DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Road to G1 Climax 30

Archibald

So we get a short tour before G1 and this is probably where we will see G1 participants and matches announced. This could easily go into G1 thread, but I figure we could use a separate one since it has some other interesting bits as well.

In total we will have 4 streamed shows on 5th, 6th, 9th and 11th.

11th show has announced NEVER trios title rematch of Goto/Yoshi/Ishii vs Okada/Yano/Sho. Their first match was good so I expect this one to be good as well.

Next we have Jr. tag titles tournament to determine new champs since Yoh is not coming back for a while. Announced teams are: Taguchi/Wato, Hiromu/Bushi, Desperado/Kanemaru and Ishimori/Gedo. It is a round robin tournament with two top scoring teams facing off on 11th show. I feel like any of the first three teams can win this and Ishimori/Gedo is here to set up some defence for Ishimori.

And since only two matches (trios titles match and Jr. tournament finals) have been announced for last show it is theoretically possibly that we might get something else set up during this tour.

• Like 1

https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001074.html

Japan's foreign ministry announced on the 28th that it will allow ....

"all foreign nationals with the status of residence who have left and will leave Japan before 31st August 2020 with a valid re-entry permit, are now eligible to re-enter Japan from 1st September 2020."

Have to imagine NJPW is looking at what gaijin on their roster fit in that category and see if they can be brought in in time for the G1 (as well as KENTA, as he lives in Florida full-time).

• Like 1

Not surprisingly two Ishimori/Gedo tag matches were whatever, while other three teams worked nice with each other. Unfortunately it looks like we might be going for a 3-way.

In other news wrestlers who talked about G1 in post match comments: Nagata, Kojima, Honma, Suzuki. Obviously some others mentioned as well, but those 4 weren't in it last year and Nagata should technically be retired from G1 so I think it is worth mentioning.