DVDVR Message Board

RIP Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

nofuture

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

He was clearly struggling with something because @RIPPAand I had a little back and forth many months back about his strange weight loss in the Upcoming Movies thread. Plus, he trended for a whole day on Twitter not too long ago with people making jokes about his frail appearance, which obviously is horrible in hindsight. I was holding out hope nothing was seriously wrong with him.

I think my exact quote when the trailer for Da 5 Bloods came out was "well now we know the role he lost all that weight for"

I still remember us joking years ago had he had become the default "guy to play famous blacks" since he was Jackie Robinson, James Brown and Thurgood Marshall AND was also becoming "young athletic black man to always be in sports movies" since he had already done Jackie Robinson, Draft Day and The Express

Everything sucks

• Sad 4

Just awful. And to think that he was doing Marvel movies will all the physical demands that entails while battling cancer. His like won't pass this way again anytime soon. What a great talent and tough SOB. He will be missed.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Watched Black Panther again. Got very broken up over the spirit plane scene. 

I just still can't believe this. 

Yeah, those scenes came to mind as difficult to watch for what we now know. I've cried a couple of times today. It's so sad, man.

Edited by The Natural

A lot of people are calling for Marvel to not recast the role - and there's simultaneous anger towards those thinking about the franchise instead of the man. I get both sides, since I think everyone is caught off guard by this and dealing with the grief in their own way.

Honestly though? I keep thinking about Mr. Boseman playing James Brown and threatening people with a shotgun for taking a shit in his toilet, and I can't help but smile ?

I don't want to get too deep into that yet, but it's a tough spot for Marvel. You don't want to just replace him I wouldn't think, but you also certainly wouldn't want to see the most prominent, by far, black character/franchise in their empire vanish.

They're almost 100% going to recast the role of Black Panther. But T'Challa won't be recast, that I'm very sure of. There were already rumors this year that Black Panther 2 would see Shuri become the Black Panther.

Anyway, rest in power, King. This is horrible and I'm still shocked. In addition to his cancer, I also didn't know/realize he was in his 40s.

• Like 1

I try not to think of this stuff so soon after a passing, but yeah in all likelihood they will just have Shuri take the mantle. Recasting Boseman this far in just isn't realistic, especially with the job he did in the role.

• Like 1

Just so everyone is aware, it's just a sad cartoon in the spoiler tag. It's not anything bad or graphic. My heart sunk a little bit, thinking it was a paparazzi picture of Chadwick or first responders at his house or something.

• Like 4