DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

God this is what they should've done literally years ago. Let him be a cool, arrogant asshole.

Exactly, I was 13-14 when NWO started but they had a huge fanbase of teens/young adults who loved them because they were the cool/hip thing.  Roman can be a heel and likely have a stronger fanbase in the IWC than when he was a face.  Kids will probably still love him too.  Best move WWE could have made by pairing him with Paul. 

3 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Can we get an episode of Rupaul's Drag Race where Natural Born Killers hits and New Jack turns up on the runway and starts destroying people with plunder while Rupaul looks on unimpressed.

Sure, let's televise hate crimes. What could go wrong?

Edited by mattdangerously
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Eivion said:

Feels like Rey always spends a good amount of his time injured whenever contracted to WWE. 

Whenever Rey injury news come up, I think of interview he did for WCW (I'm thinking it was somewhere around the time Nash threw him like a lawn dart into the side of a production truck).  I only vaguely remember the interview, but Rey was at least somewhat out of character during it and talked about how he wanted to make a million and retire before he was 30 so he didn't become one of those guys who hangs on too long and can't go and jeopardizes their well-being for life after wrestling.

I kind of wish he'd stuck to that plan.  

• Like 3

It's a damn shame we never got a singles match between Kansai and Hokuto. The elimination match with LCO/Suzuka vs. Team JWP was really neat and looked to be setting up a potential singles match. They had a bunch of tag matches in GAEA. I remember getting a couple of GAEA tapes back in the day and just being blown away by the quality. I don't think I had seen much of AJW at the time, but I'd love to get a bunch of GAEA footage after I go through more AJW archives.

Speaking of, I think Dan Ginnetty must have done a two-parter or redone the AJW collection he previously released because I only had maybe 30 or so discs (which is still a lot!) in the set I got from him and it's almost entirely '90-'92. Something else to look into, though AJW Classics fills in a lot of the gaps I'd imagine.

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

It's a damn shame we never got a singles match between Kansai and Hokuto. The elimination match with LCO/Suzuka vs. Team JWP was really neat and looked to be setting up a potential singles match. They had a bunch of tag matches in GAEA. I remember getting a couple of GAEA tapes back in the day and just being blown away by the quality. I don't think I had seen much of AJW at the time, but I'd love to get a bunch of GAEA footage after I go through more AJW archives.

Speaking of, I think Dan Ginnetty must have done a two-parter or redone the AJW collection he previously released because I only had maybe 30 or so discs (which is still a lot!) in the set I got from him and it's almost entirely '90-'92. Something else to look into, though AJW Classics fills in a lot of the gaps I'd imagine.

Re: Kansai vs. Hokuto

I still haven't seen Aja/Hokuto vs. Hotta/Kansai from 8/24/94, which has gotten nothing but stellar reviews. The Kandori/Hokuto vs. Aja/Bull match kinda was a turn off for certain inter-promotional super matches because (1) Aja legits KOs Kandori early in the match and (2) Bull had been pretty much phased down at that point and looks disinterested. I'm debating finishing that match, and then watching the other match.

*In defense of that particular match, the Aja Kong MDK head kick on Kandori probably wasn't even the most scary moment in one of those inter promotional matches. In the 2nd Kudo/Toyoda vs. 1987 Team Gold Combo match at the 93 FMW Anniversary show (the first one was the main event of Dream Slam I a month earlier)...I dunno what Kudo and Toyoda had against their former juniors in the AJW dojo but they almost commit manslaughter doing the Doomsday Device on Manami Toyota. It's on par with the Henry Godwinn and JJ Dillion WarGames ones. Manami has the bright idea to twist on the way down and just eats it (in a unintentionally hilarious moment, Kudo turns her back at the moment of impact and raises her arms to the FMW crowd in celebration like, "Yeah, WE KILLED MANAMI!"). It looks like she thought she broke her nose because she's clutching at the face even as Kudo is trying to do the Hotta Pyramid Driver on her. They kinda botch it, and then Kudo just hits a Tiger Suplex hold on her for the finish. That was bonkers, but then I watched the Dreamslam I match and Toyota takes a brutal (but somehow not as brutal) Doomsday Device there.

And not to let Aja completely off the hook, in the Thunder Queen Battle match that went 60 minutes, she stomps on Ozaki's head as she's pinning Kyoko. That stomp pretty much broke Ozaki's orbital bone (her eye blows up within seconds) and splits Kyoko wide open hardway because they bonked heads in the process. That created drama in the match (in the fortunate juice sense) as Kyoko works a long stretch later on like a house of fire. However, it's still extremely reckless.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

The extra violence and nastiness in interpromotional matches is definitely a thing.

I remember Nakamura getting pissy about Suwama in an interpromotional tag in his book and it sounds like Suwama was trying to keep tradition and be uncooperative and Shinsuke didn't get the vibe they were going old school. Or Suwama was just being a prick. *shrug*

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jiji said:

The extra violence and nastiness in interpromotional matches is definitely a thing.

I remember Nakamura getting pissy about Suwama in an interpromotional tag in his book and it sounds like Suwama was trying to keep tradition and be uncooperative and Shinsuke didn't get the vibe they were going old school. Or Suwama was just being a prick. *shrug*

Suwama called NJPW ballet pro wrestling.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

No. 

The Dustin/Bully match or Goldust/Piper are likely candidates from the 90s. 

I mean could you make the argument that Lawler vs Funk Empty Arena match one?  Or are we saying that isn't because they didn't edit anything?

3 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

The two that started in the ring had decent work rate, however the match was let down by the needless high spot to the outside towards the end. A word for the entertaining work by the manager on the outside. Still, it was more entertaining than 90% of Raw.

***1/2

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I mean could you make the argument that Lawler vs Funk Empty Arena match one?  Or are we saying that isn't because they didn't edit anything?

I wouldn't think it counts, since it wasnt pre-produced or edited. 

1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

1) I only know Main Event is still a thing because for some reason Ali's ended up wrestling on that show a couple times in the last month.

2) WHY IS THIS HAPPENING ON A SHOW NOBODY KNOWS STILL EXISTS?!

This would be main event material on Dynamite. Or literally any other promotion.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This would be main event material on Dynamite. Or literally any other promotion.

You're complaining that a match that should be a Main Event match is instead a 'main event' match?

• Sad 1