DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

16 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I think a good answer is Halftime Heat. That wasn't all done in one take, right?

I was going to say that it didn't count because it all could've been done in a regular match, but then I remembered that asinine shot of the forklift lowering the pallet onto Rock

Edit: @bp great minds and all that

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

It's hard to describe how weird the Angle situation was.  His drug problem was *ahem* allegedly so bad that the company was afraid (after Benoit & Guerrero) to have another top guy die, so they let him walk.  I remember hearing him being interviewed on local radio shortly after his departure and he sounded so fucked up.  Can someone explain how he didn't die in TNA?  Because that's the one thing I don't remember, as I didn't watch their shows.  Was it a lightened schedule?  Did he see the light and get the help he declined while in WWE?  Both?  Something else?

Who would believe Renee confirming everything that her and Mox told Meltzer? She wasn't in the room and doesn't know about her own diagnosis and treatment by the company. 

---

on another note. the Island Death Match discussion reminded me - what are the ESSENTIAL Inoki matches? I don't need to watch the best per se but just like 6-8 most historically important matches.* I have never watched any of his stuff.

*I don' t need to watch the Death Island or Ali stuff. 

Edited by Hagan

I had largely checked out of WWE by 2005. I've seen the clip of "bestiality" but there's so much more to it. Wow. And that TNA "yeaaaah" clip is legendary.

Vince and pilled up Kurt were a dangerous combination.

Edited by Jiji
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Wouldn't call it essential but his match vs. The Great Antonio is something you should go out of your way to see if you haven't.  This big fat guy dicks around no-selling everything.  So Inoki puts an end to it by beating the legit shit out of him.

I think Bill Burr did a YouTube video where he did commentary on this match or at least he was describing what went down. It's pretty hilarious.

EDIT:

Edited by Craig H
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Does a cinematic match have to look like it was filmed cinematiclly? 

I would say it shouldn't be filmed like a typical in arena brawl or match.

Which is why, while I can accept the arguments for it, I personally didn't consider the Backlot brawl as a cinematic match.  The Hardy Compound matches I just forgot about. 

I mean some of the old Hardcore Title stuff would almost qualify as "cinematic" if the only criteria is shot outside the arena/stadium/parkling lot where Ian Rotten set up to grift some locals...

Is there something new about the Angle/WWE story?  Meltzer and others have discussed Kurt’s addiction and the Wellness Policy meeting in great detail over the years and WWE even uploaded video footage from it (right before someone in management regained their senses and had it taken down).  Unless I’m missing something, Trevor Dame’s reporting a story I’ve heard at least a dozen times.

1 hour ago, sydneybrown said:

Wouldn't call it essential but his match vs. The Great Antonio is something you should go out of your way to see if you haven't.  This big fat guy dicks around no-selling everything.  So Inoki puts an end to it by beating the legit shit out of him.

Didn't have the Great Antonio some serious mental health issues? I have seen clips of that "match" in the past and find it pretty disturbing, especially considering the issues the Great Antonio apparently had.