (4 DUIs during his TNA stay)) a day. I stand in awe of how much doctor shopping, pharmacy driving, $$$ and just plain swallowing that entails. He went eventually (allegedly) holed up at home and kicked over 10 days. His f'n liver must look like a piece of buffalo jerky.

may The Great Spirit watch over him,

RAF

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I remember these facts with amazement: Kurt Angle (ESPN interview) said he was taking 65 extra strength Vicodin (as well as a medley of other pills AND booze (4 DUIs during his TNA stay)) a day. I stand in awe of how much doctor shopping, pharmacy driving, $$$ and just plain swallowing that entails. He went eventually (allegedly) holed up at home and kicked over 10 days. His f'n liver must look like a piece of buffalo jerky.

may The Great Spirit watch over him,

RAF

Del Wilkes went into detail on his pill use on Austin's podcast and it was very similar. Just tons of driving around to different pharmacies, visiting various doctors to get prescriptions, popping jaw dropping amounts of pills in one sitting, etc.

As far as kicking it cold turkey, I've heard a few celebrities and wrestlers say that's how they did it. IIRC, Shane Douglas said that one day he just rented a hotel room for a few days and just holed up there to get clean from whatever he was on. Slash from GnR said that whenever he got too deep into heroin and was about to go on tour or needed a break, he'd basically go to his parents' place, tell them he had the flu or something and just sweat and vomit for 3 or 4 days to get it out of his system. Of course, that's a pretty dangerous way to get clean as withdrawal can kill you without medical supervision and it doesn't treat the underlying reasons a person does drugs.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 3

If Covid goes away or whatever, WWE plans to either cut back even more on house shows or just scrap them all. I don't really think NXT will be effected and of course WWE live event shows outside of USA will still happen.

"Show Up and Win" is the next trademark to be filed for WWE.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You know, I could have seen Bigelow playing Lomez or Bob Sacamano. It was probably Bam Bam's appearance, but he just screamed to me "one of Kramer's wacky friends".

1 hour ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

If we get into a "casting wrestlers in the Seinfelds", you and I will be in a heap of trouble.

- RAF

p.s. - Harley Race as Alton Benes

Guys the obvious answer is Rick Sherman in The Fatigues. Think about it