DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I would argue that most of the alternative candidates for first cinematic match aren't actually cinematic matches, because they were shot like traditional wrestling matches and just spliced/edited.

However,  I forgot about the Hardy Compound matches, which is where the actual cinematic style I was talkin about was started I think.  With the drone cams, the obvious retakes and more movie fight scene than wrestling brawl camera work.

2 hours ago, elizium said:

Was the Island Death Match edited? I can't imagine it was shown live

The match time was 2 hours 5 minutes 14 seconds. The VHS shows the entire match plus arrivals by boat. Inoki did not come out of his tent/locker room for about the first hour of the match. Whatever was shown on TV had to be edited, of course. The VHS actually has a Fuji TV logo on it, but no mention of Asahi TV. It was just a lot of laying around in holds. Not cinematic to me.

1 hour ago, Morganti said:

I would argue that most of the alternative candidates for first cinematic match aren't actually cinematic matches, because they were shot like traditional wrestling matches and just spliced/edited.

However,  I forgot about the Hardy Compound matches, which is where the actual cinematic style I was talkin about was started I think.  With the drone cams, the obvious retakes and more movie fight scene than wrestling brawl camera work.

I think the Hollywood Backlot Brawl would fall in line with this, while the Boiler Room Brawls would not. I’m not really sure I’ve ever seen the Dustin/Bully match.

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

I think the Hollywood Backlot Brawl would fall in line with this, while the Boiler Room Brawls would not. I’m not really sure I’ve ever seen the Dustin/Bully match.

Don't.

It's clear somebody wrote down the idea "fight on a moving truck" and everyone thought it was such a good idea without anybody going "You know, physics-wise, it's near impossible to stand on a moving vehicle, much less have a match" which lead to a match where two guys fall down a lot and then bleed and get fired for it.

"Listen, anything I say on this is gonna end up seeming like controversial or like I'm shitting on it or whatever," she said, "but, yeah, did I feel a little slighted? I didn't really feel like anyone was all that concerned that I got sick. That bothered me for sure. 

"But, you know, it's hard to say. Again, it's like, shit, the show goes on and now they're working at the Amway Center and they're essentially doing the best that they can NOW. Now doing the proper tests. I think that was something that should've been implemented from the beginning. Since everything that's gone down and however many people ended up getting sick, now it feels like a much safer environment. Even when I was there for SummerSlam, I was definitely less concerned about it knowing that everyone in the building has been properly tested with the nose swab and whatnot." 

When the discussion shifted gears to how the WWE handled things with corona in March and April by keeping the shows going, Young said, "It was shocking. It really shocking to see that this was deemed essential business. That made it seem like, hold on a second here."

Source: https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2020/09/01/renee-young-wwe-covid-departure-aew-si-media-podcast?utm_source=reddit.com

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Morganti said:

Random Thought.

Was Orange Cassidy vs Stokely Hathaway the first "Cinematic" match?

Besides the others mentioned, have we so quickly forgotten Broken Matt Hardy and the Hardy Compound?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I unironically loved that batshit insane match. It was the closest thing I will ever get to Werner Herzog making a wrestling match movie.

I also love the Final Deletion match between Broken Matt Hardy and Jeff Hardy. Gave it the full five. I was crying with laughter. 

"Brother Nero, I knew you'd come."

"It's ovah!!! Oh, shit!!!"

"It's a dilapidated boat!"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

The Big Japan super market death match deserves some praise, even has music over it. 

Speaking of super markets; Austin v Booker, while not a match, is still one of the best taped segments WWE has ever done.

Booker's facial expressions & reactions through the whole beat down are just... *Chef kiss*

Fuck he was so under utilised through his career.

• Like 2

Halftime Heat was shot in pieces, but it mostly looks like it could have been one take. Historically, Foley has said he hated the insert shot of the Rock reacting to the forklift at the end, but he’d probably give his other ear to be in a cinematic match at WrestleMania next year.  

• Like 1